Gransnet forums

Chat

I really need to tidy the bathroom cupboard!

(40 Posts)
Katek Tue 10-Oct-17 23:21:08

I narrowly missed spraying deodorant on my head and dry shampoo under my arms this morning! Spotted my mistake at the last moment. Could have been worse-there's an air freshener in there as well. Time for some rearrangement methinks.

Tegan2 Wed 11-Oct-17 00:38:18

Not as bad as the lady who put super glue in her eye instead of eye drops shock. For some reason, my bathroom cabinet is one of the few tidy things in my house! Mind you, I did have a bath using ginger oil drops instead of frankincense the other night; I realised pretty quickly that it was the wrong stuff but was too tired to get out of the bath and just showered it off afterwards in case it made my skin itch.

Grannyknot Wed 11-Oct-17 07:01:30

I've had a busy week and a house full of guests. I have put (a) hair conditioner on my face instead of moisturiser and (b) used (very nice) foot balm from Neals Yard on my bodd-ay. smile

Luckygirl Wed 11-Oct-17 08:55:48

And I need to clean the fridge - every day I promise myself I will do it; and every day I get to bed and think Darn I did not do it!

Katek Wed 11-Oct-17 10:50:06

tegan2 - wasn't the ginger oil bath a little nippy on the nether regions?!? grin

lemongrove Wed 11-Oct-17 11:01:32

I enjoy cleaning out the bathroom cabinet and cupboards, never know what I will find.?
Almost put ear drops in my eye the other year, so am more careful now about what I use.

loopyloo Wed 11-Oct-17 11:03:27

Everywhere in this house needs clearing out. Where do you people start?

Tegan2 Wed 11-Oct-17 12:52:44

loopy; that's where I am. Just back from holiday; haven't unpacked yet and had left the house in an even bigger mess than I'd thought. Watched that extreme house cleaning programme last night to cheer myself up whilst wondering if they could come and help me [white overalls and all]...katek; surprisingly the ginger didn't sting but, had I not had a shower I bet I would have been scratching all night. It smelt horrible [but then again, so does the frankincense]. Should have stuck to the lavender....

LadyGracie Wed 11-Oct-17 12:59:38

When one of you has finished clearing out your cabinets can you please come and do mine?

gillybob Wed 11-Oct-17 13:03:00

I don't have a bathroom cabinet, just a tiny free standing chrome stand/thingy that holds the very bear/bare essentials.

I love clearing out, its my second favourite hobby. Sad I know.

Hipsy Wed 11-Oct-17 13:11:12

I am now intrigued gillybob First favourite hobby??

gillybob Wed 11-Oct-17 13:13:28

Ha ha (touching side of nose) that really would be telling Hipsy wink

grannysue05 Wed 11-Oct-17 13:50:44

I don't have a bathroom cabinet...rather a drawer under the basin unit. This gets cleared out regularly as it is so handy.
But I spruce my DS's house once a fortnight (no Mum to sort this out for DS and GC's).
Lat week I tackled his bathroom cabinet and threw out six (yes SIX) old/finished toothpaste tubes, two empty deodorant sprays, one defunct electric toothbrush and numerous (?used) cotton ear buds!

Auntieflo Wed 11-Oct-17 13:52:46

I have made a start. Last week cleared the bathroom cabinet of old/ out of date creams etc. There is now room for more stuff/rubbish. This week I have defrosted our two freezers, and feel very virtuous. We are going away for a few days tomorrow, and when I come back I want to 'upcycle' a glass fronted cabinet. I have bought the sandpaper and the paint. ?

yggdrasil Wed 11-Oct-17 15:31:55

At the risk of getting shouted at, if you all went and did it instead of chatting on Gransnet...... grin

Katek Wed 11-Oct-17 15:44:14

But GN is more fun!!

radicalnan Thu 12-Oct-17 10:22:28

I spent yesterday re cluttering, got all the crap out and put it all back in different places.

Myym Thu 12-Oct-17 11:23:32

For those asking how to tackle the build up of jobs...For what it's worth, my advice is to try not to look at the mammoth tasks as a whole. Simply decide on which room to tidy and then methodically (an hour or so each day) do all the jobs even if it takes a week per room. This week I have 'done' the kitchen: cupboards/ drawers..defrosted fridge/freezer...cleaned cooker. Trying to deep clean all the rooms at the same time just becomes too daunting and easier to say "sod it" and end up doing none of it.
I'm not totally ocd and I definitely do not spend my whole day cleaning...but I do hate clutter and mess.

GrannyGravy13 Thu 12-Oct-17 11:38:27

I was in a hurry to get out of the house this morning, applied 'leave in conditioner' to damp hair, proceeded to blow dry, then noticed that the smell was that of Elizabeth Arden 8 hour cream hand lotion!!! No time to re-wash, the result beautiful silky fragrant hair, had 3 compliments so far on how soft and shiny it looks. Think I may change my hair regime. Not sure how it happened as my bathroom toiletries are neatly ordered (only room other than dining room which is)

inishowen Thu 12-Oct-17 11:54:34

I've stayed in hotels and used the freebie products without knowing what they were! When you're in the shower with no glasses, you just guess whether it's shampoo, conditioner or body wash.

Myym Thu 12-Oct-17 13:17:56

I did once mistake a tube of 'Deep Heat' and applied it to very sore sunburnt legs ?Ouch!! I still remember the tears as I sat on the edge of the bath trying to wash it off with cool water!
Then there was the time I applied hair dye that was Ash Blonde. I soon found out that my hair doesn't like the ash dye.... It all went a vivid shade of green ?

Sheilasue Thu 12-Oct-17 14:56:06

Love a clear out. Often chucking things out of cupboards. The larder had a spring clean a few days ago.
Like to be organised.

lovebeigecardigans1955 Thu 12-Oct-17 15:31:01

Um yes, I've still got an old Vicks Vapour Rub which is a decade past its sell by date. Whoops.
When I opened it it still smells as it should so I guess I'll hang onto it until I've sniffed the last of it. Touch wood, it hasn't killed me yet.

Rosina Thu 12-Oct-17 15:45:53

At one time when rushing about wildly trying to do all the things we young mothers had to do before school I sprayed the front of my hair each morning for about two weeks with Pledge furniture polish - the can was in the bathroom cupboard alongside my hair spray and had somehow worked itself into the front position where the hairspray should have been! I didn't know what I had done until someone remarked that my fringe looked a bit 'strange'. Perhaps I should have tidied the bathroom cupboard a bit more often, even in those hectic days.

Belleringer Thu 12-Oct-17 16:18:07

I needed to sterilise a demijohn (cider making with the fallen apples) and found some baby bottle sterilising tablets in the cupboard. My youngest child was 30 last year! They seemed to work fine, good strong smell of chlorine.