Gransnet forums

Chat

'Women who swear are happier'.

(129 Posts)
Teetime Sun 29-Oct-17 09:44:09

In the Style supplement of the Sunday Times we are told of Dr Emma Bryne whose new book 'Swearing is Good for You:The amazing Science of Bad Language', who claims that swearing helps us cope with physical and emotional pain. This assertion is upheld by India Knight who says' Hurrah' for swearing . apparently we swear five times as much s we did 20 years ago. I realise we have had a thread on swearing before but now we have a 'scientist' telling us its good for us. I still swear words are ugly parts of the language and whilst I'm not above a bxxxcks when stuck in a sand bunker or lost my fifth ball in the river generally speaking I swear less now than I used to. DH hates it and doesn't swear. Dr Byrne further asserts that swearers tend to be highly literate, fluent and have large vocabularies. So my question is not do you swear but what do you think of this load of bxxxxcks? grin

KatyK Sun 29-Oct-17 09:49:21

I have always hated swearing. My father was a violent drunk and his language in the house in front of young children was horrible. I say the odd (rather mild) expletive when annoyed or frustrated but have never used really bad swear words. So no it wouldn't make me happier if I swore more.

Anniebach Sun 29-Oct-17 09:59:19

Oh dear, explains much about me doesn't it. Does it mean those among us who have large vocabularies swear rather a lot?

I dislike foul language , am fond of 'sod it' though . Will not tolerate the f word or blasphemy in my home . My parents didn't swear and wouldn't allow it in our home. B

I was told when young, people use swear words because they have a low vocabulary

Oldwoman70 Sun 29-Oct-17 10:07:28

Like most people I have been known to swear but not often - last time was when I dropped my phone and thought I had broken it (I hadn't!) and even then it was only a mild "oh bugger".

I think the English language is varied and rich enough that we can find ways of expressing ourselves without resorting to swearing.

grannysue05 Sun 29-Oct-17 10:11:01

We were returning from a lovely dinner last night with friends, and had to walk through the town centre to get to the car park.
There were some very drunken people (not really "youths") outside a hotel, and the swearing was something to behold.
I don't think these people were highly literate,fluent and with large vocabularies.
Like Annie I use "sod it", and rarely "b....y h....l" but that's about it really.
Really bad language grates.

Luckygirl Sun 29-Oct-17 10:12:32

So that's why I am so cheerful! smile

paddyann Sun 29-Oct-17 10:40:20

I never swear and I dont allow it in my home ,a lot of folk think its odd as swearing is so commonplace now ,its how I was raised .I cringe at some peoples language ,its appalling.

ninathenana Sun 29-Oct-17 10:50:44

I hold my hands up, I do swear but not in general conversation as often heard. I swear when something goes wrong or I break something. My mum would utter the odd b***dy thing or s**t on the same basis.
One word I never use and hate to hear is c**t

dbDB77 Sun 29-Oct-17 11:02:37

I agree with the non-swearers - DH & I don't swear (apart from very occasional mild words) & our friends don't - the children (grown-up) don't swear in front of us but probably do amongst themselves and their friends - maybe it's a generational thing? Or an age/parental thing? because they certainly do not swear in front of the DGC.
In the town centre yesterday I heard a lot of the F-word - it's so commonplace & I hate to hear it - and I wonder what language & words these people use when they are really angry or exasperated?

Day6 Sun 29-Oct-17 11:04:01

Teetime, I'd say Dr Emma Byrne has a book to promote and if it's controversial and we discuss it, it's click-bait and good publicity.

Didn't know her name until now. grin

I too disagree. People have always sworn to let off steam. What's new? She is trying to make a science of the fact.

I can swear and often do, but rarely in public. I am impatient and that is the cause mostly of any bad language I might use. I normally swear to myself and nothing much shocks me. I hate to hear swearing in public though and often tut when I hear people mouthing off.

Lack of sensitivity for the feelings of others is very rude I think. Why should they inflict their cursing on those within their hearing? (I feel the same way about people who play their music too loudly too. Why inflict it on others who might not like it?)

Baggs Sun 29-Oct-17 11:10:40

I don't think what Byrne argues is bollocks. It's not even new. I can't remember when or where but I've read the arguments she gives before.

I've argued on GN before that swear words can be, and often are, padders and emphasis adders. Also that I think it's patronising to use asterisks in words like bollocks. It's not as if someone using asterisks isn't actually using the word they're 'hiding'.

BBbevan Sun 29-Oct-17 11:15:52

What I really dislike are the people who use the 'f' word as their only adjective.
Other than that I say 'oh b----r ' when needs must.
I knew a woman who shouted ' Horlicks' !!!! When she needed to swear. It sounded quite effective ?

BlueBelle Sun 29-Oct-17 11:20:55

Swearing in the right place can be good, after all they are only words... like you Day6 most of my swearing is at myself and done in my own company
Nowadays most people use F...as a normal word as in ‘I had a f.....good time’ or ‘I climbed a f.......big mountain ‘ or an exclamation ‘well f....me’ just in the same way Blimey used to be consider a bad swear word but now means nothing
It’s interesting how swear words change in my Mum and Dads era Blast, Damn, and Bloody hell with the odd Bugger thrown in were around you rarely hear them now ......where do they come from why would damn or blast be swearing I must look the original meanings up I m sure Blimey comes from Blind me but why blind me and not blind you
Now you ve started something ?

kittylester Sun 29-Oct-17 11:21:02

Some swear words are so anomatapeaic (sp!) though aren't they. I love 'sh*t' for a good short expletive - never in front of the dgc!

I think I've told before about DH'S nurse who was taught by her 3 older brothers that 'sh*t, b****r, a**e-h**e' was the correct thing to say on your first day at school. It is a satisfying thing to say in extremis but is often shortened to 'sba' which seems to help as much!

And, of course, I feel completely justified in calling the Idiot 'the a***-h**e' most of the time!

grannyactivist Sun 29-Oct-17 11:34:28

As a child swearing was the backdrop to my life and I hated it. Really hated it. I hated being sworn at or hearing others being sworn at. I hated how it fuelled anger between my raging parents - and I determined that I wouldn't do it. And I haven't. The only time I have ever sworn is when repeating verbatim what others have said; mostly when I was a social worker or, very rarely, when I was teaching.
For a time in her teens it was my daughter's explicit aim to behave badly enough to get me to swear at her, but it didn't happen.
I teach English and I understand that words are just words and their usage and meaning changes over time. For children born today I expect the use of what we consider swear words will be incorporated into everyday language; if you watch the 'Educating' series on iPlayer (Channel 4) you will hear children using what we think of as the 'milder' swear words and teachers don't bat an eye.

CherryHatrick Sun 29-Oct-17 11:35:29

My swear word range is not wide; a quiet "bugger" when something goes wrong, a more expletive "shit" when I have done something stupid, and a "Bloody Nora!" when DH is being particularly obtuse. I did once tell my mother that she should not swear at me as my teacher said it was naughty....her reply: "You would make Jesus Christ swear!"

Teetime Sun 29-Oct-17 11:38:45

bags are you saying I'm patronising (I used xx rather than asterisks)?

Riverwalk Sun 29-Oct-17 11:42:50

I'm another happy soul! smile

MinniesMum Sun 29-Oct-17 11:49:52

"Sod it" and "Knickers" tend to be my expletives of choice - the F word is out completely. I get really annoyed when people say it on TV, even if it just Eff off.

ffinnochio Sun 29-Oct-17 11:52:26

I don’t have an blanket dislike of swearing. Depends on the when, where and how it’s used. Also the choice of swear words used.

I haven’t read the article, and even if a link was provided, it would be behind a pay wall, so cannot form an opinion on what she says specifically.

There is though a frisson, or heightening of emphasis that swear words engender in a way that other words cannot, which I find thoroughly enjoyable. smile

Baggs Sun 29-Oct-17 11:56:25

I am saying that using asterisks in place of letters in words one doesn't approve of is patronising. One is using the word and one knows what it is, and so do one's readers, so it is a pretence to use asterisks.

If anyone wants to interpret that as me saying they are patronising rather than that the practice of using asterisks is patronising, that's up to them. If I were a user of asterisks and someone said it to me, I might rethink what I was doing and change or I might disregard someone else's opinion and carry on using asterisks. Again, it's up to individuals to decide for themselves. I'm only expressing my own opinion.

AlieOxon Sun 29-Oct-17 11:56:28

I am not normally a swearer. BUT I find it a good idea to save those words for extreme occasions. Like when I fell and broke my wrist!

Baggs Sun 29-Oct-17 11:57:00

Nicely put, ffinn.

ninathenana Sun 29-Oct-17 11:57:32

A lady (she did behave like one) smile I worked with would say
sugar!! if something went wrong. I used this at the checkout the other day and the young cashier nearly fell of her chair laughing.

JackyB Sun 29-Oct-17 11:58:13

Sometimes I've thought "this warrants an f-word" and tried using it, but I can't say I feel any the better for it. Quite the opposite: it makes me feel embarrassed and soiled.