Gransnet forums

Chat

Soop's very welcoming kitchen...

(1000 Posts)
soop Wed 06-Dec-17 09:28:11

Here we are again
Happy as can be
All good friends and jolly good company.
Never mind the weather
Never mind the rain
As long as we're together -
Woops we go again.

WELCOME! flowers sunshine brew wine grin

MawBroon Wed 06-Dec-17 09:35:48

hmmI have just written a long (ish) post plus a picture and thought I had checked that there was still space , or so I thought, but when I tried to post, it said the thread had been closed.
Not sure I have the energy to try again, as my “copy and paste” efforts were also rejected sad

harrigran Wed 06-Dec-17 09:40:49

Good morning Maw smile

Greyduster Wed 06-Dec-17 10:01:11

Good morning, the new kitchen! Maw it is so frustrating when that happens, and sometimes you think “just can’t be bothered to do it all again! How are you today?
I am just off for ‘visit the dentist take two’. Today is the RIGHT day! Yesterday was the wrong day.
I will look in later. Save me a seat!

morethan2 Wed 06-Dec-17 10:25:28

Ohh lovely a new kitchen. I wonder if I’ll be able to keep up with the banter this time! I’m off to spend a week with my family up north next week. Then back home before Christmas. Three days later the whole family are driving to Scotland for Christmas. I think my very ill DiL is hoping to give her children a white Christmas. I’m not sure she’ll get her wish.

annodomini Wed 06-Dec-17 10:29:24

Maw, no wonder you are short of energy today. There is a huge sense of ant-climax which accentuates the feeling of a gap in one's life. Do you still have any of your family with you?

annodomini Wed 06-Dec-17 10:30:17

Don' t know what 'ant-climax' means, but my laptop clearly does!

Marydoll Wed 06-Dec-17 10:56:05

Just popping into say hello. I made lemon drizzle cake and ginger muffins for everyone. However, my kids popped in last night and snaffled most of themsad
Same thing happened to me last night Maw. I spent ages messaging a GN friend and it all disappeared.

Sar53 Wed 06-Dec-17 13:02:37

Hello everyone, a lovely sparkling kitchen. I've made some tea and bought some biscuits, please help yourselves.
I've just been to see one of my step DGS in his nursery nativity. So sweet seeing 3 and 4 year olds singing their hearts out !!!
Waiting to hear from DD1 after her visit to the midwife. Only 5 weeks to go and her blood pressure was up last time. She had pre-eclampsia with DGD so feeling a little apprehensive.

Crafting Wed 06-Dec-17 14:16:00

Hello sar53 thank you for the brew and biscuits. Just got in from shopping. Cold and wet so a nice cuppa would be more than welcome tchsmile

soop thank you for opening another kitchen for us. We seem to be getting through them so quickly. Sit down for a bit of a natter then whoosh off to the next one. But it is a good thing as it means lots of folks are getting chat and comfort from popping in. Hope your day goes well. Say hello ? to MacS from me ?

Baggs Wed 06-Dec-17 14:20:45

Soopers don't half get through kitchens fast! Luckily for you all, I've found it so I can deliver the apple cake I just made.

Crafting Wed 06-Dec-17 14:20:47

Hello maw sorry your post and photo went missing. I'm sure we'd like to see the photo when you feel like trying again. Hope you and hattie are looking after each other.
(gentle hug) x

Crafting Wed 06-Dec-17 14:23:07

Wow! Thanks Baggs. I nearly missed that. Was on my way out off the door when the sight of your lovely apple cake had me racing back in. Yummy tchgrin

kittylester Wed 06-Dec-17 15:21:06

I've found it too!!

I hope everyone is ok.

I'm about to nip out to so the school run but thought you'd like to hear about Bertie's nativity play. He was 1St camel and had to nod his head a lot. He's a good boy and did lots of vigorous nodding to the extent that his head fell off - twice. Second time he put it back on backwards and almost caused a stampede! tchgrin

Baggs Wed 06-Dec-17 16:01:50

That's so funny (and lovely!), kitty! ?

It is a very good apple cake, tho' I sez it myself! MrBaggs said so too: "Best cake I've had in ages".

NanaandGrampy Wed 06-Dec-17 16:26:38

Afternoon !!

ooooh a new kitchen. How lovely !!

Ah buggerations Maw I hate it when that happens !

'ant climax' sounds a bit rude Anno or is it just my mind? ;-)

Hope all is well Sar53 - a new baby in the kitchen is worth celebrating !!

Now that looks like my kind of cake Baggs !! May I have a chunk ( slices are for wimps) ;-)

Oh Kitty that did make me laugh. 1st camel is quite an honour !! I have prized video of our youngest daughter as the Virgin Mary not only picking her nose but she then proceeded to poke the baby Jesus eye out !!! It doesn't bode well for her !! smile

We have been putting decorations up here ! I may yet kill Grampy ( leg of lamb on standby) !! I remember now why our daughter always helps me ....he's such a Grinch!!!!!!

I have attached a photo of our first item, lovingly crafted by Jackson 2 years ago!! But I have found our Christmas mugs so I'm off for a mocha and to dream of ways of disposing of the old chaps body!!

annsixty Wed 06-Dec-17 16:38:12

I have been out to a neighbours house for a coffee.
As it will be the last time we will see each other before the festivities the other neighbour and I were treated to a glass of Proseccco, what a treat at 3 pm.
I am in the Christmas spirit now.

soop Wed 06-Dec-17 16:56:57

Home again to find a lovely busy kitchen. Baggs I dare you to cut a wee slice off your apple cake, wrap it well and take it to Edinburgh. MacSporran would so lurve it.

Maw feet up, allow yourself some precious "me time".

kitty What a lovely nativity play story. Yours, too N&G

Sar53 Your daughter's baby and our first great grandchild are due to make an entrance within a short time of each other. Do you live close to your daughter?

Marydoll I had fish, chips and mushy peas for lunch. However...should you find a lone ginger muffin, it would go very nicely with the pot of tea that I'm sipping slurping.

morethan2 I have a feeling that there may well be a beautiful white Christmas for your daughter's visit to Scotland. smile

It was a heck of a journey along a sodden road that had mini floods in the low lying areas. The spray kicked up by overtaking traffic, made for tricky driving conditions.
We treated ourselves to the fish lunch as usual. MacSporran say that we're worth it. I agreed. wink
The haematologist was pleased that Mac's latest blood samples remain stable. She did tell me that MacS cancer cannot be cured BUT he will continue to be monitored regularly. It appears that the largest cluster of infected lymph nodes are lying fairly close to the aortic aneurysm in his abdomen. He coped with the flu-like virus. It certainly took its toll over the two months he was poorly but he rallied. He's a tough cookie and I love him.

soop Wed 06-Dec-17 16:59:06

ann I have a fondness for Prosecco. I always like to hear that you have enjoyed a treat. I want you to have as many treats as you can cope with. grin

soop Wed 06-Dec-17 17:09:27

Right! Time to do stuff aboot the hoos. It's blowing hard out there. The sea is mighty choppy. Ironing duties tomorrow morning. Back to catch up with you lot after lunch.

Stay safe and keep warm. smile moon

Baggs Wed 06-Dec-17 17:12:38

Since it is quite a large cake, soop, I've cut a slab off and put it in the freezer for MacSporran. Should this frozen part somehow inexplicably get eaten before our Edinburgh meet-up next Wednesday ?, I'll see about making another.

Sar53 Wed 06-Dec-17 17:27:01

Baggs that Apple cake looks delicious! Kitty my step DGS was the Innkeeper this morning, I so love the little ones performing their plays.
N&G everything ok, blood pressure good today. Soop, my daughter lives about 50 miles away but I will be on hand to go and look after DGD when the time comes. Very exciting all these babies due in the New Year. I'm pleased results were good today for MacS.
Ann Prosecco at 3pm, sounds good to me.
Well must start cooking tea, will look in again later.

Greyduster Wed 06-Dec-17 17:39:43

Baggs that looks a cracking cake! And a personal recommendation from Mr Baggs! Any chance of the recipe?
Kitty 1st camel, eh? Wow! Bless him! I really miss all that, but GS’s year are taking part in a concert next week at the Cathedral and we have tickets apparently. The only downside is that we are set to have “significant snow” here on Sunday, so it will be touch and go whether anyone goes anywhere. Fingers crossed.
N&G you may have to send Grampy up here to Grinch with me, and I will send Mr “Wow isn’t Christmas Wonderful” down to you. He’s itching to get on with the seasonal desecrations! (No that is not an autocorrect mistake!). Don’t worry, I usually come round to it by Christmas Eve!
Ann we were out for coffee this afternoon, but there was no Prosecco on offer ☹️! Just a chocolate chunk muffin. ?Actually, I may be the only person left in the world who has not tried prosecco. That may be set to change this Christmas - my DiL is very fond of it.

cornergran Wed 06-Dec-17 19:04:14

Evening All. Goodness, a busy new kitchen.

Pleased this morning went well soop, you both certainly deserve fish and chips.

All this talk of Nativities has reminded me we won’t see one this year, two are too old and one is too young. Oh well, only a couple of years and it will start up again. Loved the First Camel story kitty. The Virgin Mary had me laughing, n&g. How many times have you embarrassed her with that video?

No Grinches here, we are all decorated apart from the outside lights. Loving the tree lights and our old but cherished little light up cottages, they take t-lights and give off extra heat as well as a lovely glow tchsmile.

Oh greyd, seasonal desecrations - that’s a desecration tchgrin. It will soon be over, honestly.

We also had coffee out, sadly without Prosecco ann although we did succumb to a very posh mince pie. First this year and very nice too. Hmm. There’s a bottle of Prosecco in the fridge, wonder if it will be there tomorrow?

Can I second the request for the recipe for that superb apple cake, baggs, I’d be very popular with Mr C if I could produce one that almost looked like yours.

It’s got really cold here in the last hour or two, it seems we may have snow by Friday. Hope not too much as we’re on childminding detail,

It sounds as if the IT gremlins had struck, maw, frustrating or what? Hope you’re getting some rest, I’m sure Hattie is keeping an eye on you.

Oh well, food time. See you all tomorrow, with luck and a following wind as my parents invariably said. I do suspect I am turning into them both. hmm.

annsixty Wed 06-Dec-17 19:36:17

In the midst of all this, I was just getting ready to dish up our meal when I had a phone call from H's nephew to say his wife had died at 3pm ,just as I was enjoying my drink.
H has a wide age ranging family and his nephew was only 4 years younger than him. They were raised together and were close.
How wife was a lovely woman, they had 3 daughters and sadly the youngest one died when she was 43 leaving 3 ( grown children).
She had a terminal lung disease but died from a fall, so sad for them all.Made me think we have been so lucky to be 81 and 80. I am thankful for what we have.

This discussion thread has reached a 1000 message limit, and so cannot accept new messages.
Start a new discussion