Gransnet forums

Chat

Paying for toilet training

(26 Posts)
vampirequeen Wed 06-Dec-17 11:05:54

I really shouldn't leave the TV on in a morning. Phillip and Holly interviewing a woman who charges £500 a day......yes a day!!!!.... to potty train a child.

There is another mother on who says it's lazy parenting. Her argument is that parents have a responsibility to their children to teach them the basics.

We're not talking about children with special needs or unusual toilet problems but parents who would rather pay someone else to deal with their child.

This came to the attention of the TV programme because a mother put an advert for someone to train her 3 year old daughter. She said the applicant needs at least 10 years experience of working with children as the child can be very wilful. She also explains that the parents will not be there when this training takes place but the housekeeper, who the little girl spends most of her time with, will be around. The housekeeper is not a nanny so isn't really doing childcare.

I know I was lucky with my girls because they pretty much trained themselves. It was the days before comfy dry nappies and they both hated being wet. Both were day dry by 18 months and night dry a couple of months later. I know that was early (hence I was lucky) but my girls are now mothers and they trained their children albeit a few months later than they were trained.

I don't know if I'm being judgemental and maybe I am but maybe we should start teaching younger people that a child is for life and not just for Christmas.

Elegran Wed 06-Dec-17 11:14:54

If the child were happier, the toilet training would come easier. Does she advertise for someone to give her a goodnight cuddle too? Poor little mite,

Anniebach Wed 06-Dec-17 11:23:57

Good grief, a full time nanny would cost that much

glammanana Wed 06-Dec-17 11:26:50

Vampire I saw a lady offering this service on TV a few weeks ago and couldn't believe my eyes she would only take bookings for a minimum of 3 days so nice work if you can get it !!
Mine where easy to train really my DD easier than the 2 boys but they where all dry within a week abet with the help of many pairs of spare pants etc.I then lifted them before I went to bed and night time became dry also with in a few weeks.
Do these mothers sit around their dinner party tables and brag which special service they have enlisted for their off springs and try and outdo each other,it just makes me wonder.

gillybob Wed 06-Dec-17 11:29:11

My 3 DGC were trained very easily despite the fact that mum and dad both work full time and they have neither a nanny nor a housekeeper. Blimey some people just don't live in the real world at all do they?

Maybe a "mini-me" is the latest fashion accessory in some parts, just as long as someone else does the dirty work.

MissAdventure Wed 06-Dec-17 11:34:32

It seems a bit of a personal thing to enlist anyone's help with. I would rather have paid someone to take my toddler shopping.

trisher Wed 06-Dec-17 11:54:48

Makes you wonder why people have children.

KatyK Wed 06-Dec-17 12:17:53

What next I wonder.

nanaK54 Wed 06-Dec-17 13:14:41

I see a career change coming on - takes me 'ages' to earn £500 grin

nannyof4 Wed 06-Dec-17 20:46:49

I do wonder why some parents have children to be honest,as they dont have the patience with them.

Nelliemoser Wed 06-Dec-17 23:14:50

I got DD dry by using the "Potty training in a day" book. she was over 2 and half, the weather was good, she was out in the garden a lot. I kept topping her up with drinks she had pants on and kept wetting.

By tea time she finally got the idea of feeling a full bladder and said wee wee just as the pee began running down her legs. It worked very well. That was more or less it from then.
Obviously she still had the odd mishap, the floor of the library got a big puddle, but she had understood the connection of discomfort to needing a pee pee.

I do wonder if old style terry nappies big and bulky and wet to the bum was a big incentive to get them trained quickly.
I have heard that boys usually take longer to potty train than girls.

Ski43 Thu 07-Dec-17 00:52:00

Vampire queen,I laughed when I saw the heading thinking that it must be about puppy training,until I opened it and read it. Surely you should not have children if your too busy,to spend time with them and help them learn the basics. My heart goes out to the little one,all day with the housekeeper, then a complete stranger potty training her.

BlueBelle Thu 07-Dec-17 07:05:01

I cone from the camp that had babies out of nappies by 12 months ( later at nighttime) we couldn’t wait to get them out of the napisan bucket soaking over night, washing by hand the next day, that awful napisan smell pervading routine
I don’t remember it being an over difficult thing to do and I do remember a short period of them running around when in the house with bare bums and a potty nearby
Yes a sad story for this little one I can’t believe how potty training is put off until they are two or three nowadays they wouldn’t if they used towelling nappies

Friday Thu 07-Dec-17 07:41:20

NanaK me too! A nice little earner.

Newquay Thu 07-Dec-17 10:21:04

Yes I do wonder why they have children I worked with a lady-career (and money) mad. Another colleague used to visit once a week and the children were often put to bed in their day clothes-they did take off their shoes. When the elder child started at a local (private) school she wanted the younger one at the same school too but they had to be dry. So. . . .she just sent her off with no nappy on. Gracious teacher said "she'd had a little accident-often happens early days at new school" I honestly don't know why she ever had children.

annodomini Thu 07-Dec-17 10:36:44

Perhaps they expect babies to arrive ready house-trained! grin

RAF Thu 07-Dec-17 11:04:30

There does seem to be an attitude that money will make life easier, one GD went off to a course of paid lessons on how to ride a bike!

sarahellenwhitney Thu 07-Dec-17 11:38:41

Vampire queen
I frequently wonder why some women want children.
Potty training is part and parcel of bringing up your child showing them how to dress them selves etc many small things that can only happen once before they are ready to start school and baby days gone for ever.I would not have wanted it any other way.

Coconut Thu 07-Dec-17 12:17:43

I too wonder why some people even want kids. Am not judging in a derogatory way, in fact I feel sorry for Mums who don’t want to be in nvolved in every little milestone along the way. Each to their own.

Hm999 Thu 07-Dec-17 13:03:23

I actually think it's good that there isn't this mad rush to potty train children. I remember my mother being horrified that I wasn't potty training mine as soon as they could walk. Leave it, wait until they can make themselves understood, and it will take a week or so, and cause much less stress all round.

grandtanteJE65 Thu 07-Dec-17 13:28:35

Poor little mite, she would be better off with a full time nanny who might even like the child!

Now I am being judgmental, but I do feel that if parents discover that bringing up small children is not really something they enjoy then they should consider employing someone who does, and who can become a fixture in the child or children's lives. It would be better both for the children concerned and for their parents.

Shizam Thu 07-Dec-17 20:03:40

I only got round to doing it when elderly aunt saw my two and half year old in nappies and told me off! Hadn’t really occurred to me. He then wasn’t dry at night until husband insisted on leaving it off when child was about three. No problems. I’d been reading Penelope leach who recommended waiting for dry overnight nappies before attempting. He who knew nothing was far smarter than the baby guru!

Legs55 Thu 07-Dec-17 20:33:30

I was sad to see this on "Good Morning" & then hearing that there was also a Housekeeper but no Nannytchconfused.

It reminded me of the days when children were kept in the Nursery, only brought down for an hour. Sent off to Boarding School when they were old enough. Why do some people have children or is it just another status symbol like the "flash car", some-thing else to brag abouttchsad.

Bridgeit Thu 07-Dec-17 21:09:54

I don't think that you are being judgmental Vampirequeen & I totally agree with your last sentence , I think it's very sad for some of these poor little mites who in many cases rarely get to spend any time with their parents .Perhaps when this generation grow up they will revert to being more hands on.

Harris27 Fri 08-Dec-17 00:03:11

Ive been in childcare for a long time and the way parents are bringing their children up today nothing would surprise me!!i work in pre school room and the lazy parents I deal with give us a bag of clothes to change with if they have an accident!!telling s they have potty trained them at home and they haven't wanting us to do it for free!!!