Gransnet forums

Chat

The psychology of socks!

(50 Posts)
lemongrove Wed 03-Jan-18 18:39:02

Was listening to local radio, a psychologist was talking about mens socks.....now bear with me on this grin turns out it’s not as boring as it sounds.You can tell a lot about a man from the socks he chooses to wear, style, colour etc So, does your man wear quite long socks, ribbed short ones, bright colour?Then, when you have told us, I tell you what the psychologist said.
You may have worked it out for yourselves though ( not that difficult!)

Luckygirl Wed 03-Jan-18 18:40:58

It would not tell you anything at all about him, as I buy his socks! Perhaps it will tell you something about me!!

MissAdventure Wed 03-Jan-18 18:43:13

I went out with a man whose socks used to hang off the end of his feet when he took his shoes off. I found it really annoying. How can you not keep your own socks on, once you're past 5 or 6?

whitewave Wed 03-Jan-18 18:43:19

Well, my hub wears cotton beige type ones in summer, darker ones autumn and cooler days, but this time of year he wears bright two coloured exmoor sheep woollen socks. All different colours like green/red or navy/green and grey/purple amongst other colours.

Greyduster Wed 03-Jan-18 18:46:39

I really prefer not to think about his socks - or his feet! hmm

tanith Wed 03-Jan-18 18:48:31

Mine wears short loose top socks he's not fussy about the colour but hates tight socks.

MissAdventure Wed 03-Jan-18 18:49:28

My ex (not the loose socked individual) wore dark coloured socks, but with bright toes, heels or stripes on. Shin length, and he always kept them well pulled up. Does that mean he's a waste of space? grin

Eglantine21 Wed 03-Jan-18 18:59:15

Oh dying to know. He buys 12 pairs of matching socks at a go. Black wool.

mollie Wed 03-Jan-18 19:03:40

I’m with Luckygirl and do the buying: stylish but colourful of course grin

Chewbacca Wed 03-Jan-18 19:10:15

My OH is currently sporting a rather dashing pair of surgical stockings. Full length, to the knee, in a rather grungy shade of grey/beige.

paddyann Wed 03-Jan-18 19:21:02

mine buys mainly black but usually with coloured heels or toes so I can match them up from the washing basket ,he does have a few lighter coloured ones for more casual wear with trainers

NannyTee Wed 03-Jan-18 19:23:36

I buy the socks and grundies around here grin

Cherrytree59 Wed 03-Jan-18 19:35:12

I buy him Black,
thermal for winter
Cool for summer

He buys motorcycle socks ( last ones from Aldi)
I borrow both .

He has bought Rugby type socks (colourful) to wear inside winer boots.
But these have been on the go for several yearssmile

MissAdventure Wed 03-Jan-18 19:38:14

So, if there is some psychological reason for a persons choice of socks, I wonder if introverts choose socks as a way of expressing their daring side?

kittylester Wed 03-Jan-18 19:39:10

Plain black wool (but not ordinary wool - special wool!) from M&S. It's not my fault - it try my hardest!!

Chewbacca Wed 03-Jan-18 19:39:26

And what psychological statement is being made if odd socks are worn?

M0nica Wed 03-Jan-18 19:45:49

DH wears standard black socks with coloured toes and heels and has done for as long as they have been available.

However he had cellulitis in his leg a couple of years ago and the skin is still tender at times, in which case he wears long black socks to protect his skin.

lemongrove Wed 03-Jan-18 19:58:08

Right, she said that men who wear longer socks, well pulled up so that no actual leg is on show tend to be vain, self centred and very private people ( as in they don’t share their feelings) if the sock is a bright colour like red, they are extrovert as well but prefer a party with almost strangers than those they know well.They are admired and often womanisers but rarely leave their wives.If the socks were bright green or purple or yellow, ( and long) the wearer either is genuinely on the eccentric side or likes others to think that he is.
Men who wear plain dark colours ( long socks still) are also very private people and rather uptight, not given to sponteneity or romance.
Now grin onto short socks!
Men who wear plain or ribbed brown, or shades of brown and short ones, tend to be very unimaginative, sensible, practical men, have no interest in fashion or style.
Men who wear similar socks but grey ones don’t have much Social life, or fun generally and are of pessimistic outlook.
Ditto for any man who buys and wears black short socks.
( she did say that it doesn’t count if the man is actually having to wear these colours for work) Only if they wear these for leisure.
Men who habitually wear socks with whacky characters or slogans on ( apart from a Christmas pair worn just for fun)
Tend to be childish, unsophisticated, unromantic and have zero interst in fashion or style.
Men who wear dark colours but with a bit of matching colour on the top, heel or toes are reliable, practical, sensible, and all round good husband material!

Don’t know how that matches up with DH’s everywhere.
Furry socks or Argyll tyoes were not mentioned.grin

lemongrove Wed 03-Jan-18 20:01:41

If wives buy the socks...that changes everything.Although, do you buy what you know he likes, or what you would prefer him to like?

Nanawind Wed 03-Jan-18 20:06:12

My hubby wears what ever he gets as presents usually from GC so could be any colour, he does have some black and some thermal. He's not bothered what socks he wears as long as there is a black pair for funerals.
By the way he is a social animal, life and sole of the party regardless of the colour of his socks.

nanaK54 Wed 03-Jan-18 20:06:59

My DH comes out rather well then - i will not tell him though, i don't want him developing a big head grin

mollie Wed 03-Jan-18 20:08:59

OH had cellulitis too and we have to be careful about tight sox but I don’t think he frets about length particularly. I buy him what I like and admit I notice a man’s ankles wink. Totally agree about men with characters on their sox!!

lemongrove Wed 03-Jan-18 20:42:11

Have just noticed pop up ads for socks at the top of my iPad page, are we being watched?

Chewbacca Wed 03-Jan-18 20:43:37

Spooky! ?

lemongrove Wed 03-Jan-18 21:34:35

DH snorted with derision when I told him about the sock psychology, but I think there is something in it.tchgrin