Happy as can be
All good pals and jolly good company.
Never mind the weather
Never mind the rain
As long as we're together...
Woops we go again.

WELCOME. Make yourselves at home. flowers

Charleygirl Tue 16-Jan-18 11:00:23

Thanks soop- a lovely cup of coffee is just what I need at present.

cornergran Tue 16-Jan-18 11:08:00

Quick dash in. Always good to find the new kitchen.

Think I may have three quarters of a head today, off for lunch with a GN pal probably as well or she may have regretted being there grin

Pleased you are better n&g.

No sorting today, been ironing, that’s enough with the lunch out.

Stay warm and safe soop and anyone else with nasty weather. Dry here at the moment, flipping cold and such a strong wind, we’re promised 50mph, nice.

Take care everyone.

Fennel Tue 16-Jan-18 11:37:23

Good to be back in the Kitchen again.
Soop, can identify with your comment: "the days way back in the 1940s. I remember all the faces and names of the children in the infant school. I remember conversations. That time, those experiences, have a special place in my memory box. And then I can read a chapter of a book, and forget the name of the characters in the time it takes to start a new chapter. "
I belong to Rootschat forum where there are still a few members of my age, from my home town, wanting to revive memories. It's a major part of our identities.

Fennel Tue 16-Jan-18 11:38:57

ps it's awful weather here too, cold wind, drizzle etc.

Bellanonna Tue 16-Jan-18 11:54:21

Hello soo and your new kitchen!

Yes it’s interesting how we remember facts from long-ago times. I still remember peoples’ birthday dates from primary school and often think, oh it’s so-and-so’s birthday today (wonder if she’s still alive?). Well, it was the 1940s.....
Fennel I often have to re-read a chapter because despite having just read it, I’ve been thinking of something else and haven’t taken a word in. That often happens btw.!

Bellanonna Tue 16-Jan-18 11:55:05

Sorry! soop

NanaandGrampy Tue 16-Jan-18 13:25:46

oooop missed the end of the old kitchen so need to go back and see what I missed :-)

Hello new kitcheners !!

JaneD3 Tue 16-Jan-18 13:26:02

Love the decor Soop! Can I tell you how cold it is on Peterborough station? A warming hot coffee with a tot of something would be very welcome!

soop Tue 16-Jan-18 13:46:26

You lot warm the cockles of my heart...as my late Nana would say. I feel truly grateful that we have our virtual meeting place. Has anyone baked cake? Or flapjacks? hmm

Bella No need for an apology. I'll answer to soo or any other name - providing it isn't rude. You know what? Us lot have not been anything other than kind to each other since the opening of the very first kitchen. How long ago was that? Elegran may know the answer. smile

JaneD3 I know Peterborough station. Have passed through it on a few occasions. A wee dram would put a wee blush on my cheeks right this minute. However...I have stuff to do. There is a book shelf in dire need of a good seeing to.

Fennel How is it possible for me to smell the burnt on milk, on the gas ring, in the primary school teacher's kitchen?

soop Tue 16-Jan-18 13:47:13

Back soon...smile

kittylester Tue 16-Jan-18 15:14:41

Lovely new kitchen soop.

Not baked but found........a box with frozen scones inside. Some fruit, some cheese - I wonder what they were intended for? confusedblush Anyway, I'll put them in the oven for while and then, please help yourselves.

Back later!

soop Tue 16-Jan-18 16:31:37

Thank you, kitty, you are a star. wink

I've finished the clearing and sorting of one of the least easy-to-clean bookshelves. The dust made me sneeze! blush

The hail is belting down and I'm wearing two sweaters and a thick, woolly scarf. Nevertheless, I'm happy with it.

JaneD3 Our thoughts are with you. This is a very stressful time. Please take good care of yourself.

Has anyone ever dyed a leather chair? I've an ancient Stressless recliner in a putty colour. I wish to dye it deep red. Any tips would be most welcome.

soop Tue 16-Jan-18 16:46:24

N&G I meant to say that I like the notice. Did you make it? May we please have one in the new kitchen?

We are still missing Rory and Bracken. There is a very tender, empty space in our hearts.

The doc's surgery phoned this afternoon. I am required to visit the surgery tomorrow afternoon with reference to a letter they have received regarding my long standing colo-rectal problem. I'm very surprised. I had made it known that, since no-one replied to my letters to the hospital that did the drop-bot surgery way back in the mists of time, I was throwing in the towel. Why on earth would anyone contact me after so long? I shall tell you when I return in the afternoon.

Ironing duty in the morning. Until I return home and endeavour to catch up with you lot, I'm sending an enormous group (((hug))) and the usual smile and moon

NanaandGrampy Tue 16-Jan-18 17:07:34

Evening all,

I spoke too soon and have now caught Grampy's cough!! I am cross with him and there will be retribution as I did not ask for his germs !! I am most cross [wink}

I can imagine how you miss Rory and Bracken , we were talking about Sam yesterday , he is nearly 5 already and we would be lost without him.

Interesting to see what they finally have to say at the docs soop !! I shall have to think about a suitable sign but in the mean time I made Grampy a new lounging about t shirt...see picture :-), most apt I thought !!

Kitty fruit scones for me please. Grampy got another strike against him from bringing home delicious looking scones that had....brace yourself..... chocolate chips in !!!!! Sacrilegious!!!!!

If you'd only said jane Id have popped over for coffee on the platform as you passed through !

Before I go I thought Id leave you with a picture of the orangery- remind me never to come back in my next life as a builder. It was freezing out there today and they soldiered on regardless. Marvellous !!

See you all tomorrow x

Fennel Tue 16-Jan-18 17:27:38

soop I remember your saga about 'drop-bot' - I've got a touch of it myself.
School milk in the '40s - we were given a third of a pint each at mid-morning. In the winter the little bottles could be frozen solid, so were put on the radiators to thaw out (at least we had some kind of heating!)

JaneD3 Tue 16-Jan-18 19:05:00

Lemon drizzle anyone? You will have to fight my grandson for it!

varian Tue 16-Jan-18 19:13:29

How many new virtual kitchens have you had Soop? When did you start? I can't actually remember how long I've been on GN, but I think you had a lovely kitchen when I first arrived.

I don't drop in very often but I do appreciate that you're there should I ever need a comforting cuppa and a friendly chat. (I shouldn't really spend so much time in News and Politics which is not always quite so friendly)

Does your OH, MacSporran, design a new one for you every time round? They all seem to be very welcoming.

callgirl1 Tue 16-Jan-18 20:42:57

Love the new kitchen Soop, and the décor, what colour is that on the walls, it`s very pretty.
JaneD3, I know exactly what you mean regarding Peterborough station, it`s a little bit open and draughty in cold weather.
We`re not having inclement weather today, it`s been very bright and sunny, but that wind, it`s perishing cold!
My radiators aren`t doing what they should, they only come on for an hour or so twice a day, and me being thicker than thick, I don`t know what to do, so will have to wait till my DIL comes to call, she sorted me out last time! Good job we still have a fire.

grannyqueenie Tue 16-Jan-18 22:15:07

It feels warm and toasty in the swanky new kitchen and lemon drizzle cake too, what could be nicer? Sorry I haven’t any cake to share but I have made a rather nice pot of broccoli and blue cheese soup. Put it in the fridge and it’ll keep for tomorrow. It’s definitely been soup weather here today and I hear we’ve snow promised for tomorrow....brr!

A day of odds and ends here today but satisfying enough in its way, despite the noticeable lack of communication from the railway lost property people. They seem to have the knack of actively preventing any conversation with an actual person taking place! So I’m not holding my breath for seeing that lost rucksack again. I hope your communication with your GP proves more productive soop, wouldn’t it be marvellous if there were ways of magically mending tricky problems in tender areas with no ouchy procedures involved? Well, a girl can but dream!
I’ve never been to Peterborough station, but do remember visiting friends in that area a few years back. It was a bitter cold winter weekend and we went to see a scarecrow festival or something similar in a village a short drive away. I can honestly say that I have been never so cold anywhere else in the world! On that note I hope you get your heating back in working order asap callgirl,
Well whatever else n&g you certainly can’t fault grampy on his generosity smile. Looks like your orangery is coming on apace and you’ve struck gold with those diligent workmen.
Well it’s time to sign out for tonight, apologies for anyone I’ve unintentionally missed out in the transition from the old kitchen. Sweet dreams all x

Crafting Tue 16-Jan-18 22:48:08

Lovely new kitchen soop. Very nice. I haven't brought cake - I'm on a diet. It's not going well and I am grumpy ?. I swear I've hardly eaten a thing but my tummy seems to be getting bigger and some gremlin has fiddled with the bathroom scales so that they go up every day! I'll just have to stop eating....... did you mention lemon drizzle JaneD? Just a small piece shouldn't count grin

MawBroon Tue 16-Jan-18 22:50:07

I hope everybody is now on the mend from their respective lurgies.
The transition to the new kitchen seems to have happened so seamlessly I didn’t even notice!
I have had another nice day thanks to kind friends who took me to lunch at the Higgins (formerly Cecil Higgins Museum) Bedford and to an exhibition of water colours and drawings of trees called A Walk in the Woods. A lovely day out rounded off with another DVD of The Crown.
I think this is the first 2 whole days I have not cried (apart from Hattie and my walk up to the church to “see Daddy” in the afternoon. ) I always shed some tears and Hattie whimpers (!) - yes, really! But otherwise I have felt much calmer and less assailed by those sudden waves of emotion.
A good start I think. Even having a relatively early night.

Tegan2 Tue 16-Jan-18 23:06:11

soop: on a decorating programme, someone dyed a leather chair using Annie Sloane paint. I'm not advising it, though, as it seems very odd (I'm even questioning my memory....)

NanaandGrampy Wed 17-Jan-18 10:09:19

Good morning all !!

Ah Jane!! Lemon drizzle....one of my favourites !( I say one because quite frankly Ive never met a cake I don't like wink)!

My diet died a death Crafting and I KNOW I need to get back on it but not today wink

Sounds like a lovely day Maw , I'm wishing you more of those .

I am off to make a surprise carrot cake for Grampy's birthday tomorrow , it wont remain a surprise for long as we now live in a shoe box and he will wander in at some stage and stay to lick the bowl !! Some things never change !!

Thought Id add a picture of him in his new t shirt !! I think he likes it .

NanaandGrampy Wed 17-Jan-18 10:10:12

it would help if I added it ....doh!

This discussion thread has reached a 1000 message limit, and so cannot accept new messages.
Start a new discussion