Gransnet forums

Chat

Pancakes

(29 Posts)
MIssFriday Wed 14-Feb-18 08:21:42

My pancakes were a bit of a disaster.
I used a recipe from the bero cookery book as normal. I used oil as normal. I started off with a medium frying pan then swopped to a small frying pan, that did improve them. I also swopped to the smaller gas ring but had on a high setting. They didnt seem to cook well in the centre.
How did you cook your pancakes?
I want to try again.

Grannyboots1 Wed 14-Feb-18 08:27:21

Try putting less mixture in the pan and tilt the pan till it covers all over.

jenpax Wed 14-Feb-18 08:29:13

I use a lovely crepe pan I bought in France it’s perfect and cooks them just right? youcan purchase them too from Lakeland. I use almond milk instead of cows milk and lime instead of lemon but I like my pancakes with just lime and sugar none of the chocolate, cream etc that others favour although for DGS I put on Nutella or maple syrup?

Humbertbear Wed 14-Feb-18 08:37:55

You shouldn’t use oil. Warm the pan and then wipe it with a piece of margarine on a fork before each pancake. I use a basic recipe - 100g flour, pinch of salt, 1 egg and half a pint of milk. Works every time. This mixture makes 6-8 pancakes.

Maggiemaybe Wed 14-Feb-18 08:42:00

I never have a problem using just a small thin pan and high heat. I did read something about cooking them on a griddle and tried that at first yesterday, so we had a few misshapen, dry pancakes to eat up after the proper, pan-fried ones. They were fine soaked liberally in lemon juice and sugar.smile

ginny Wed 14-Feb-18 08:43:02

Add a little melted butter to the mix. Make sure you have the pan very hot. Wipe the pan between each pancake with melted butter with a piece of screwed up kitchen roll. Works for me.

jusnoneed Wed 14-Feb-18 08:44:02

Maybe a bit too thick or heat too high?
I always use Delias recipe, few drops of oil in pan (every couple of pancakes added) and cook on medium heat. I made a load last night, son and OH demolished a good number and there were half a dozen left for tonight.

mollie Wed 14-Feb-18 09:28:39

The trick does seem to be in having a hot, lightly oiled pan and a thin layer of mixture. Any other combo and they stick or don’t cook properly. I don’t think the sort of pan matters as much as the heat and the minimum of fat of your choosing. Lemon and sugar on mine please!

Greenfinch Wed 14-Feb-18 09:48:50

We used our new non stick pan from John Lewis and found they didn't cook properly in the middle so we switched to our very old pan and they did perfectly. Also I use three parts water to one part milk.

Teetime Wed 14-Feb-18 09:54:20

I never measure the ingredients as I have now been making pancakes for ** years. We usually only have lemon and sugar but yesterday I gave DH a blob of vanilla ice cream in his as I know he likes it.

hildajenniJ Wed 14-Feb-18 10:02:47

When I make pancakes I just measure the flour with a tablespoon, it's not precise. I make the mixture to the consistency of double cream. Heat the pan and just rub it round with lard, or spray on oil. Pour in sufficient mixture ticket the bottom of the pan, I usually rotate the pan until all the bottom is covered. Then cook and flip. Yesterday I made American pancakes with bacon and maple syrup.

Nanabilly Wed 14-Feb-18 10:04:24

I use oil , just a tiny bit and I use the hero recipe and a cheap old pan so I think you probably put too much mix in the pan at a time . I use a ladle and pour about two thirds of it in for each pancake , you don't want them thick and heavy . Make sure pan is smoking not before pouring in mix.

henetha Wed 14-Feb-18 10:36:15

I got the day wrong and made them last week. They were a bit thick but ok. The only thing I had to put in them was lemon curd which tasted fine.

grannyactivist Wed 14-Feb-18 10:40:14

Shrove Tuesday pancakes have always been a bit of a family tradition in our house, most especially for my eldest son. who even came home from university to get his pancakes each year. I actually sent him a book of pancake recipes with my own recipe written on the inside cover, but he still came home. He's now been married for five years, but yesterday he and his wife came over and it was like a flashback. I use a Margeurite Patten recipe, a hot pan, very little lard or oil and spread the mixture very thinly and always get perfect pancakes. I'm a lemon and sugar fan, but I also provide maple syrup, bananas, ice cream, chopped nuts - and if we have Europeans staying I put out nutella.

Cherrytree59 Wed 14-Feb-18 10:46:52

I'm a rubbish pancake makersad
Luckily DH has got the knack

Traditional pancake with sugar (mine had granular sweetener) and lemon?

I also (when not watching weight) like pancakes with cherries in kirsch and cream smile

NonnaW Wed 14-Feb-18 11:37:01

DH is the pancake maker in our house, though yesterday he didn’t make any. That’s partly due to the diet he is on, but mainly because DSD provided a pack of ready made while we were on DGS duties blush (actually they were very good!)

Bathsheba Wed 14-Feb-18 11:59:06

I make pancakes any old time of year, not just Shrove Tuesday - in fact I completely forgot to make any yesterday! Might do some today instead. I never measure ingredients out as, like Teetime, I've been making them many years! Equally I never measure ingredients out for Yorkshire puddings and they always turn out beautifully.
The trick with pancakes is a very hot pan, lightly greased, and a small amount of mixture, then tilt the pan so it runs and covers the pan.

Synonymous Thu 15-Feb-18 12:29:35

Visting DD made pancakes for me without flour and froze a bag full so that I can have one now and then. They are very good so one happy Granny/Mummy smile

indispensableme Thu 15-Feb-18 20:49:22

A chef friend of ours has a very old aluminium pan, he covers the base with a thick layer of salt, heats it on a high heat, disposes of the salt, carefully, et voila, nothing ever sticks. Don't know the physics of it.
Last night I made seafood pancakes, prawns, scallops, mussels and smoked haddock, bliss!

rubysong Tue 25-Feb-20 09:12:08

I thought I would bring up this old thread as it is Shrove Tuesday. I have to take 25 pancakes to the village hall tonight for our soup and pancake evening. It is a bit of a faff making a batch for one or two people so we get together and have a lovely evening together. Pancakes are made at home and microwaved, then served with a variety of sweet fillings following home made soup and crusty bread.

Witzend Tue 25-Feb-20 10:30:02

I make them fairly often for Gdcs, who always want them with Nutella - little heathens - I like the good old lemon and caster sugar.

Mine are bog standard ones - 100g or 4 oz flour (I is plain or SR, whichever I have) one large egg, half a pint of milk - egg goes into the blender first, then flour, then milk. Whizz, scrape any flour down from sides, whizz again.

I used to use an ordinary frying pan but now have a pancake one, used solely for those, and def. better. I use very little oil, just a smear really, get the pan really hot before pouring the batter in, tilting to cover the bottom.
A couple of mins, lift to check underneath, flip (easier with a pancake pan) or turn with a lifter thingy, a minute or two more, bingo.

I just wipe the pancake pan out, I don’t wash it, and dh - who loves cramming absolutely everything into the dishwasher has been sternly warned never to put it in. Still have to watch him, though, since he ‘forgets’ - a likely story!

NotSpaghetti Tue 25-Feb-20 10:56:22

Hello.
Am I going mad? Isn't it Shrove Tuesday today?

NotSpaghetti Tue 25-Feb-20 10:56:53

Why have so many already had them?

Fennel Tue 25-Feb-20 11:42:25

Mushroom pancakes are nice. Cook the mushrooms in a little butter, s&p first.
I sometimes use wholemeal flour for pancakes.
(My mouth is watering!)

M0nica Wed 26-Feb-20 07:16:07

I find I usually have to write off the first pancake, but after that they work.

I put oil in the pan, heat it very high and then pour off the excess, but the secret then is not to put too much pancake mix in. Just a little bit that you gently swirl over the pan. By the time the batter reaches the edge the middle should be nearly cooked, run a pallet knife under the pancake to make sure it is not sticking to the pan then lift and turn.