Gransnet forums

Chat

OCD or plain bonkers!

(121 Posts)
Silverlining47 Mon 12-Mar-18 13:02:21

I don't consider myself excessively houseproud or even very tidy but the other day when a visiting friend offered to hang out my washing I was surprised at my own reaction to the line of washing! It was pinned up hickedly pickledy and all the clothes mixed up. My fingers positively itched to change it!
I then realised that I always hang the socks in pairs, DH's all together and then mine. Then his pants and then mine in order and so on. T-shirts, shirts, blouses etc the same way. They get taken down and folded in that order too. Whites only get washed together. I have a slight sense of revulsion when I see people put all their things in the wash together confused
Do other GNs have extreme habits that don't match the rest of their life?

Greyduster Mon 12-Mar-18 13:05:57

The only thing I am slightly obsessive about is how the dishwasher is stacked! Anything else, couldn’t care less.

hildajenniJ Mon 12-Mar-18 13:09:14

You'd better not come to my house then silver. I wash bedding and towels separately, but all my clothes, plus DH's all go in together! If I put them on the washing line, they go up the way they come out of the laundry basket. Otherwise I think I'm fairly tidy, and my house is mostly dust free.

SpanielNanny Mon 12-Mar-18 13:21:25

Apparently I am very particular about the order my groceries go on the checkout belt at the supermarket. I had no idea this was the case until recently when I went to sainsburys with my dil. I could feel my stress levels rising as she put her tins on the belt first. It was then that I realised that I have a very specific order that I always use!

merlotgran Mon 12-Mar-18 13:22:36

I simply cannot drink coffee out of a mug marked TEA or decorated with teatime pictures.

Same goes for drinking tea out of a mug marked COFFEE

glammanana Mon 12-Mar-18 13:30:14

All my whites go on a 60degree wash always and dark clothes go on 40 always has done.
That way I am convinced that none of my whites are ever an "off white grey" colour.
My blouses and tops are always put to-gether on the line with my smalls being on the inner sections hidden from prying eyes.

ninathenana Mon 12-Mar-18 13:34:29

I know what you mean about shopping on the conveyor SpanielNanny I group things to ease packing i.e. cold/frozen which goes in an insulated bag then heavy items and bread etc last so that it's on the top of the bag and not squashed.
Not OCD but logic in my opinion.
My only niggle with the washing is that items worn the waist are hung from the bottom and trousers/skirts are hung by the waist. Socks, undies are as they come.

Juggernaut Mon 12-Mar-18 13:41:20

I'm most definitely not at all houseproud, and not even a little bit tidy, but.........
Loo roll end has to come over the roll, not under.
Towels must be hung on rail with labels at back right.
Broadsheet Newspapers must always be folded exactly before being placed in Canterbury rack.
Tins are always placed on shelf with labels to the front.
Cups and mugs in cupboards always have handle to the right.
All my herbs and spices (and I have a lot) are kept in seagrass baskets in strict alphabetical order. Presumably that's what almost forty years as a librarian does to one!
Actually, when you have as many as I do, this is very practical, much faster and easier than rootling through over a hundred jars!
Laundry must be hung on line in certain ways, I have a rotary drier, so undies, socks etc on the inside, then t-shirts, jumpers etc, shirts are always dried on hangers and have one side of the drier to themselves, skirts and trousers on outside ring! Towels/tea towels and bed linen are never dried at the same time as clothes, they get the line to themselves!
I now use stainless steel pegs, as it was exhausting matching pegs to garment colours (how sad is that?).
Any paper (plastic!) money in my purse has to have the Queen's head facing me, and are in order, fifties at the back, coming forward to fivers at the front!
OCD? Me? Never!!!

tanith Mon 12-Mar-18 13:44:33

I am a bit OCD with my laundry, whites at 60*, towels 60*, DHs and mine all done separately on 40*. Pants and socks on those little multihangers trousers hung from the waist, knitwear and t-shirts hung over the line and pegged under the arms. OH can never hang it right but he doesn't mind my criticism ?

M0nica Mon 12-Mar-18 13:51:02

I am a tidy well-organised person (most of the time) so most things I do are done to make the job as quick and easy to do as possible. So shopping gets put on the conveyor, very roughly by weight and hardness, tins heavy packets, bags of potatoes on the bottom, fruit and veg and delicate items at the top rather that on any old way

Same with hanging washing on the line. I have a whirligig dryer where the inside length of line between the arms is much lower and shorter the closer you get to the pole, so smaller things, go in the centre in any order and things like duvet covers and bath sheets, go on the longest highest sections.

Dish washer gets re-arranged each time more stuff is put in, to ensure that it is as full as possible every time it is used.

My herbs and spices are stacked separately and in alphabetical order, to speed access.

Willow500 Mon 12-Mar-18 13:52:00

I rarely hang socks, pants or knickers on the line unless the weather is exceptionally hot or they are not tumble drierable . Shirts I hang by the collars (shock horror) and jumpers by the bottom welt. Trousers and jeans by the waistbands - I'm sure I've been doing it all wrong the last 47 years but life's too short and nothing seems to have been damaged. I don't do them in any order either - just as they come out of the basket although I do hang sheets and duvet covers on the same line for some reason.

I do put items from the shopping trolley in groups to make packing easier which my husband does. When the scouts or children from charities are doing the packing it's extremely frustrating as they put them in any old way and take ages - we tend to give them a donation and pack it ourselves!

Silverlining47 Mon 12-Mar-18 13:54:07

Oh.........now you come to mention it SpanielNanny, I do like my groceries to line up on the checkout belt and get packed in a logical order! I hadn't thought of that!

paddyann Mon 12-Mar-18 14:08:57

I tumble dry everything so no issues with hanging .I do like my beds made a particular way though and if a guest makes it up differently I fix it as quickly as I can when changing their towels .My late Dad used to pack bags to use every inch of space,he managed a grocery store for a few years after the war and taught all his assistants the "right" way to pack .Think he bypassed me ,though my daughter does it just like he did .

Grannybags Mon 12-Mar-18 14:13:24

My list is almost identical to Juggernaut My pegs came in a pack with pink, blue and yellow so obviously it has to be pink for my clothes, blue for DH and yellow is ok for both (very sexist I know!)

I didn't realise that I put all mug handles to the right, but I do!

I also have to pack the shopping in a particular way - had to "train" DH when he retired as I couldn't cope with his packing methods!

Teetime Mon 12-Mar-18 14:14:33

I'm not at all OCD. Its just that everything has to be done the right way or woe betide!!

Luckygirl Mon 12-Mar-18 14:28:52

Lord above!! I chuck everything into the washing machine on a short cycle - 30 minutes - and sling them on the drying rack any old how. How have we survived this long!?

Charleygirl Mon 12-Mar-18 14:39:26

OMG Luckygirl I should be with you to rearrange the clothes. I also match the peg colours so I would not hang something using a blue and a red peg. Shirts, dressing gowns etc are hung from the bottom, using 4 pegs. By this method of hanging there is less ironing.

farview Mon 12-Mar-18 15:08:56

Am not at all OCD as long as it's done MY way!! My worst I think is that I wash every towel after just one use,can't stand using a towel that someone has used..except H's handtowel..he goes mad!grin

lemongrove Mon 12-Mar-18 15:33:42

silver we had a thread about being pernickety with hanging out washing a while ago, and it was surprising how many of us confessed that it had to be done in a certain way..or else! grin I suppose it is a mild OCD ness ( but who cares, we know it is the right way.)

lemongrove Mon 12-Mar-18 15:36:41

Lucky ? I shall pop round to rearrange those washed clothes, and while I am there I shall sort your laundry into correct colours, rearrange your ornaments and probably plait your hair.grin

Luckygirl Mon 12-Mar-18 16:07:19

Feel free! smile

nanaK54 Mon 12-Mar-18 16:18:58

lemongrove grin
Fairly relaxed about most of the things listed......apart from the dishwasher, why is that dh can't get it right, I always unload whatever he has put in there and start again!

Charleygirl Mon 12-Mar-18 16:21:32

Lucky are you not the fortunate one and in theory will never have to hang anything again as two of us are vying for the job!

Grandma70s Mon 12-Mar-18 16:26:30

I’ve just looked, and I do the mug handles to the right thing, too. I think it’s because it’s the natural position for a right-handed person to pick them up.

Of course I hang socks in pairs. Doesn’t everybody?

I am very untidy generally, not at all organised.

GranEd Mon 12-Mar-18 16:29:16

How do you all find the time to be so fussy? As long as the job is done I couldn’t care less how! wink