Gransnet forums

Chat

Cosmetic procedures

(87 Posts)
Dontaskme Wed 14-Mar-18 18:18:20

Just read on a different thread someone who has had dermal fillers and (I think) feels better for it. Has anyone else had anything done? I've had fillers and my DD says its knocked 10 years off and I've had botox in a horizontal frown line between my eyes. I will have both topped up as I am more than happy. DH has noticed nothing including the fact he paid for it!

harrigran Wed 14-Mar-18 18:25:16

Wouldn't touch it with a barge pole let alone a syringe filled with botox.
DH and I play spot the celebrity, with the frozen features, when watching TV. I assume they think it looks attractive, it really does not.

Oopsadaisy12 Wed 14-Mar-18 18:48:20

Dontaskme, can you tell me more about the fillers?

Charleygirl Wed 14-Mar-18 18:56:56

harrigran I agree with every word that you have said. I also "spot the celebrity"- I do not know if some have looked in a mirror recently!

M0nica Wed 14-Mar-18 19:00:36

How on earth can cosmetic procedures make you younger, even Stephen Hawking couldn't do that. All you can do is age well or age badly. Aging badly includes having a face that makes you look as if you're pickled in aspic.

The DM is full of female make-overs, taking frumpy older women, tidying them up, putting make-up on and saying they looker 10 years younger. They do not. they look smarter tidier, better presented, but look at their faces and they are all clearly still look their real age, they have just gone from frump to ageing well.

Then there are those who spend £oos mutilating their faces adding bits, taking away bits so that they have a face like a waxwork in Madame Tussauds. An unmoving face that cannot show emotion. As harrigran effectively says. they are not a pretty sight.

Dontaskme Wed 14-Mar-18 19:13:02

Oopsa I had fillers in my clown lines which were making me look old and haggard - I had nose to mouth ones and then the ones under my mouth down a little bit. They just plumped me back out and, as my DD said, knocked 10 years off me. It hurt, not going to lie, and cost £400 but I had it done last January and still don't need a top up. Botox I have every 4 months and no, I don't look like one of those stiff over-done "celebs", it looks so natural that no-one notices but I have had comments such as "you look well" & "wish I had skin like you" and "you really don't look it" (when I tell my age). To me its the same as having your hair done, teeth polished etc. Make the best of what you've got. I certainly do not look like wax work and can thoroughly recommend having the bits done that I have.

Jalima1108 Wed 14-Mar-18 19:35:48

www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/158647.php

If you're happy using it then it's up to you.
Personally, I wouldn't touch it with a barge pole unless it was for strictly medical reasons.

"you look well" & "wish I had skin like you" and "you really don't look it" (when I tell my age).
Yes, I get told that too. Whether it's true or not it makes me feel better grin

Dontaskme Thu 15-Mar-18 06:32:29

Cor you really are a boring judgemental narrow minded bunch on here, little wonder you rarely get new posters tbh. I asked what anyone else had had done and all I got was rude rubbish about celebs and frumpy old women, of which I am neither.

Esspee Thu 15-Mar-18 07:24:27

Tried fillers once when my DIL persuaded me at a very low point in my life. After some time it gradually dissolved leaving a worm like visible trail under the skin which took about six months more to disappear. Never again!
Some people do this regularly, at huge expense. I have much better things to spend my money on now thank goodness.

morethan2 Thu 15-Mar-18 07:26:16

Hello Dontaskme don’t take it personally it just other peoples opinions. I think this is a useful thread. I haven’t had anything done. The only thing I’d ever consider is the lines that run downwards from the sides of my mouth. That’s not because I think it makes me look old, that doesn’t bother me too much. It’s because they make me look miserable/sad. How much would it cost and how often would it have to be done?

M0nica Thu 15-Mar-18 08:05:00

I din't suggest you were a frumpy old woman *Dontaskme. I said that when I see makeovers of frumpy old women to slim, beautifully dressed and made up women, some having had cosmetic procedures and the article says they look 10 - 20 years younger, When I look at the pictures, it is still easy to see what age the woman is. She has merely gone from ageing badly to ageing well, but like it or not, ageing she is

There is so much more than just facial features that say what our age is. I am blessed with good genes. I am still slim, fit, my hair has very little grey in it, less than 25% my hairdresser says, which I colour and my style of dress is indistinguishable from that of DDiL or DGD, we shop together and swap clothes, nevertheless when I jumped on a train last week and moved fast down the carriage looking for a seat, when I didn't find one, someone stood up and offered me a seat. However I was dressed or looked or moved, something about me says I am over 70.

I never pretend to be any other age, nor would I try to. I just do not see the point of all these procedures. A face, artificially enhanced, to replicate the face of a younger person, looks odd on someone whose whole body and demeanour, make it clear that they are actually older.

OldMeg Thu 15-Mar-18 08:23:39

Live and let live.

If this is something that makes you feel better then go for it Dontaskme . There’s the psychological aspect to this, and feeling good is a great antidote against the ‘depression’ that old age can bring. Monica achieves this ‘feel good’ factor in her way and you in another.

Whatever works for you.

OldMeg Thu 15-Mar-18 08:24:45

PS Monica could you be in danger of virtue signalling?

Teetime Thu 15-Mar-18 08:49:45

dontaskme I'm glad you raised it. I have been toying for ages with having botox into the frown lines on my brow '11s' and recently had an appointment which I cancelled. I think you have given me the courage to at least have the consultation.

Dontaskme Thu 15-Mar-18 08:54:06

Yes OldMeg, thank you. MOnica - you colour your hair, dress the same as your GD, jump about on trains yet people know you are elderly. Have some botox and fillers to go with the hair and clothes then no-one will know!
I did actually ask if anyone else had had anything done - still no-one is joining in although most of the clients who go to my cosmetic Doctor are over 50 so I'd be surprised if, apart from Esspee, not one of you have tried things. I just wondered what others had been up to is all. Next time I'll ask how the varicose veins are or if anyone has a recipe for lardy cake. Most of the other threads are soooo interesting, exciting and different after all. Just saying.

janeainsworth Thu 15-Mar-18 09:01:47

dontaskme I agree with oldMeg, it’s a very personal thing and the psychological benefit of feeling you look the best version of yourself shouldn’t be underestimated.
I’ve not had anything done to my face as I’m happy with it as it is, but I have my hair coloured and I’ve had my teeth whitened. No essential difference in my view.

What I don’t like is the way that young women in their 20’s and 30’s are persuaded that they should have Botox/fillers as a preventive measure to stop wrinkles developing. That does cross a line for me. It’s one thing using moisturiser to prevent UV damage to your skin, but cosmetic procedures in a preventive way does seem to be exploiting women’s insecurities about their appearance.

Grandma70s Thu 15-Mar-18 09:29:41

I would probably look younger if I had my nose-to-mouth lines done. I have the frown lines, too, but I have never bothered about those. I wouldn’t have anything done.

What I DON’T understand is why people want to look younger. Are they ashamed of being old? If so, why?

nightowl Thu 15-Mar-18 09:59:32

I just think it’s a shame that we can’t accept the way our faces and bodies change as we grow older. Like Grandma70s I wonder why it’s so important to look younger. What’s wrong with looking good as we are (and I don’t mean ‘good for our age’ which makes me want to scream). The idea of surgery, or medical procedures in pursuit of lost youth makes me uncomfortable and quite sad.

greeneyes Thu 15-Mar-18 10:00:38

Beauty secrets are just that keep them to yourself, there will always be some who will take the joy out of how you are feeling, when you feel so good and you want to share.

Sazz1006 Thu 15-Mar-18 10:01:44

I had my marionette lines (mouth to chin droopy bits)filled almost three years ago and the results were marvellous, but no one would have said that I’d had ‘work’ done. It’s only now that they are coming back. Mine are worse on one side as I lost a couple of teeth next to each in my lower jaw in my late teens before fancy implants etc so it’s worse that side as I don’t have teeth there to support the skin. I’m lucky that my facial skin is very good with virtually no wrinkles but my neck gives my age away! Fillers in the right hands were brilliant for me

Sazz1006 Thu 15-Mar-18 10:04:49

Perhaps I should add my second husband is 6 years younger than me and is very young looking - I saw my cousin who I hadn’t seen for 10 years and he asked if HB was my elder sonshock!!

Cobweb01 Thu 15-Mar-18 10:07:18

Each to their own and we all need to find what works for us and makes us happy with the way we look. When people tell me I don't look my age, it makes me feel good even if they are just being polite!
I do think when someone asks a question then it does not mean people can weigh in with nasty comments. If you don't agree then you can say why without being nasty - some comments, if said in person would even be bordering on bullying but I suspect those people would be the first to condemn bullying. Not sure these procedures are for me but stay happy Don'taskme and you are hurting no one so do what works for you.

Marion58 Thu 15-Mar-18 10:13:03

Dontaskme A friend of mine aged about 73, has been having fillers and botox for several years now and she doesn't look any different except has a very fresh face and looks natural. I looked into having botox many year's ago, even made the appointment, but decided to cancel. I am very sensitive to all sorts of things and although they "test" I am worried I may have a reaction.

The problems come if you try to turn back time. Some people we see on television get away with it, but then they are using the top cosmetic surgeons. However, I often wonder what these would look like in person, as on tv they use filters and heavy tv make up hides a multitude of sins.

I always say do whatever makes you feel better, as long as you're not hurting anyone else - what does it matter? smile

GabriellaG Thu 15-Mar-18 10:13:47

Dontaskme

Are you referring to Jan '18 or Jan '17 when you say you had the fillers?

Silverlining47 Thu 15-Mar-18 10:14:28

I have not had fillers or botox but I spent a fortune having my teeth capped and some implants when it was either dentures or missing teeth. What is the difference? I didn't want to look 'old' in the way we remember our parents or grandparents.
On previous posts we have recommended to each other the best moisturisers or make up and I don't remember many posts saying it was all a waste of time and money.