Gransnet forums

Chat

Annoying adverts

(106 Posts)
Tweedle24 Mon 16-Apr-18 12:13:59

Not high on the list of importance but, does anyone else have a particular advert that annoys them?
My current one is the optician who introduces herself as ‘the Boots optician’. Sorry! Of course she is the Boots optician. They are in the Boots optical department, not the local pub!

shysal Mon 16-Apr-18 12:45:36

I hate the 'So money supemarket' adverts with Skeletor and He Man and recently Action man. They have nothing to do with the company they are advertising.

I also dislike the Safestyle shouty ones, currently featuring the Pat Butcher actress. It makes the company seem very unprofessional and I would never buy double glazing from them.

Greyduster Mon 16-Apr-18 12:49:44

The Sofology adverts with Owen Wilson! What is that all about?

Charleygirl Mon 16-Apr-18 15:43:53

I hate the Purple Bricks advert, especially when that girl smashes her face into a cake with cream on top. I switch channels when it comes on.

Is it Specsavers they are trying to advertise? That stupid vet not being able to find a pulse in a fur hat he thinks is a cat or whatever and calls the vet nurse who picks it up and pops it on her head.

I try to miss them making coffee or going to the loo.

SpanielNanny Mon 16-Apr-18 15:50:17

The horrible Doritos crisps advert makes me feel sick. And the beer advert where they keep shouting ‘dilly dilly’. That one is very annoying too.

rockgran Mon 16-Apr-18 15:55:13

Hotel Trivago - aaaaarh!!!

wot Mon 16-Apr-18 16:18:00

I absolutely hate the one where a little brat is singing in the back of a car. I think its for the AA

wot Mon 16-Apr-18 16:19:00

I do like the one of the Action Men dancing though!

Jayh Mon 16-Apr-18 16:23:40

I also find the AA advert annoying. Worse than that, the little singing girl gives me the creeps. The computer generated graphics have gone sadly wrong there.

gummybears Mon 16-Apr-18 17:54:15

Without fail, every year, the schmaltzy trash that is the John Lewis festive advert reminds me to not buy a bloody thing there until spring.

The absolute murdering of whatever poor song they have victimised each year only adds to my annoyance. (I can never forgive what they did to Half The World Away).

Although that sickbucket nonsense with the magically aging woman and Billy Joel was easily the worst. Because the value of a womans life is measured by how faithful a John Lewis customer she was.

gummybears Mon 16-Apr-18 17:56:55

Oh god I just remembered what they did to Please Please Please Let Me Get What I Want.

That's it, I am back on the boycott angry

jusnoneed Mon 16-Apr-18 18:03:47

The stupid woman and bloke getting all excited about Sunlife over 50's Insurance. He should not grow so many parsnips lol.

Billybob4491 Mon 16-Apr-18 18:19:49

Someone's knocking at the door, so the lottery advert goes. The winners then start shrieking with excitement holding huge cheques, its awful, GO AWAY.

Bluegal Mon 16-Apr-18 21:07:33

I hate ALL adverts lol. I now only watch on BBC or recorded programs so fast forward the adverts!

Reminds me of a time I was asked to take part in a survey- they showed part of a film and I was taking in all the details of the program. Later I was phoned to ask what I remembered of the adverts? Er? What adverts? Was my response bahaha. I must have been powdering my nose or talking whatever but never noticed any adverts ??

TwiceAsNice Mon 16-Apr-18 22:36:15

The stupid meerkats

wot Mon 16-Apr-18 22:57:07

I like the meerkats!

mumofmadboys Tue 17-Apr-18 07:54:21

I like advert breaks to make a drink or go to the loo or do some little job!

HootyMcOwlface Tue 17-Apr-18 10:31:01

There are far too many for over 50s plans, they drive me nuts, one in particular has dreadful hammy actors - a bloke on the beach (I think) talking right in his daughter's face, and another for the same company with a posh woman in the kitchen. I like the music for the Legal &General one, with the granddad picking up the little boy from school.

I quite like the end bit of the AA one when the little girl goes oooo and flings her arm up, I think because she reminds me of my daughter when she was a tot!

There's a mad cheese one where they say "aim for the buttocks" that always makes me chuckle!

fourormore Tue 17-Apr-18 22:38:49

Jusnoneed my DH has a theory about the Sunlife over 50 plan ad that you mention! shock
DH reckons that June and 'Dad' are having an undercover secret affair and the parships are part of their disguise ! shock shock shock
When she calls around with his post and see's that he's checking his binoculars, there is a certain glint in his eye, and he doesn't even answer when she asks if he's off hiking. DH reckons he's a peeping tom! shock
DH reckons June goes around to see his parsnips, even though at the rate he's been growing them she must have seen them before! blush
She's usually in her slippers so perhaps intends to stay and make herself comfortable??? blush blush blush
Perhaps the postman is in on their little secret and deliberately delivers his mail to the wrong place! hmm or perhaps the postman is jealous envy as he never gets any parsnips?
The conspiracy of it all is mystifying! confused
Where does Dad's DD go after she has let June in? Does she have anything to do with getting them together? (or perhaps she doesn't like parsnips?)
Have said all that, DH and I would really miss June calling around every five minutes haha grin and hope that the next chapter in the saga will be revealed soon!!!

Incidentally I adore the meerkats smile I have a collection of the meerkat soft toys and my DGD (aged 6) has told me that she wants them when I die! smile

jusnoneed Wed 18-Apr-18 08:26:28

lol, I must admit similar thoughts had crossed my mind fourormore! The way he marches in with his box of parsnips, just a bit too cosy!

annsixty Wed 18-Apr-18 08:34:28

The over 60's adds when they say, it I'll help pay for my funeral and I can leave a little for the family makes me shout out loud, " They can sell the bl...y big house you live in you stupid poeple"
I really hate the hypocrisy.

Camelotclub Wed 18-Apr-18 10:01:30

Barry Scott bellowing about his Cillit Bang, and those Haribo ones with adults talking like kids.

And those Sun Life and Royal funeral plans are a racket - buy a Co-Op pre-paid one.

lovebeigecardigans1955 Wed 18-Apr-18 10:05:53

I hate the Boots ads. One for the optician where the daft woman says she needs glasses but doesn't think they'd suit her. What utter tosh! If you need glasses, you need glasses and that's that. Stop being so damn vain.
The other Boots one for hearing aids. For heaven's sake if you can't hear go and see the doctor. You'll get referred to the local hospital and get hearing aids for FREE. All right, you may have to wait months for an appointment but why pay thousands? I sometimes shout 'go to the doctor, Grandad!' if I can be bothered.

inishowen Wed 18-Apr-18 10:07:52

The sunlife over 50's insurance makes us laugh. My husband does a great impression of the woman. He adds his own words i.e. "I can't wait to die because you get a free pen just for inquiring". He has many versions on this theme. I love the Purple Bricks ad were the man splats his pottery all over the woman, then squishes her pot too.

maryhoffman37 Wed 18-Apr-18 10:10:36

Like most GNetters, I dislike almost all ads! Why are there so many for truly hideous sofas? But the winner for me is the cruise one where the "comedian" (Rob Brydon?) talks about the sun "coming up over the yardarm." It goes down, you moron!