Gransnet forums

Chat

What has helped change your life the most this past decade?

(79 Posts)
Panache Mon 23-Apr-18 09:06:56

Without a doubt it has to be my computer for me.
Being such an avid writer but with health issues affected my writing and also my mobility, I could see my busy little life getting more and more curtailed.So on looking ahead a few years, the future looked not only bleak but one of dire boredom and misery.
I was not having any of that!!!
On talking this over with my husband (and greatest friend) we decided the way forward would be to join and follow the ever advancing technology age!!!

So with our local College offering all manner of computing lessons, we chose a 6 week beginners course initially, and in a few weeks we were weekly trotting off to join ..........in the main.......folk much younger than us both in our 70`s.
It felt a little odd at first,almost as if going back to school......carrying our notes,pens and sitting at a desk!!
However once those 6 weeks were over our hunger was growing as the more we learnt,the more interested we became.
We have both benefitted enormously in joining the present day and now we cannot envisage life without our faithful P.C`s.

So yes it has totally transformed our lives this decade..........and yes very much for the better.

kittylester Mon 23-Apr-18 09:30:46

Technology has changed my life too but probably for longer than the past decade.

My eldest grandchild was 11 in March and that has changed my life totally. We now have 8 DGC ranging in age from almost 5 to 17 (we have gained 2 step grandchildren in the last decade too!) with another one due in October.

Our son's stroke happened just 6 months after our eldest DGC was born and that had a huge impact.

The most recent thing to impact my life (and probably his!) was DH retiring about 18 months ago. It is great that we have more freedom (if only we had the time to use it) but it also makes me realise that we are getting older and must make the most of our time.

MawBroon Mon 23-Apr-18 09:53:10

Some decades seem to have more “happening “ in them than others but perhaps we just forget the life-changing decade (not necessarily just a decade, but usually) when we had our children .
For me the last 10 years have seen Paw having to give up work because of his health, a series of illnesses/surgery/hospitalisations, my retirement, my discovery of GN (and my growing “addiction” to my iPad), the marriage of all 3 daughters, the birth of all 4 grandchildren, and lastly the loss of paw himself.
A mixture of sadness and joy, tears of both but life goes on.
I would prefer not to look too far into the future regarding the next decade though!

Anniebach Mon 23-Apr-18 10:03:22

Rather a grim decade for me Must have been some positive things but all clouded by my darling daughter's illness , ten years of many tears

MawBroon Mon 23-Apr-18 10:04:11

sadflowers anniebach

Panache Mon 23-Apr-18 10:05:58

I second that (flowers) and can but pray that Hope will shine through and replace some of those tears with blessings Anniebach.

KatyK Mon 23-Apr-18 10:09:31

Som good times and some bad obviously. During the last 10 years my DH has been diagnosed with cancer, but is doing well. I have lost all of my hair. Plus side - lovely teenage granddaughter doing well and I have a great family.

MadFerretLady Mon 23-Apr-18 10:21:29

Strange ten years... One son moved abroad (10 hours flight away), One son was widdowed and left to raise his son alone (with support from family), lost both my parents. On the plus side I trained for the priesthood and got ordained and am now enjoying that life as a non-stipendiary priest. And son remarried ... and our relationship with our grandson is a real joy. So, mixed ...

SunnySusie Mon 23-Apr-18 10:23:12

What has helped change my life most this decade? Retirement! The absolute joy and freedom of chosing what to do and when. No getting up at 6am to drive hundreds of miles on crowded roads to a time deadline. No packing onto commuter trains in the dark with hundreds of people all apparently suffering from heavy colds. No massive stress everytime I open my e-mail and look at the number of messages all asking me to do something complicated and difficult to a tight deadline. Sheer bliss.

Theoddbird Mon 23-Apr-18 10:28:57

I joined the computer age when home computers were first available. I have six grandchildren between 21 years and 2 years. Divorce also changed my life. All these things in a different way. Biggest change I have made to my life personally is probably, at the age of 66, buying a narrow boat last year to live on. Every day our lives change....most we do not notice but they do happen. Enjoy the changes that will happen in your life....embrace them and welcome them. Have a wondrous day today xxx

muddynails Mon 23-Apr-18 10:29:59

Has to be internet shopping, especially as we moved a few years back to an area where the shop stocks are pretty grim.

Barmeyoldbat Mon 23-Apr-18 10:32:20

It’s been a really hard 10 years or more with family troubles with my sons family with him taking the brunt of it. BUT by working and helping him he has come through it and is now in a good place (as they say). I wouldn’t have been able to provide all the support I did if I had been working, so I would say retirement every time, love it.

Yorkshiregirl Mon 23-Apr-18 10:35:55

Being diagnosed with aggressive breast cancer last July has totally changed me in lots of ways. I'm still undergoing some treatment. It has made me more aware that this is My Time, and to say No sometimes. Look after those who look after you, and walk away from Fair Weather friends..

GrandmaMoira Mon 23-Apr-18 10:36:56

In the last decade retirement has been the biggest positive change in my life. I was widowed nearly 10 years ago and my sons left home recently so now on my own for the first time ever and enjoy it. I've seen my 2 DGC grow from babies. I've used computers for years but do spend more and more time online, I don't know what I would do without the internet now.

AlieOxon Mon 23-Apr-18 10:37:50

I inherited a computer from my father in 1988! I thought at the time 'If he can do it at 81, then so can I' and have ever since.

But the big change in my life has been my daughter's death in 2015, followed by her partner's last year.
Also my diagnosis with late effects of radiotherapy in 1996 last year.

I think I am on the up now as I am getting some therapy help, which is difficult but promising.

mischief Mon 23-Apr-18 10:48:55

NOT being in a relationship has changed my life. I make my own decisions and am totally independent. I don't have a wodge of money but my independence is more valuable than anything. It is even more precious now I'm retired, I can do what I want, and if that means spending all day colouring or on my computer, I CAN. ?

Lilyflower Mon 23-Apr-18 10:54:03

Retiring from teaching and compters. Both life changing.

annsixty Mon 23-Apr-18 10:56:01

Mine is also not a happy story.
10 years ago I was 70 and we were enjoying retirement, we had a caravan in NWales which we both loved. We did lots of walking nearly everyday.
Then my H started with Alzheimer's, not bad at first and we could still enjoy some aspects of life but had to stop holidays as change of routine upset him too much.
Then last weekend he had a stroke, his mobility is returning, I brought him home after a week as his confusion worsened rapidly, he is agitated but we are coping somehow.
My 80' s don't look much fun, but better than the alternative.

nipsmum Mon 23-Apr-18 10:59:23

Retiring and moving house 13 years ago, has changed everything. I live alone, got my lovely placid Westie from a rescue centre 2 1/2 years ago, live 3 miles from DD, Sil and 3 GDs and 1 mile from the beach. I have a great joy in doing my knitting for charity, baking and cooking for family and friends, could not ask for anything more.

michellehargreaves Mon 23-Apr-18 11:00:25

Marriage and divorce (!) Of DD. Both events having financial implications ? Marriages of both DSs and the births of our 4 gorgeous GC. A lot of joy and sadness there already. The death of my father 18 months ago. He was so old that I really began to think he would be here forever. Sadly not! And the retirement of DH. We are trying to make the most of the opportunities we have - we see the children and grandchildren as often as we can,enjoy our friends and do as much travelling as we can manage. This is definitely NOT a dress rehearsal.

Scribbles Mon 23-Apr-18 11:01:20

In the past 10 years? Paying off the mortgage so I could afford to give up paid work and enjoy time with my OH without constant financial worries but the biggest change has been moving from Greater London to the East Midlands. That has been all positive and, for the first time in my adult life, I am truly content.

moobox Mon 23-Apr-18 11:06:41

Probably a hobby to retreat into away from stuff like housework, family stuff going on, boredom etc etc. In my case it is photography.

vickya Mon 23-Apr-18 11:16:56

Annsixty, I hope H continues to recover from the stroke. Having him home so soon is a good sign. I know if treated quickly they can ensure recovery is pretty good. You must have managed to get him to treatment fast. And coming home soon will be good as regards the dementia. Back in familiar surroundings is best, isn't it. Although things have changed in the last 10 years and life might seem to be shrinking you have still got H, even after the weekend scare, and that is good. Hopefully the dementia will be slow to progress and so mean you can manage things at home for as long as possible.

I do understand about life changing and seeming to shrink as we have health issues that mean we can only go out together for hospital visits now and for me to see grandchildren and family I go alone and think carefully about what I agree to do.

stella1949 Mon 23-Apr-18 11:23:13

My son got full custody of his two children , 4 years ago after years of terrible problems. I took the role of " co-parent", and have been busy every day with school delivery and pick-up, teacher involvement, home responsibilities. Going through the "first period" drama with my grand-daughter was a highlight , ha ha. After 4 years, they have gone from two anxious and damaged children, to being confident and determined to have good lives. I'm a happy co-parent !

TheMaggiejane1 Mon 23-Apr-18 11:33:01

I think it would have to be the birth of my DGD2 who has cerebral palsy and is a wheelchair user. She is such a happy, determined, kind and contented 8 year old and just accepts uncomplainingly everything that is thrown at her. When my daughter (DGD2’s mum) was seriously ill last year she commented in front of DGD2 that life could sometimes be very unfair. DGD2’s reply was ‘I like life, mummy, nothing bad’s ever happened to me!’.

Having her in our lives has made us stronger and more tolerant people. We’ve learned how to fight our corner and are also far more aware of how difficult some people’s lives are. I’m nowhere near as judgemental as I once was and always try to see both sides of an argument. I’m probably nicer because of her!