Gransnet forums

Chat

What 'occassions' do you dress/make up for?

(101 Posts)
boheminan Thu 10-May-18 20:59:06

I've just returned from a meal at my local Beefeater. I went straight there from doing some gardening, so was wearing jeans (not too muddy) and no make up at all.

I remember going to the same restaurant around 30 years ago, and what an occasion it was. I spent ages getting dressed up in a posh dress, plus had my hair 'done' and splotched on make upgrin.

I just wondered, what occasions would you consider dressing up for?

Alima Thu 10-May-18 21:24:48

The last time I got tarted up was probably DD2’s wedding seven years ago. (Normally go around clean and casually smart mind). Hate tights and hold-ups.

tanith Thu 10-May-18 21:25:53

Weddings and if it’s a family occasion meal otherwise I put on clean casual clothes.

paddyann Thu 10-May-18 21:27:19

I dress smartly most of the time,never leave the house without makeup ...even to put out the bins...lol.I'll wear leggings and a long top at home but usually a nice dress or skirt and top if I'm going over the door .
Its inbred,my mother was the same .

Deedaa Thu 10-May-18 21:29:21

I make an effort for a trip to the theatre with DD, lunch with friends or the annual lunch with our school old girls society.

Jane10 Thu 10-May-18 21:40:41

I usually slob about in rugby top and stretchy trousers. I got all dolled up and put on make up for my last book launch but that was almost a year ago. blush

Willow500 Thu 10-May-18 21:43:03

An evening meal out with friends or a visit to family - not posh but better than normal days. I always wear make up but would put some eyeliner on if I'm going somewhere special grin

gillybob Thu 10-May-18 21:51:34

I almost always dress for work . Black trousers and top . Or at the weekend jeans and top. Boring as hell. I never feel comfortable wearing a dress and always feel like everyone is laughing at me .

janeainsworth Thu 10-May-18 21:57:49

Whenever possible grin

LynneB59 Thu 10-May-18 22:05:07

I wear make-up (full face) every day except Staurday daytime (but I wear it in the evening). It makes me feel and look better, and I do that, and my hair (washed and blow-dried every day, coloured every month) for MY benefit.

I wear smart trousers and a nice blouse for work, but the rest of the time I wear small heels, trousers/jeans, or a dress.

I wouldn't even go to my corner shop without make-up, and would never, ever wear things such as wellies or trainers to go out in. I like to look feminine.

gillybob Thu 10-May-18 22:13:03

Oh I love my jeans and wellies . My DGD’s call it “the horsey look”

Scribbles Thu 10-May-18 23:17:30

Strictly weddings, funerals and the annual high school Old Girls' lunch. When I stopped work, I took great pleasure in giving all my formal business attire to a charity shop and took a vow never to wear pantyhose again (an invention of the devil!) My one and only ballgown went to the charity shop, too. Life's too short for dressing up.

Beau Thu 10-May-18 23:29:31

None now although I would for a wedding - but I don't know anyone who is likely to get married. I never wear make up at all now that I've retired as I don't really like it on older women - anyway DGS wouldn't notice and he's the person I spend all my days with ?
I spend a lot on face cream, hand cream etc. though - it's just the hair / make up / fripperies I have no time or liking for any more. I've always been single so no-one else gets to have an opinion ?

grannyactivist Fri 11-May-18 00:59:37

I spend most of my time in 'smart casual' clothes as I never know when I may get called into work. I did have a meeting with a Bishop a few days ago, which in other circumstances I probably would have smartened myself up for, but as I had been busy cleaning in preparation for his visit and had other meetings afterwards I decided that I'd stick to my usual style.
I dress up if I'm invited to speak somewhere because I think people expect me to look smart and professional and it gives me confidence if I do, and recently we attended a piano recital that I put make-up and a posh frock on for (it felt like a very grown up event), but generally, apart from weddings and funerals, we don't go anywhere that would warrant too much of an effort.

kittylester Fri 11-May-18 07:11:59

Apart from when gardening, I hope I look ok most of the time.

NanKate Fri 11-May-18 07:28:51

Make up every day unless I am ill.

My late mum always made an effort to look nicely turned out and it has rubbed off on me.

I bought a lovely top covered in bright splodges of colour half price from a posh shop and I feel a million dollars in it.

travelsafar Fri 11-May-18 07:49:27

I wearmake up every day as it makes me feel good and ready to face what ever is goingto happen.

I dress casually but tidily in jeans or joggers t-shirts usually and I have a basic pair of black trousers for 'best' with several 'nice tops' for going out in.

I can't remember the last time I worn a dress or skirt.

M0nica Fri 11-May-18 07:50:12

What do you define as dressing up? I always think of it in terms of big events, weddings, balls, public receptions, rather than everyday. As others have said, we came from homes where our mothers were always well turned out and in my home it was seen as for reasons of self respect rather than impressing other people.

I always wear some make up. Usually blusher and eyebrow pencil and perfume if I am not going anywhere, I want to feel I look my best if I happen to see myself in a mirror and more if I am going out, like this morning to a class.

I am a casual dresser, but again I was brought up to believe that no item of clothing is so trivial that how it looks on you shouldn't be a key factor when buying it, even wellies, so going out to my class, I am casually dressed in trousers, cotton top and sweater, all chosen because they look good together and the ensemble looks smart.

harrigran Fri 11-May-18 08:15:41

I made an effort last Friday and put on make up too, we were going to GD's school and I didn't want to be the frumpy granny.
I dress for birthday and anniversary outings.

mostlyharmless Fri 11-May-18 08:26:44

I never wear make up. Try not to wear socks (never tights) except in mid winter. Comfortable shoes or sandals.
Linen trousers or smart jeggings with a pretty shirt or tunic style jumper most of the year.
On a smarter occasion/party I just wear my newest versions of above clothes.
Haven’t been to a wedding for ages.

Panache Fri 11-May-18 08:52:36

Dressing up these days for special occasions simply do not exist.

Make up I have no time for though yes to thorough clesnsing and moisturising.
But perfumes and body creams are a must,I have this great thing about feeling fresh!Probably born of my Nursing profession.

Hair must be at its best or I am not in a good frame of mind because I will be forever "fussing" about it.My new wig is a firm favourite for sure!

Dressing up as such no longer exists in my year,however I make a special effort daily to present myself in attractive casuals whilst at home.
Ranging from jeans,slim leg trousers or leggings,complete with hip length tunics being a favourite.
I wear good footwear as I think one needs to take care of your stature ......mine is impaired even so.
I find it is good for the morale even when feeling decidedly peaky and off colour.......weekends I usually wear one of my jumpsuits as I like to gain my DH`s full approval still!

Casual to smart casual will see me nicely dressed wherever I am likely to go these days, and I am already enjoying trying out my new Spring outfits!!!

I have one autumn/winter outfit that perhaps I consider "best" right now..........a three quarter length coatagan in navy with rust stripes,I have a sweater of similar hues,I wear it with a smart pair of navy trousers and tan boots/bag/scarf.

Not worn as yet, but probably "best" until the autumn is a sand coloured light weight trouser suit,with sand suede sling backs and a whole range of tops/blouses.

Whatever else in my life I love my clothes,hence I suppose my pen name!!!

ninathenana Fri 11-May-18 09:07:57

Weddings, meal out at a restaraunt as apposed to a gastro pub, birthday 'dos' are dress up and full make up affairs.
Smart casual and minimal make up for any other outing.
Indoors, no make up and what ever cones to hand !

Teetime Fri 11-May-18 09:22:26

I dress and make up everyday (light make up if staying at home) but a full do if leaving the house more in the evening which is rare. I enjoy clothes and dressing up so I will gladly frock up on the smallest of occasions. I don't enjoy wearing trousers and wouldn't leave the house in leggings (bum too big). I am sorry few people seem to dress up for the theatre, restaurant or concert. It used to be such an occasion with everyone in their finery- all seems so bland now.

EthelJ Fri 11-May-18 09:25:41

I tend to live in jeans or trousers, dresses and skirts don't look very good on me. I think I'm the wrong shape because I always just look frumpy. I'm not great at putting on make up but I don't like to go out without some foundation on.

TwiceAsNice Fri 11-May-18 09:27:46

Casual tops and trousers on an ordinary day. Dress or more "dressy" skirt/ trousers/ top for say school event at granddaughters school or nice meal out. Fully dress up mode for wedding or posh party. For example DD2 having party for 10th wedding anniversary soon will dress up for that and godson getting married next Easter so full posh for that. I still work part time and dress office smart for that with makeup and jewellery but wear little makeup on my days off unless going out somewhere nice, just lipstick if just going to the shops, walking about locally. Always use perfume though and nice face and body moisturisers.