Gransnet forums

Chat

Royal wedding obsession!

(234 Posts)
Witzend Tue 15-May-18 08:43:38

There's no getting away from it - they've just been banging on about it on Classic FM, which I'm listening to in the dining room - just went into kitchen for another coffee - Dh in there listening to Radio 4 - and they were on about it, too.

I do wish them happy and I hope the sun shines for them on Saturday, but....
Oh, and tins of Royal Wedding biscuits in M&S!!

Panache Tue 15-May-18 08:51:25

We shall all suffer from a new disease called Royal Wedding Fever
By the time the media and all the commercial producers stop banging on about their forthcoming nuptuals.............for goodness sake it will hardly stop the universe in its tracks, so as much as I wish the young couple long life,good health and a great marriage I really do not wish having every single detail blown up out of all sense...........and rammed down my throat.

Yes, I have happily dedicated Saturday to sit comfortably in our sitting room...........even with a glass in my hand .......at the appropriate time......BUT I have no wish to be forever bombarded with this.

Let us leave the young couple in peace after the event...........for my word, there has been far too much hyp with the run up to it!!!!

ffinnochio Tue 15-May-18 08:54:49

...and you’re perpetuating the ‘banging on about it’ by starting this thread, Witzend. As am I by commenting!

Teetime Tue 15-May-18 09:00:07

I shall watch it on Saturday morning with a glass of bubbly for a toast but that's me done - no wedding biscuits from M & S for me.

Anniebach Tue 15-May-18 09:02:43

BBC is starting wedding talk on Thursday , expect SKY will do the same, boring,boring,boring.

LynneB59 Tue 15-May-18 09:06:29

It's getting on my nerves too.

Having said that, I run a day centre for elderly people, and we're holding a Royal Wedding party this Friday.... we're having a buffet, with traditional, old-fashioned food like cheese and pineapple on sticks, the usual assortment of sandwiches, pork pie, etc., etc., and trifle, Swiss roll, jam tarts, etc. I'm decorating the place with Harry & Meghan bunting, balloons, flags. We're having plates and serviettes with their faces on. Buck's Fizz to toast the couple.

Tombola (I rig it so that everyone wins something), an old-time singer, plus records (not CDs)of Vera Lynn, Mrs Mills, things like that.

I don't particularly like any of the royals, but I know that our old dears will enjoy it this week.

Wheniwasyourage Tue 15-May-18 09:45:57

I'm going to visit DCG on Saturday; much more fun!

Wheniwasyourage Tue 15-May-18 09:46:35

Or even DGC confused

silverlining48 Tue 15-May-18 09:48:25

Lynne, well done, I am sure all will enjoy and appreciate the work which has gone into your celebrations.
Me? not sure I will watch it, but do wish the couple well.

felice Tue 15-May-18 09:57:51

A friend and I will be preparing food in the Church on Saturday afternoon for a big lunch on Sunday. We decided last night that we would, watch the frocks, then she would come and pick me up.
All a bit OTT from the media I think, I wonder what the government will sneak out this weekend when the country are all busy with the wedding ?

paddyann Tue 15-May-18 11:01:07

media brainwashing ,keeping the myth alive that royals are a good thing and necessary for the country.When in fact its a medieval concept thats out of date and out of touch with the rest of us.The royals neither know you exist nor care ,only that their cash cow is still toiling to provide the multi millions they get every single year .

Besstwishes Tue 15-May-18 11:06:30

I think they are well worth the 65p a year that they cost me.

I’m sure a President would cost me just as much, if not more.

paddyann is there anything about England that you like?

Grandma70s Tue 15-May-18 11:19:25

I’m not really interested in Harry or Meghan, but I shall certainly watch the wedding and all the fuss before it. I'm curious to see how different it might be from other royal weddings. There are so many possibilities. I am familiar with Windsor because my elder son lives very close, so I shall be interested in how the place looks with more going on than usual!

sunseeker Tue 15-May-18 11:22:46

I am certainly not "obsessed" by the Royal wedding. It is newspapers and magazines who are printing anything and everything they can to fill their pages. Whilst there will be some who read and watch everything about it, most of the people I know only take a passing interest in it. I won't be watching but I do wish them a long and happy marriage.

muffinthemoo Tue 15-May-18 11:47:00

I do like a good gawk at other folks’ weddings sorry haha!

I saw the wedding biscuits but I didn’t fancy them at that price, even if they do come in a commemorative tin!

goldengirl Tue 15-May-18 12:00:15

There's always something to latch on to eg Mother's Day, Father's Day, Hallowe'en........and the Royal Wedding is just another money making opportunity. I too wish them well but it's getting rather a pain when you switch on the TV and it's the RW in its various shapes and forms and looking back in time to other RWs. I feel sorry for them having to be so public. They can't even have a baby in peace.

Fennel Tue 15-May-18 12:21:52

The FA cup final is on the same day, but later, I think.
We won't be watching either, but I remember having the afternoon off work to watch Charles and Diana's wedding.
We stayed at work and all watched on the TV in the meetings room.

ninathenana Tue 15-May-18 12:24:00

H and I have postponed our usual Friday supermarket shop until Saturday and will go the garden centre first.
Anything to get away from the TV !!
My friend and her DD have bought flags and other tat plus fizz and will be glued to it. They are even wearing wedding smart outfits.
Takes all sorts.

sodapop Tue 15-May-18 13:26:58

As an 'old dear' I will enjoy the wedding but not the constant flow of banalities surrounding it.

DanniRae Tue 15-May-18 13:27:32

I am really looking forward to watching the wedding. No special clothes or drinks to celebrate though - just me sitting on my settee with the dog beside me. Not so sure about the cup final though because my husband's team are playing and he will be in an agony of suspense for 90 minutes. And they played last year............and lost!!

hildajenniJ Tue 15-May-18 14:11:38

My DH booked the day off work so that he can sit in front of the television and watch the whole thing from start to finish. He's never seen a Royal Wedding!!!! Having had his own business for years before joining the Co-op, he's always had to work. He is looking forward to it immensely.

Floradora9 Tue 15-May-18 15:35:01

Well you all will know what will come next , is whe pregnant yet ? I had to laugh when I saw some statistics about street parties for the wedding . There was one to take place in Scotland . As the football fans said " We'd rather watch a panda than a prince "

Baggs Tue 15-May-18 15:54:56

There IS getting away from it. Switch off the radio and the telly and turn the page of any newsprint or digital news media you are perusing if its contents are irritating you. Simple.

I don't care two hoots about the royal wedding, except to wish them well as I would any young couple. I am aware it is going to happen and that's about the sum total of my knowledge.

Of course people will be waiting for M to get pregnant. You don't have to take any notice of that either. But the expectation of pregnancy in such a situation is what's normal, not grousing about other people's interest.

Baggs Tue 15-May-18 15:55:53

Actually, maybe grousing is normal too.

Baggs Tue 15-May-18 15:57:36

Isn't it a bit rude to complain about other people's interests though? Nobody is forced to be interested (see avoidance tactics above).