Gransnet forums

Chat

Mammogram recall

(28 Posts)
Jane2018 Thu 17-May-18 09:13:49

Good morning ladies. I am new to the forum and am hoping that some of you can offer me some words of wisdom to get me off the ceiling ! I am 55 years old. Three years ago I had my first mammogram and was recalled for further images. I was fortunate and extremely lucky. It turned out that due to HRT (having a horrendous menopause) my breast tissue was denser. I left the clinic relieved. I was also told that it is quite normal to be recalled after a first mammogram as they have nothing to compare with. My second mammogram was two weeks ago (three yearly check). Yesterday a letter came through the letterbox and I have been recalled again. This time I am EXTREMELY worried as I know they do have previous images to compare this set with. My appointment is tomorrow and I can’t help but think that due to the quickness of the appointment there must be something terribly wrong. I haven’t slept and am extremely anxious. I DO suffer from extreme anxiety and this situation is certainly not helping. Sorry for the long long post !!

fiorentina51 Thu 17-May-18 09:27:15

I had a recall 6 years ago and, like you, I was well and truly wound up!
I had a biopsy which came back clear but 2 days later I was phoned up and asked to come in for another one.
Basically, the doctor hadn't managed to take the sample from the required area so it had to be done again. Had the procedure done and this time I could see the results on a screen by my head. Doctor thought it was a cyst but sent the sample off for testing. Several days later it was confirmed as a cyst.
Husband had put a bottle of champagne in the fridge in order to celebrate or drown our sorrows, depending on the result. Maybe you could do the same?
Your recall will probably be nothing to worry about, but if it isn't, then take heart in the fact that the system has picked up any potential problems nice and early.
Best wishes! X

Luckygirl Thu 17-May-18 09:30:39

I have had two recalls which proved fine. They do play safe, so please do not jump to worst-case-scenario. It is a bit nerve-wracking though, I know. Good luck today.

Panache Thu 17-May-18 09:36:32

Jane 2018........just a message wishing you the best news when you have these results flowers
Of course anything to do with what is often referred to as the "Big C" has us all scared witless.Fret not,you are far from being alone.
It is a frightening experience.
However please take heart from our first two posters..........who both had similar experiences but came out "in the clear"
Always best to be safe than sorry I think, and it is good knowing they really are playing it safe.

Jane2018 Thu 17-May-18 09:38:19

Thank you fiorentina51 and luckygirl. Fingers crossed all will be okay. Both my grandmother and mother had breast cancer. Both older when diagnosed. My mother refused the gene test at the time and any time I have asked my doctor about this they have side tracked me - perhaps they feel my anxiety would not cope well with it. I have had an extremely stressful four years and this has taken a huge toll on my mental health. I find dealing with everyday life challenging. This situation has triggered me and I am struggling a bit. I can’t tell you how much I appreciate your responses

MawBroon Thu 17-May-18 09:39:31

Keep calm - I know that is a heck of a lot easier to say than do.
There are many reasons why you have been recalled but one thought to keep in your mind that it is better to be safe.
The image may (for technical reasons ) be unclear
The denser breast tissue (before) may have meant they need another image to compare
There may be a cyst (my recall)
I know it is worrying, I was sick with fear when I was recalled, until a friend reminded me that the reason we have any tests is to take action early if it is necessary. And we all know that early action is paramount. We don’t hear enough about all the people who have had a diagnosis in the past and are still with us today in fact you might never know they had ever been threatened with breast cancer.
Stay brave, don’t go to Doctor Google, and we will be here for you when you, I hope, get reassuring news. flowers
Thinking of you.

Jane2018 Thu 17-May-18 09:41:00

Thank you panache. Hopefully tomorrow will go well and any further investigations will prove to be good and non problematic. A worrying time My appointment is first thing in the morning - gives me less time to get knotted up!

Jane2018 Thu 17-May-18 09:45:06

Thank you MawBroon. Good words of wisdom. You are all being so supportive. My GP has been helpful and is such a lovely lady. She has said she will phone me tomorrow late to find out how my appointment has gone. My youngest daughter (20) is worried sick and I am desperately trying to put a brave face on the situation - not easy. My husband died four years ago so I don’t have that support at a time when it would be beneficial

shysal Thu 17-May-18 09:49:12

I too had a recall a few years ago. On ultrasound examination it was found to be benign duct ectasia. I think all recalls are quick so don't let that worry you in particular. I gather the majority of findings in this scenario turn out to be OK, not that it will stop you worrying. We wouldn't be normal if we didn't bat an eyelid! Hope all turns out well for you. sunshine

hildajenniJ Thu 17-May-18 09:55:14

Try to keep calm. I had a recall after my last mamogram and was worried, as you are. Most recalls are purely precautionary. Mine turned out to be a small fluid filled cyst, which they drained then and there. They recall everyone quickly, because as you know, the sooner anything sinister is caught, the better.
Good luck for tomorrow. ?

Luckygirl Thu 17-May-18 09:55:43

There is BC in my family too - my sister has had it twice when she was young. But I do not have it, so do not jump to the conclusion that just because it is in your family then you are at risk.

They are playing safe by recalling you and the most likely outcome is that things are fine. Even if there is a need for a biopsy, then it is so reassuring to know that the NHS aims to catch anything as early as possible.

Most clinics such as this do everything - second mammogram, biopsy etc - all in one clinic visit. I know you will feel anxious, and I am sorry you are having to go through this. We will all be thinking of you.

Elegran Thu 17-May-18 10:09:17

I was told that nine out of ten of the recalls turn out to be technical things - an out-of-focus photo that can't be properly analysed or some such thing. They get you back fast so as to do a better scan quickly and cross you off the list, so that they can move on to other people.

The scan reveals cancers only millimetres across, which would not be obvious any other way. Ask yourself, would you rather the photo stayed blurry and a tumour was missed and could get bigger and bigger until it was too late to remove it? Your quick recall is a win, not a disaster.

Thirteen years ago I was recalled too, and an 8mm tumour found which was removed with no problems. I have been fine ever since.

MawBroon Thu 17-May-18 10:17:10

Extra flowers Jane as you are facing this without your DH.
Keep the faith!

pensionpat Thu 17-May-18 10:30:35

Jane. Look very closely at the wording in the letter. They do not pull any punches. If they had see something suspicious they would say. I know. And although in my case there was a tumour, it was very small and easily treated. I consider myself lucky at the speed of action.

Jane2018 Thu 17-May-18 11:04:26

The first line of the letter reads - your recent breast x-rays have been examined and are unclear The rest of the letter is about the tine the appointment could take - anything from one hour to approx three hours. I thought perhaps all the letters would be standard and would not give any indicator of findings as it may cause more anxiety

pensionpat Thu 17-May-18 11:14:57

It may vary from hospital to hospital but my letter was more worrying than that. Sorry I can't remember exactly the wording. In my opinion unclear could be just that and they need to do another mamm. We do overthink these things. It's natural. Just keep your fingers firmly crossed and let us know how you got on. Will be thinking of you.

Anannymous Thu 17-May-18 11:57:04

Sorry you have all this worry. When I was recalled I was told by the lady in the office of our local mammogram service that they send the recall letters out as near to the appointment as possible to avoid unnecessary worry. Really hope all goes well and that you come out smiling but I know how stressful the waiting is.

Katek Thu 17-May-18 11:57:48

I can appreciate your anxiety OP-I had to be scraped off the ceiling 6 years ago when I received a recall. Turned out to be a fluid filled cyst. Try and stay positive, will be thinking of you tomorrow. smile

Eglantine21 Thu 17-May-18 12:23:32

It’s very scary I know, having been through the recall, followed by a scan, followed by a biopsy just before Christmas last year. And my daughter had gone through it all just six months before. In both cases we had a fatty lump.

I hope it all goes well for you.

Luckygirl Thu 17-May-18 13:31:15

My second recall also turned out to be a cyst.

nanaK54 Thu 17-May-18 15:41:15

Sending you kind thoughts flowers

goldengirl Thu 17-May-18 16:08:49

It's scary to have a recall. I had one some weeks ago but it turned out to be because of a technical fault. I was frightened but I told myself that at least someone is looking carefully at the results. Wishing you well Jane2018

Synonymous Thu 17-May-18 16:16:35

Jane18 These things are not nice to deal with in the best of circumstances but without the support of your DH it must be doubly hard! Will be thinking of you tomorrow and praying that all will be well with you. flowers

Jane2018 Thu 17-May-18 17:11:01

Thank you everyone for all the support. I feel as though I have an army of women helping me along through this difficult time. At times like these we all need every ounce of advice we can get. The kind words and advice from all of you has been most positive. Wishing you all well - superstars each and every one of you

shysal Thu 17-May-18 18:19:09

It would be nice to hear from you after your appointment, for an update. I hope your fears are unfounded or any untoward findings can be dealt with. If you feel a weight on your shoulders it will be us GNetters sitting there supporting you! flowers