Gransnet forums

Chat

Soap bars -going back in time

(170 Posts)
suzied Fri 22-Jun-18 06:38:16

In an effort to reduce plastic I’ve started using old fashioned soap bars again rather than shower gels and liquid hand washes, and what a revelation. I’m using an olive oil soap in the shower I bought back from Greece and it definitely leaves my skin softer. ( plus it lasts for ages). I love smelling all those artisan soaps you see in farmers markets and I like the idea of fewer harsh chemicals on the skin. Does anyone have a favourite soap? Whats the best soap dish to stop it all going manky by the sink?

Liz46 Fri 22-Jun-18 06:51:31

I used to love Coty L'Aimant soap but I doubt that it is available now. My daughter, a keen diver, is a fervent plastic hater and we are also trying to cut down on plastic containers. We use Dove soap in the shower but I do like the idea of an olive oil soap.

Marydoll Fri 22-Jun-18 06:56:47

We too use soap bars in preference to plastic bottles. I usually buy soaps abroad, especially ones from Italy.
It does have its disadvantages. Last year, I bought beautiful soaps from the Vatican Museum shop at Rome airport and DH stashed them away in his hand luggage. The customs officer who stopped him for a random search, thought they were drugs.?

MawBroon Fri 22-Jun-18 06:58:24

Do you remember Camay?
(You'll Be a little lovelier each day.......)
It was my first experience of scented soap, before that we had Imperial Leather (actually quite nice) and Lifeboy (Lifebuoy?)
I wonder if it still exists?

MawBroon Fri 22-Jun-18 07:00:33

I also still have some bars of Wright’s Coal Tar soap - the orange one.
It was the only soap Paw could use that he didn’t react to and the smell of it is so very evocative smile

travelsafar Fri 22-Jun-18 07:07:46

We use bars of soap too. Dove for me and Imperial Leather for DH.
Love the smell of them both and theres the added bonus of no plastic to get rid of as OP states.
Also use boxes of washing powder rather than liquid. .
At the knitting group i go to we are knitting what are supposed to be mobile phone covers in cotton yarn. We put a single bar of soap inside and sell them on our charity stall as wash mitts. They are to replace the plastic scrubbie that most of us use in the shower. Every little helps

J52 Fri 22-Jun-18 07:08:29

I have also recently been using some beautiful soap I was given. My GCs love the novelty of using it and the perfume lasts on the skin longer than liquid soap.
I had forgotten the soapy mess it leaves on the basin!

OldMeg Fri 22-Jun-18 07:31:04

I’m currently using Body Shop pink grapefruit soap. I love smelling like a smoothie.

gillybob Fri 22-Jun-18 07:35:07

I’ve always used soap bars (as well as body washes) . I’ve used Pears since I can remember. I just love the comforting smell.

jenpax Fri 22-Jun-18 07:48:17

I use a French lavender soap that I bought in a market in Provence. I too love real artisan soaps and olive oil is so good for the skin. My mother used to use it when expecting me to try and cut down on stretch marks? she didn’t have many but to be fair who knows if it was the olive oil or just luck?

Lindylou51 Fri 22-Jun-18 08:05:35

Maw, I do remember Camay and used it for years until you could no longer get it. I have psoriasis and very sensitive skin and it was the only soap for me. We still use soap bars and have a little magnet thingy which you screw on the wall and holds the soap. We have unscrewed and taken this around every house move smile

Greyduster Fri 22-Jun-18 08:17:25

My DH has for a long time used Wright’s Coal Tar or Imperial Leather soap in preference to shower gels. I used to love Bronley soaps, especially sandalwood, but haven’t used them for years, and the only soap bars I have used recently have been from Lush. At Christmas DD bought me some Italian Nesti Dante soaps which are so beautifully packaged I can’t bear to open them, but will have to eventually.

Alima Fri 22-Jun-18 08:20:37

I am so relieved that bars of soap are back in fashion. Noticing that several shops I tried no longer stocked bar soap I panic -bought 48 bars of our usual stuff when I found it in Wilko.

Auntieflo Fri 22-Jun-18 08:20:56

When we visited the Sunlight soap factory, I bought a couple of bars of beautiful soaps, but haven't been able to bring myself to use them, yet, but now I just might. One was a Vinolia soap and the other was a Pears soap, but green, and they smell so very nice.

DanniRae Fri 22-Jun-18 08:22:05

Oh, I used to love Pears soap gillybob - I am off to Sainsburys this morning and I will buy some. I usually use Dove soap or body wash in the shower.
Forgive my ignorance but is plastic a problem if you put it in the recycling? confused

NfkDumpling Fri 22-Jun-18 08:23:05

We gave up on liquid soap when I found out what it was made from. We brought back some local coal tar soap from Estonia and it is black. I was assured I would stay forever young - then she realised what she’d said and revised it to not get any older! It is lovely soap although it leaves black scum everywhere!

We usually get Wright’s Coal Tar or Imperial Leather and it works out much cheaper than the liquid, even though the sinks don’t stay as clean.

PamelaJ1 Fri 22-Jun-18 08:23:30

I am also trying to cut down on plastic and this is an easy way of doing it.
At the moment I’m using quite a large bar of soap made in Norfolk . I estimate it will last about 2years!
I have a ‘fish’ dish that I keep it in, a bit rough on the bottom so the soap isn’t sitting in water , it still gets a bit soft at the bottom though.
I also use Moulton Brown facial soap bars- they last forever too.

harrigran Fri 22-Jun-18 08:26:46

I buy French soaps, usually a well known make that is made in Provence.

Greyduster Fri 22-Jun-18 08:33:20

DanniRae if you buy your Pear’s soap I hope you aren’t, as, I was, disappointed to find it seems to be half the size that it used to be! It used to take a while to get to the stage where you could actually see your fingers through it. Now the whole bar was reduced to a sliver in no time at all! Still nice soap though.

suzied Fri 22-Jun-18 09:01:19

harrigran Is the French one Roget et G? Something or L’Occitane? I think they sometimes sell nice ones in TKMaxx. May have a hunt next time I’m there.

Bathsheba Fri 22-Jun-18 09:02:20

Greyduster I switched to Pear's soap recently (from Imperial Leather, which always dries out and cracks, grrr), and I agree - it does indeed wear away much quicker than I remember from years ago. I love the feel of it when it's new, that raised edge all around, but that shape is smoothed off within just a day or two! I do love it though smile

KatyK Fri 22-Jun-18 09:08:05

Camay is alive and well. My sister uses it all the time. I'm not sure where she gets it from though.

SueDonim Fri 22-Jun-18 09:12:28

I've never stopped using bars of soap, although I do use liquid in the cloakroom as I know some folk are funny about bars.

M&S do a nice range of inexpensive soaps and both Sainsbury's and Tesco sell bigger bars of fancy paper-wrapped soap. I also ask for nice soaps for birthdays/Xmas.

Like the OP I've just bought soap in Greece and it's lovely!

I searched for ages for a good soap dish and am finally happy with this. It's plastic, but doesn't look like it, and will last forever. www.lakeland.co.uk/24847/Silicone-Soap-Saver-Dish-With-Draining-Spout?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIlffM0-jm2wIVT0PTCh0vHwDsEAQYASABEgLKm_D_BwE&src=gfeed&s_kwcid=AL!49!3!246750933050!!!g!46401506674!&ef_id=WxUevgAAAHEDRrYV:20180622080857:s

shysal Fri 22-Jun-18 09:23:41

I use Dove these days, but also used to love Pears, Wright's Coal Tar and Imperial Leather. I use the sort of soap dish that drains into a bottom tray which can be easily emptied and cleaned. Also available in chrome to suit any décor.

rizlett Fri 22-Jun-18 09:24:04

I use one of those magnetic soap holders that were trendy in the 70's - they sell them on ebay - mine came from china and although it's plastic it's lasted years. I also use beer bottle tops if the magnet that fixes in the soap gets mislaid.