Gransnet forums

Chat

Woke.

(57 Posts)
Teetime Tue 03-Jul-18 09:01:31

Dont know if I have missed a thread on this but what's with all this Woke stuff- can anyone explain it to me please?

Chewbacca Tue 03-Jul-18 09:05:31

No idea Teetime, but now I'm agog to learn more. Where have you seen it, and in what context?

Teetime Tue 03-Jul-18 09:45:50

I have seen it in the newspapers and it seems to mean something connected with being tuned in to the prevailing culture- I think????

stella1949 Tue 03-Jul-18 09:52:03

Woke is a slang term which means you are "awake" to what is really on around you. People who are sensitive to social situations are "woke". For instance, a man who is very sensitive to feminist issues would be described as being " really woke, man".

Elegran Tue 03-Jul-18 09:54:38

I think it means approximately the same as "with it" used to. Sort of "woken up to what is going on".

Of course, the whole point of these ever-changing buzzwords is that by the time most of the population has "cottoned on" the term is out of date, and using it shows that you are definitely "without it", fast asleep, and behind the times.

Nanny27 Tue 03-Jul-18 09:56:58

Well I've never heard it but will definitely be listening out for it now.

Panache Tue 03-Jul-18 09:57:18

I am very awoke!!................or really if I am honest I am more unawoke............off to pendants corner for that one!!!

glammanana Tue 03-Jul-18 09:59:13

I am always behind the door when "buzz words" are being banded about.

Elegran Tue 03-Jul-18 10:00:34

It IS possible, (believe it or not, milleniums) to be aware of what is going on around you without being bang up-to-date with the latest fashionable way of describing someone who is aware of what is going on.

There are more important things happening than a change in the latest buzzwords. A rose is a rose by any other name.

mabon1 Tue 03-Jul-18 10:02:58

never heard of it

notnecessarilywiser Tue 03-Jul-18 10:30:30

The look on my teenage GS's face when I slip words such as "woke" into a conversation is well worth the effort of keeping my finger on the pulse!

Neilspurgeon0 Tue 03-Jul-18 10:44:01

Oh elegran I SO agree, I am decidedly unwoke, but considered very ‘on the ball’ by my grandkids who even sometimes ask me for advice.

Mind you thirteen year old James remarked the other week after a six mile tramp around the place, we we’re doing a bit of scrumping fir early cherries, that “you have twenty year old legs grandad (I am 67), but mine are eight year old legs”. Hilarious these youngsters.

TLVgran48 Tue 03-Jul-18 11:00:15

Just heard about through Facebook and this -
www.facebook.com/bbccomedy/videos/10155552204996778/

Oopsadaisy53 Tue 03-Jul-18 11:06:37

My GCs told me at the weekend that they have a neighbour who is an Emo, so they didn’t really get on with him.

After asking Dr Google, apparently it’s a music thingy....... I think, I didn’t like to go back and ask the kiddies.

Elegran Tue 03-Jul-18 11:06:47

Love that, TLVgran48

Kim19 Tue 03-Jul-18 12:00:21

I'm another nhoi brigade but I'm pleased of the opportunity to surprise my offspring should it come up in conversation and I'm savvy for once. Bring it on.

Lilyflower Tue 03-Jul-18 12:07:45

It is nothing to do with fashion. Being 'woke' is a virtue-signalling term for being aware of left wing social issues such as trans gender or LGBT concerns. Whether you are aware or not aware you are in the wrong.

Best stay firmly asleep.

Elegran Tue 03-Jul-18 12:16:36

Virtue signalling is in fashion. Joking about it (about the self-admiration of disapproving virtue signallers, not about the issues or the genuine work to resolve them) is a hanging offence.

Lilylaundry Tue 03-Jul-18 12:31:58

TLVgran48 and glamamana. So funny. I love the 'behind the door when buzz words are handed out'. I'm so with you behind that door. I'm just about getting used to 'cool', which, I think means good, but I don't say it in case it means something naughty or inappropriate.

Brigidsdaughter Tue 03-Jul-18 12:41:46

TLV So funny! On top of learning a new word to spring on my 22 year to light!!

Brigidsdaughter Tue 03-Jul-18 12:41:57

Tonight

GillT57 Tue 03-Jul-18 12:55:50

TLVGran I love that clip! Hilarious grin.

Blinko Tue 03-Jul-18 13:04:11

Never heard of 'woke' in this context. Is it another metropolitan thing, beloved of the SE and the media? Loved the clip, TLV. Definitely unwoke, me.

allsortsofbags Tue 03-Jul-18 13:09:56

I'm staying asleep too. Don't think I was ever "Woke" and I'm too lazy to start now lol.

Just had to Google it, think I've understood it's meaning but this is one buzz word I shall let pass me by grin

These buzz words and so on do change so rapidly though.

I know I'm well out of the world of work but a couple of weeks ago DD2 was chatting and said the CEO kept saying "focus" in a meeting and she had to stop herself laughing.

What's so funny about "focus" said I. Apparently in her last job they used it as ( off cause you're stupid) and it sets her off laughing now whenever she hears it. Ah how things change.

Teetime Tue 03-Jul-18 13:48:59

Reminds of the 'Bollocks Bingo' we used to play in management meetings counting how much meaningless jargon was used.