Gransnet forums

Chat

Memories

(93 Posts)
Wilma65 Sun 15-Jul-18 21:16:33

I was talking to a friend about memories and how much we remembered of our childhood. I can’t remember much at all just little bits here and there. She thought I was odd. I can’t remember much of my teenage years either. How much can you remember? Is it an age thing? I’m 67.

janeainsworth Sun 15-Jul-18 21:29:47

My earliest memory is of my sister being born at home when I was 2y 4 m old. I also remember taking her to 'the Welfare' as it was known, to get weighed and measured and get supplies of dried milk. I can almost remember the smell.
I also have clear memories of my paternal GM who died when I was 3.
Lots of memories of teenage years, possibly because I still regularly see my two friends from school who I used to go youth hostelling with, and inevitably we often reminisce about those days.

FlexibleFriend Sun 15-Jul-18 21:41:32

No it's not an age thing my youngest son claims the same thing.

Wilma65 Sun 15-Jul-18 21:56:23

I wonder why some people remember more than others?

I also have problems with visualising things. I don’t know if it’s connected. My family say if you ask them to think about what something looks like, say a giraffe, they can see the image in their head. I can’t see anything.
Probably why I was no good doing visualisation and relaxation

paddyann Sun 15-Jul-18 22:18:58

I can remember most things and random days jump out and surprise me now and then.I had a wonderful childhood surrounded by a huge family,my parents were the only ones of their generation who had kids so all the aunts and uncles were a big part of our lives ,we lived in the same house as Granny and two sets of aunts and uncles and an unmarried aunt.I think thats why I love being surrounded by people.My teens were busy I had wee jobs since I was 13 and left school at 15 ,I can see people clearly in my head and visualise places and things .The odd thing is I'm not sentimental or nostalgic so I dont actually sit down and talk about or think about the past...its just always there .I also dont keep momentoes or souvenirs

annep Sun 15-Jul-18 22:33:43

I can remember a lot and more if I make time to sit and consciously remember. Strange thing though. I shared a bed with my ten year younger sister when I was a teenager and I remember nothing about it, which I find sad. Obviously wrapped up in myself!

Humbertbear Mon 16-Jul-18 08:46:24

There has been a lot in the media lately about memories not being ‘true’ memories but having been refined every time we think of them or talk about them. Maybe you have never spent much time thinking back or maybe your life ran on an even keel so nothing stood out?
I remember falling over in our garden when I was 2 1/2 and I remember the coronation and my sister being born (I was 3).steangely I don’t remember moving home in the same year. My next memory is of starting school aged 5.

harrigran Mon 16-Jul-18 09:10:31

I can remember my childhood even at a very young age. I can remember my paternal GF and he died when I was two. The year I started school I caught chicken pox, measles and scarlet fever so being five was memorable.
What I did the other day is more of a challenge.

M0nica Mon 16-Jul-18 09:16:12

I think some people have longer memories than others

I have very clear memories going back to about 3, helped I think by having a father in the army so that we were always moving house so I can remember things by saying 'when we lived in.....' DD and DH, on the other hand. have very short memories.

DD's memory is a bit like a computer disk. It wipes itself clean after about 5 years. There are events in her teenage years, that have entered family history and come up on occasion in conversation, events to her credit, not disasters, and she now has absolutely no memory of the event and says she is dependent on other peoples memories of her childhood otherwise she would remember little. Yet she remembers quite clearly how every house we lived in was decorated!

pollyperkins Mon 16-Jul-18 09:28:58

I remember large parts of my life (esp childhood) in great detail, but DH claims to remember very little before his teenage years. I also rember early married lufe a d having babies and toddlers. The bit that is rather vague is when my children were older (ie teenagers and at university) but I remember their weddings and all the births of grandchildren clearly.
We (DH and I) are currently writing our memoirs for the grandchildren and it's interesting to compare accounts of the same period as we remember different things and the emphasis is quite different. His is much more about his work, mine more about family and much more detailed!

trisher Mon 16-Jul-18 10:27:00

I don't really remember much from my childhood and always thought everyone else had a better memory than me. I was surprised then when I read my mother's eulogy at her funeral to have my brother ask me afterwards "How did you remember all that? I'd forgotten about the jobs she did." The memories of what she did when I was young just seemed to be part of things I knew and not really memories. So perhaps it isn't so much to do with what you remember but where you have stored that memory.

gillybob Mon 16-Jul-18 10:38:02

I remember falling in a puddle in my new beige coat and being frightened to come home from school. Who would let a child walk 6-8 streets home from school aged 5 anyway?

I remember the spiders webs on the wall of our outside toilet (shared with 2 other families). I would have been 3 or 4.

I remember my favourite auntie being pregnant with my cousin and can even see her in her homemade pink gingham smock. I would have been about 4.

JanaNana Mon 16-Jul-18 11:04:11

I can remember lots of different things from both my childhood and teenage years. I am still in touch with three of my friends from early childhood and we often reminisce about those times. The school I attended also has its own FB site so lots of memories are shared on it and bring back different memories and incidents from our schooldays and the teachers we liked or disliked. In my childhood from age 5-9, I used to spend around three weeks of the main summer holidays with an aunt and uncle who lived over the water from us...their house had a big garden with masses of sweet peas growing over trellises everywhere...every time I see sweet peas now I am straight away transported back to their garden, the lovely fragrance of the flowers and the outings they took me on. I re- live the whole experience. I can,t imagine not remembering all of these things. Also as children with no TVs just radio to listen to and reading books, you had to have imagination to appreciate them.

Panache Mon 16-Jul-18 11:18:17

There are 2 incidents that I vividly recall when surely only a child of 2/3.
Firstly opening this cupboard door and have (what seemed to me) to be a rat as big as a cat jump out at me.
I have never liked or tolerated rats evcer since though appreciate it was probably more frightened than I was!!

Secondly apparently sending my foster folk spare since I was "missing".......we lived on a small farm,well off any road at that time.
I was eventually "found" safe and sound, sharing the same dog kennel as our huge Alsatian guard dog....... with a reputation of being very vicious!!!

I remember very clearly lots of snippets in my primary school years and again in my early teens..........and there is rather a lot I clearly do not want to remember.
But yes also some rather blank spaces here and there.

Antonia Mon 16-Jul-18 11:50:36

I can remember being taken to see two maiden ladies, whose home my mother had lived in. I remember that they had one whole wall of what must have been their main living area, being a huge solid black-leaded range with ovens in it. It may not have been quite as I remember, but to me it seemed to go all the way up to the ceiling. That was the early 1950s and the two ladies must have been in their seventies at that time, so going back a long, long way.

Bellanonna Mon 16-Jul-18 11:53:04

Earliest memories were of sirens and all clears. Quite chilling when I hear these again in old films. First day at school, aged 4, my Dad walked me there. I can now understand why Mum might not have wanted to. I remember going and sitting at an empty desk and talking to the girl next to me. Remember saying goodbye 3 on my 4th birthday. Other memories are odd pockets here and there. I remember some things, my brother remembers others. For a long time I thought doing a wee was “being excused”. I suppose children now just sensibly ask for the toilet. Must ask “my” little ones.

Antonia Mon 16-Jul-18 11:53:34

Also, I remember buying a print dress for my little sister at some sale or other, and my mother being so pleased! I must have been around seven or eight at the time, and looking back, I realise that money was tight.

Bellanonna Mon 16-Jul-18 11:58:31

I’m not surprised you don’t like rats, Panache. How horrible for you.
My wellies were kept in the under stairs cupboard and I remember, aged about 6, a mouse jumping out of one as I put my foot into it. . I recall screaming for ages. I would never now put wellies on without first feeling inside. However, they’ve always been empty thank goodness. ?

humptydumpty Mon 16-Jul-18 12:46:40

I think young people today will have more meories - I have video footage of my daughter at nursery, and I'm sure watching that will trigger other memories.

lilihu Mon 16-Jul-18 14:22:13

Wilma65 do you have aphantasia?
www.abc.net.au/news/2017-11-30/aphantasia-why-some-people-cant-see-pictures-in-imagination/9206792

Cherrytree59 Mon 16-Jul-18 14:33:22

I have an extremely good early childhood memory.
But not so good from teenage years on.
DH remembers more than I do about our children's ear!y years.

My ear!y memories are from about the age of 2 years old
They are also memories of smells and colours.
I remember the smell of the 1st year
Primary school classroom.

I remember the first time I was introduced at a very young age to my uncle's girlfriend.
I have no recollection of her face but remember distinctly her oranges dress.

HillyN Mon 16-Jul-18 15:24:01

I think I remember things that were scary or somehow out of ordinary. I have vague memories of being taken to an old lady ('Auntie' Grace)'s home and put to bed in an armchair; my DM told me it was the night she went into labour with my sister so I was almost 3.
We moved about every 3 years due to my DF's job, so I too can date events by what house we lived in at the time.

Anniebach Mon 16-Jul-18 16:41:30

Many memories of much love in an extended family , all in the same village. First memory was before age 3, my parents and I lived with my grandfather for three years then we moved two streets away. Playing in his garden , I wet my knickers , blue gingham to match my dress. My first bicycle when I was 7, playing hopscotch in the street , Chapel every Sunday . Staw hat with flowers for summer, brown bowler for winter. We lived 7 doors away from the school,
Seemed everyone’s father and grandfather worked in the pit. It felt so safe .

Daddima Mon 16-Jul-18 16:52:07

I remember going to the League of Health and Beauty and elocution lessons long before I went to school ( Old Meg, she was a gypsy, and lived upon the moors).
I also seem to remember going to visit a friend of my aunt, and being shown her wedding dress and bridesmaids’ dresses, but my late mother always said she had no recollection of this happening.

1974cookie Mon 16-Jul-18 21:21:50

I remember quite a few things from my childhood, but there is one thing that I cannot recall, and I wish I could.
My Darling Dad died suddenly when I was 14 years old. I remember that day well, I will never forget it. He meant absolutely everything to me.
However, on the day of Dads funeral, I remember the funeral flowers arriving at our house, I remember the Funeral director. I remember shaking hands with my Dad's boss at the cemetery, I remember some of the journey home.
I just cannot remember Dad's actual funeral. I have tried so hard to remember, but my mind is completely blank.
My older brother ( who turned out to be not a very nice person over the years ) told me shortly after the funeral that I did not care about our Dad because I did not cry at the funeral.
It broke my heart at the time because I did not remember anything and I felt so bad that I did not cry.
Hindsight tells me that I must have been traumatised and that my mind must have blanked out the thing that I could not face.

Gransnetters, have any of you experienced anything like this?
I would love to hear your experiences.