Gransnet forums

Chat

Winter draws on!

(100 Posts)
MiniMoon Sat 11-Aug-18 10:26:56

Summer is over in my garden. I know this because the peanut bird feeder, which has been ignored all summer long, is now attracting lots of blue tits and great tits.
I don't know where they go during the breeding season, but they are back, and happily munching on the nuts.
They are lovely to watch, but now I'm feeling a little melancholic at the thought of winter approaching. Ah me!

MawBroon Sat 11-Aug-18 10:48:17

I have noticed how the evenings are drawing in too.
I am having to take a torch with me when I take Hattie for her bedtime walkie, even as early as 9.30

Eglantine21 Sat 11-Aug-18 10:50:11

Where I live it was fleece day yesterday!

annodomini Sat 11-Aug-18 11:34:19

The duvet has gone back on, but only the 4.5 one; and my bedsocks have emerged from their summer break.

tiredoldwoman Sat 11-Aug-18 11:46:53

Yes, bed socks and dressing gown on at breakfast time yesterday . No throwing legs out of duvet to cool down either ! We have a saying here , when the Lammas Fair goes , it's Winter . It leaves on Wednesday morning ! I feel a sadness that winter is coming after such a delightful summer .

Blinko Sat 11-Aug-18 11:52:03

The heating came on this morning! Must not have switched it off altogether. It's off now!

glammanana Sat 11-Aug-18 12:07:39

Yes dressing gowns and fleeces all brought out yesterday to be freshly laundered and out backin wardrobe for the Autumn/Winter months.
Nights drawing in slowly now the lights across The Mersey at Liverpool Waterfront are more visable these past few nights its a great view but sadly the end of Summer creeping up.

goldengirl Sat 11-Aug-18 12:15:10

Perhaps the title of this post should be 'Winter drawers on' grin

sodapop Sat 11-Aug-18 12:49:58

Ye gods its still midsummer folks what's with the winter clothing? I still have my fan going and all the windows open at night.
Can't even look at a fleece without shuddering. I do love Autumn though, my favourite season.

SueDonim Sat 11-Aug-18 12:51:56

I'm sitting here trying to resist the temptation to put socks on because I want to keep on wearing sandals for a while yet.

lemongrove Sat 11-Aug-18 13:26:35

Bedsocks! shock
Still lovely and warm here, even though ( thankfully) we had lots of rain on Friday.
Was working on the garden today wearing cotton jeans and a vest top.
Are you all in the Shetlands? grin

SueDonim Sat 11-Aug-18 13:43:03

NE Scotland for me so almost Shetland! grin It's 16deg and cloudy, which is way lower than it's been for weeks.

jusnoneed Sat 11-Aug-18 13:43:10

Still warm enough for me but OH reckons it's cold!
The nights do seem to be drawing in quickly, last night the street lights were on well before 9pm for the first time.
Had rain yesterday afternoon and it's started again now - light enough to do good rather than damage.

glammanana Sat 11-Aug-18 13:43:24

lemon Up North right on top of The River grin

M0nica Sat 11-Aug-18 14:10:50

Hurrah, summers rapidly disappearing and autumn and winter are drawing nigh. I ordered the firewood today.

DanniRae Sat 11-Aug-18 15:12:40

Come on! It's not even the middle of August yet. I am just glad that the weather is more normal and that we have all of September to enjoy.
(And "Strictly" is back soon - HOORAH". Please don't come on here to say that you don't like the programme or have never even heard of it. Because I LOVE IT and don't really care grin)

luluaugust Sat 11-Aug-18 15:15:17

Had to wear shoes and socks yesterday instead of sandals and yes the dressing gown is back out ugh

Squiffy Sat 11-Aug-18 16:14:13

My acers leaves are changing colour, but it’s still warm here.

GrannyGravy13 Sat 11-Aug-18 16:19:21

It's the beginning of August, I intend to enjoy and celebrate the summer until the end of September (yes I know technically September is Autumn, but here in the SE it is normally a warm pleasant month)

ginny Sat 11-Aug-18 16:49:06

It is August. It is summer. End of

Jalima1108 Sat 11-Aug-18 17:02:27

I mentioned to DH this morning that autumn seems to be starting in August nowadays - it was 6C outside apparently.

Nanabilly Sat 11-Aug-18 17:10:37

Nnooooo. Shut up you horrible lot I've not had my summer holiday yet!!!!
??????????

Jalima1108 Sat 11-Aug-18 17:22:11

Nor me - but I may seek some sunshine

MiniMoon Sat 11-Aug-18 17:48:27

I've not had my summer holidays yet either. Going away at the end of August. I think that the swifts have departed for Africa, as I haven't seen or heard them for the last couple of days. They are always the last summer visitors to arrive and the first to leave. I'm in Northumberland by the way.

Dinnersready Sat 11-Aug-18 17:56:31

I'm not having a holiday away this year so once the suns gone that's it for me. I can't believe how cold and wet it is now and how early it gets dark (Midlands). Not really winter yet though!