Gransnet forums

Chat

how odd?or is it?

(120 Posts)
petunia Thu 13-Sep-18 07:30:55

I do the school run 2-3 times a week for GC1,now 5 and in year 1. This new school term, as I walk past the reception class to pick up, I’ve noticed two mothers in the crowd picking up their children. Both, seemingly not connected to each other, use “baby” slings to ferry their reception children to and from school. Both women heft their offspring onto their backs and set off on the walk home. It looks a bit strange to see a 4-5 year old bobbing along, in full school uniform, held onto their mother’s back by a gaily coloured cloth sling. I suppose the mothers should be commended for not clogging up the local roads with cars but is this a thing now? Using slings to carry quite large children? For me, I’d think very hard about doing a school run that involved carrying GC1 for half a mile or so.

gillybob Thu 13-Sep-18 07:42:22

Very odd indeed petunia although I do sometimes see very big children climbing in and out of buggies. I had to fight to get my DGC to go in one after about 2. Walking anywhere took forever .

Grammaretto Thu 13-Sep-18 07:43:55

Interesting! I am often surprised to see big kids in buggies but slings?
My DH caught the bus across town to school when he was 5, alone. Changed days.
See if it is still happening later in the term. grin

MissAdventure Thu 13-Sep-18 07:53:00

It seems ridiculous to me. shock

M0nica Thu 13-Sep-18 07:55:38

Don't the poor children have legs? Another ridiculous example of over mothering - or is it to save the parent having to talk to the child so that the mother can concentrate on her phone?

DanniRae Thu 13-Sep-18 07:58:01

How very peculiar shock

Maggiemaybe Thu 13-Sep-18 08:01:28

No, I haven’t seen that yet. I was going to say that the children should be walking, but then had a flashback to myself trudging home carrying an exhausted DS in the very early days of school. He started Reception the week he turned 4 and obviously gave it his all!

Maggiemaybe Thu 13-Sep-18 08:02:59

I suppose it’s a bit like just giving them a piggyback?

petunia Thu 13-Sep-18 08:12:17

ive never seen this before on such a large child, but to see two in the same reception class seemed bizarre. like gillybob, ive had to wrestle with both my GC to keep them in a pushchair once they could walk more than 100 yards.

MissAdventure Thu 13-Sep-18 08:18:19

It can't be healthy, lugging a child that size around every day!

Auntieflo Thu 13-Sep-18 08:29:48

My back aches just thinking about it.

ninathenana Thu 13-Sep-18 08:35:23

Strange indeed.
Regarding older 3/5 yr old children in buggies. Our youngest DGS was in a buggie at that age for walking any distance due to health issues.

harrigran Thu 13-Sep-18 08:55:42

Very strange, wonder if it has been discussed on MN. It may be a new trend. It is environmentally friendly but at what cost to the mother's back.
I have just had another thought, they may not be the mothers but the nanny or au pair.

sodapop Thu 13-Sep-18 09:09:36

My first thought was that it would not be good for the mother's back. I agree gillybob It was a struggle to get a child over two back into a pram if necessary.
There may be a reason for this but nothing springs to mind.

Eglantine21 Thu 13-Sep-18 09:22:34

Perhaps they are in training for a round the world backpacking trip?

Telly Thu 13-Sep-18 10:07:34

That's very odd. Will they be doing it when thay are 12 or 16? I used to work in HR and once had a mother on the phone to ask if she could come to the interview with her offspring. I expect she would also have come to work with him and done the job too!

Wheniwasyourage Thu 13-Sep-18 10:18:19

Seems strange to me. I can't understand the mothers who immediately take the school bag(s) from their child(ren) and carry it/them. How will the children ever learn to take responsibility for their own stuff if they just hand it over as soon as they come out of school? This is not just little P1s who have just started (and don't have more than a reading book in their bags anyway) but much older primary school children as well. My DC and DGC jolly well carried/carry their own bags!

Having said that, I have to admit that our youngest DC was in a buggy for much longer than the others because it was so handy for carrying the shopping blush

Elegran Thu 13-Sep-18 10:32:53

Perhaps the children have some health problem which means they are not able to walk the distance home without being overtired, and the mothers don't have cars?

I agree it seems very bad for the backs of those mothers, and if it was necessary then a small wheelchair would be better.

Elegran Thu 13-Sep-18 10:39:48

It is a trend! according to the Daily Mail (???)

Article in DMhttps://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-4146470/The-mothers-carry-four-year-olds.html

Note high heels on woman in photo "Lauren carries her son Dilon" - she also appears to be pregnant again so is she asking for trouble?

Elegran Thu 13-Sep-18 10:40:35

Better link www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-4146470/The-mothers-carry-four-year-olds.html

JackyB Thu 13-Sep-18 11:31:56

Remembering my au pair experience of walking a 3-year-old and a 4-year-old to Kindergarten in a busy urban district in Germany I can well understand this - however much you watch them, they can easily dash off and do something dangerous. With another child in tow, it's difficult to run off after them. One of my charges nearly ran under a bus - scared me stiff. A harness would have been useful - so, if the child is cool with being transported in a sling, that's one less worry for the mother.

I wouldn't recommend it to anyone though - the damage to your back must be awful.

petunia Thu 13-Sep-18 11:42:20

i did wonder about both children having some sort of issue meaning thier mobility was restricted. but it seemed so much of a coincidence that two children, in the same class in reception both needed a sling.never seen it before. just wondered if it was a growing trend

grannyactivist Thu 13-Sep-18 11:46:11

I'll admit I was shocked when I read the OP and the article linked to this, but on reflection I suspect we've all carried a sleepy three or four year old very occasionally. Doing it regularly is for me a step too far and I wonder if it is maybe meeting the mother's needs more than the child's. However, no child is going to be harmed by being carried as long as they get plenty of opportunities to run around, so if mum's can cope with the back strain(!!) good luck to them.

I was the first person in my cohort to use a baby sling in 1972 (the little blue one from Mothercare, remember those?) and I got lots of derogatory comments, but I couldn't afford a pram. My daughter went from a carrycot on wheels, to a sling, to a pushchair. Using a sling was lovely, but I think I probably stopped using it by the time my baby was about nine months old. Three years later my second child had a pram (we'd gone up in the world by then) and so I only used the sling for short bus journeys with her.

I know the mums in the article say that their children can walk long distances, but I'll never forget the shock I felt when taking a class of primary school children for a walk to the sea. They were all 7 year olds and the journey from school to the sea is just over a mile, along a beautiful river meadow. We had done about a third of the walk before some of the children were asking to be carried and two were actually in tears because they had never had to walk so far.

grannyactivist Thu 13-Sep-18 11:48:20

JackyB I was actually living in Germany when I was using my baby sling and German mothers were fairly horrified by it, but then the trend where I lived was to keep children in pushchairs until they were about five years old!

seacliff Thu 13-Sep-18 11:48:27

Reading that link, the mothers all say how it improves the bonding them and their child, and helps with conversation.

It can't be good for the Mums' back, or for the childs fitness and self confidence.

A much better way would be for all phones to be put away. Talk to your child as you walk, play games, sing together, connect.