Gransnet forums

Chat

Brexit.

(27 Posts)
johncrozant23 Thu 20-Sep-18 20:48:28

Did any Brexiteers realise all the complications of leaving the EU? The time & money wasted on this pointless exercise to appease the minority of the Tory Party, whose personal interests extend beyond the EU. They have objectives outside the EU with 'offshore accounts', currently restricted by our membership! Any criticisms made, are met with 'fear mongering', without any constructive positive advantages! We are being led 'over the cliff' by a minority of 'self interested' Tory Politicians, who fear a second Referendum, in the knowledge that the Country will have come to it's senses, to the disappointment of Vladimir Putin & other interested parties in the dissolution of the EU.

Bridgeit Thu 20-Sep-18 20:52:04

I don’t think they cared, they wanted out, they got it & now they can blame the resulting chaos on whom ever they choose.?

Diana54 Thu 20-Sep-18 21:23:40

I will remind all that this mess was caused by Cameron trying to placate extremists in his own party, then running a half baked campaign to back remain.

Funny how quiet he is now.

MawBroon Thu 20-Sep-18 22:02:10

Oh goody, a new Brexit thread! hmmhmm
I’m sure we haven’t had one for a day or two.

MissAdventure Thu 20-Sep-18 22:19:09

grin Maw

Jalima1108 Thu 20-Sep-18 22:23:26

its
(sorry, but it's its)

Otherwise welcome johncrozant23

muddynails Fri 08-Feb-19 11:03:46

I thought it was down to the majority of the population that wanted Brexit. Just looked through fridge and cupboards,
most of the stuff in there is from countries other than the EU, and to be honest British veg/meat/fruit etc. tastes much better than stuff grown abroad and then brought in half ripe.
I'm sure the countries in the EU who do supply us with goods aren't going to stop not matter what the petty overpaid overstuffed beaurocrats say.
Its a big big world that need our things as much as we want theirs. Will the EU survive not having our large financial contribution? Perhaps that is why they are making things so difficult. I was born during the second world war and have only seen life go downhill fast since we joined the EU.
I know there are people who say its us oldies who voted to leave that are selfish----I say us oldies won't see the benifits of leaving but the youngsers will.

railman Fri 08-Feb-19 11:17:15

You can't whack another Brexit thread can you - especially as we're so close to the wire now.

Still waiting for someone to tell me what things we are going to trade around the world with.

And muddynails, you made some interesting comments - but what are the benefits of leaving the EU that our youngsters will see.

To date, not a single politician or social commentator has come up with anything concrete, or practical.

MaizieD Fri 08-Feb-19 11:30:41

Still waiting for someone to tell me what things we are going to trade around the world with.

There's always our arms industry, railman. They seem to do pretty well. Doesn't it make you thrill with pride that wherever there is a war, or a savage repression of a section of a country's population our British made armaments are in there playing a key role?

Lily65 Fri 08-Feb-19 11:32:38

It is massively depressing. I can't cope with it anymore.

Beammeupscottie Fri 08-Feb-19 11:38:39

The one beam of sunshine that may come from Brexit is that the two main political parties will splinter and people will start to think bit more before they vote along tribal lines.
Remember; every day some Leave voters die of old age!

EllanVannin Fri 08-Feb-19 12:03:56

Why did people want to leave ? I've asked this question umpteen times but never received an answer-----well not a straight one !

Lily65 Fri 08-Feb-19 12:11:53

1. to " show " Cameron ( not sure what)

2. Because Farage told them to

3. Because they like the idea of sovereignty ( what ever that is)
4. Because of straight bananas, baa baa white sheep, they come here and take our jobs.

EllanVannin Fri 08-Feb-19 12:22:01

I don't buy that Lily65, I'm sorry. Unless of course you were joking ?

MaizieD Fri 08-Feb-19 12:23:10

5) Take back control of our borders
6) EU army conscription
7) Federal state of Europe and we'll all have to speak German
8) Do our own trade deals
9) Turkey is just about to join the EU and then we'll have 3 million of them here before you can say 'knife'

MaizieD Fri 08-Feb-19 12:24:22

Lily's no.1 is definitely correct, EV

Lily65 Fri 08-Feb-19 12:31:19

Ah yes " take back control", sounds so very appealing doesn't it?

Weren't we supposed to be flooded and swamped by Romanians? I think a few tried it and went back.

Day6 Fri 08-Feb-19 12:33:16

Was thinking the same Maw grin The opening post tells us a Remainer wants to go over old ground ( yet again....how many more Leaver bashing threads do they want?) and ask "why".

At this stage in the game I suggest he/she won't have far to look online to find lots of Remainer knashing of teeth posts, angst, and predictions of Armageddon come the day when we wave bye bye to Brussels.

You'll find Remainer comradeship here OP, but most Leavers will let you get on with it. We are popping in to our special place in Hell measuring up for curtains and looking at paint colour charts.

Have fun.

Alima Fri 08-Feb-19 12:39:11

Thank you Jalima. Had its and it’s weighed off until recently but have to really think now. Could you help with past and passed when you have time, many thanks.
Great having a spare thread isn’t it!

MaizieD Fri 08-Feb-19 12:46:52

'Past' is any time that's already happened , it's in the past. It's a noun.

'Passed' is the past participle of the verb 'to pass', 'I passed by his house yesterday'

You're welcome

10) Being told what to do by unelected bureaucrats
11) Being told what to do by the US president and Japanese car makers
12) UK never had any say in EU decisions

Seen nearly all on here over the past 3 years. Some from the scoffers on this thread.

suzied Fri 08-Feb-19 12:57:06

To get £350 m per week for NHS
To get rid of foreigners even the non EU ones
To have wasteful lightbulbs and vacuum cleaners
To get rid of human rights, even the British ones
To harm the EU as much as ourselves
Cut off nose to spite face
We never voted in EU elections so pretended they weren't democratic

Mapleleaf Fri 08-Feb-19 13:01:19

Beammeupscottie, not all who voted leave were oldies and not all oldies voted leave!! I would also add, that a heck of a lot of people didn’t bother to vote at all!

Beammeupscottie Fri 08-Feb-19 13:13:18

The leavers know they are in the wrong but are flexing the muscle of "we won the vote". What was it? 11 million voted out of a population of nearly 70 million. Most people now do not want to leave so it is fair that we do just because the old Tory zealots hate Europe?

railman Fri 08-Feb-19 13:20:05

Ah yes, the good old arms industry MaizieD - where would our economy be without it. grin

I must admit I'd forgotten about the world's insatiable demand for JCBs as well. wink

At least we still have our nuclear deterrent sad - that's at least got to put paid to any potential terrorist incursions wink

railman Fri 08-Feb-19 13:24:41

I wish the media and allied commentators would stop referring to the 2nd vote referendum.

We had the 2nd vote on membership in 2016, any further referendums (or is it referenda?) - would actually be the 3rd.

At least before the 1st vote in 1970s we had a plan before we had the referendum - this time the Tory party is just playing fast and loose with peoples' lives and livelihoods.

What a good job 'Failing Grayling' managed to sign that contract with the ferry company with no ferries! I wonder if they'll be registered in Liberia ? wink