Gransnet forums

Chat

Queen of the world

(63 Posts)
Newquay Wed 26-Sep-18 02:23:24

Just watching the prog. I really find it quite distasteful-yes I know I have an off switch! The royal family is so cynical. They keep themselves to themselves when it suits. Now, when folks are openly talking about havingbhad enough of this spoiled family this film is put out. They really do have a nerve. . . and a very good PR team!

Situpstraight1 Wed 26-Sep-18 03:35:22

I enjoyed it, it was mostly about the Commonwealth and had some unseen footage which I found interesting.

I am assuming you won’t be watching Part 2?

DIL17 Wed 26-Sep-18 06:05:52

Newquay toundonrelaise it was filmed over the past year? So talks, production etc would have started nearly two years ago before the recent crap about not having them and so on.

PamelaJ1 Wed 26-Sep-18 07:12:09

Ok DIL so what does toundonrelaise mean?

Elegran Wed 26-Sep-18 08:14:30

I don't imagine that the film was commissioned by the Royal Family. They will have agreed to do it (as the subject of any documentary would have to agree before it can be done) but then over the last two years they would have put up with cameramen trailing around after them and recording their every move. I have not watched it, but it could be interesting about the Commonwealth, which, by the way, is not just post-colonial, but contains countries which ASKED to join the organisation.

aggie Wed 26-Sep-18 08:19:04

I was surprised that Megans dress was " the most famous wedding dress in the world " ? I switched off at that point as it was a bit daft

aggie Wed 26-Sep-18 08:20:09

ps
I usually enjoy programs about Queen Elizabeth

Bellanonna Wed 26-Sep-18 08:20:40

I enjoyed it and found it interesting

merlotgran Wed 26-Sep-18 09:06:40

I will watch the repeat on Sunday afternoon as it clashed with the interesting but gory documentary about Spanish 'flu'.

lemongrove Wed 26-Sep-18 09:10:09

I must watch this now!
You either find films on the Royals fascinating or watch with horrible fascination.

TwiceAsNice Wed 26-Sep-18 09:10:26

I haven't seen it yet but have recorded it . I usually like such programmes as easy interesting viewing. I enjoyed the one about Princess Margaret although she was very different from The Queen.

Anniebach Wed 26-Sep-18 09:10:30

I thought it interesting, the Commonwealth is important

KatyK Wed 26-Sep-18 09:38:32

I found it quite fascinating. I'm not a royalist, but it was interesting.

gangy5 Wed 26-Sep-18 10:21:53

The program was constructed around Megan's wedding dress and was made up of various clips- making for a very disjointed selection. Bit rubbishy I thought.

DIL17 Wed 26-Sep-18 10:55:18

PamelaJ1 Haha, silly small phone screen.it was meant to say "you do realise"

mabon1 Wed 26-Sep-18 11:54:46

The Duke of York is put out because the BBC do not intend covering the wedding of his daughter Eugenie. She is a minor royal, Princess Ann's daughter Zara was not given that treatment what's the difference?

Elegran Wed 26-Sep-18 12:13:50

The difference is the Duke of York. He has an over-developed sense of entitlement.

DIL17 Wed 26-Sep-18 12:20:12

@mabonal Zara doesn't hold a royal title or any formal royal standing. She is technically a private common person ( I know that doesn't sound nice but that's how it is). Eugenie of the other hand has a royal title and is just as important as Harry.

Will's wedding was huge as a future King, Harry and Eugenie are both the same, just more of the queen's grandchildren.

goldengirl Wed 26-Sep-18 12:23:40

I fell asleep watching it!

callgirl1 Wed 26-Sep-18 16:41:28

I enjoyed it, nice seeing the coloured film of the Coronation, I saw it in black and white on my auntie`s 9" TV screen. The only annoying bits were when Meghan kept fiddling with her hair, she doesn`t need to, she`s a very lovely looking girl.

Eilyann70 Wed 26-Sep-18 16:56:44

DIL17 I don't think you can say that Eugenie and Harry are the same - he carries out Royal duties and she does none. Also he's a lot higher up in the line of succesion and when he and Meghan have children Eugenie and Beatrice will be even further down the line.

Anniebach Wed 26-Sep-18 17:03:48

Harry is 6th in line, Eugenie is 9th in line

MiniMoon Wed 26-Sep-18 17:32:52

I watched it, and I'm not ashamed to admit that I am a royalist. I thought all the embroidery around the Duchess of Sussex's veil was beautiful. The Queen is a remarkable woman too. Plus it was lovely to see the inside of Buckingham Palace. It brought back memories of our summer holidays, as we visited it before coming home.

quizqueen Thu 27-Sep-18 00:34:43

I think there are certain royals who are not very popular with the general public and many more who no one is interested in. Eugenie falls into one of those categories but Prince Andrew fails to understand that. It will be embarrassing for both of them if hardly anyone turns up to watch her procession around Windsor after her wedding and is an unnecessary expense for the tax payer. If anything, people may be there just to try and catch a glimpse of the guests. Princess Anne had the right idea, not accepting a title for her children and encouraging them to live independently.

annep Thu 27-Sep-18 01:33:24

I'm not a royalist and they all have an over developed sense of entitlement. However I love reading books on the history of England Great Britain and watching programmes and I do intend to watch this one. I'm sure it will be interesting. Although like OP I think its a PR exercise regardless of when it was filmed..