Gransnet forums

Chat

NEVER EVER AGAIN!

(55 Posts)
phoenix Sun 09-Dec-18 01:12:31

Hello all, good wishes, and apologies for the shouty capitals in the title, especially as I have moaned about them before. tchblush

I hereby swear that I will NOT take on the responsibility for organising the work Christmas "do" next year, having done it for the third time.

First, there is the hassle of having to chase people to find out of they are actually coming. I would like to point out that the meals are paid for by the company.

I start by putting a large printed notice in a prominent position, in the kichen, a place where you think most people would see it.

It states the date, location and politely asks those who would like to come to put their name and any special dietary requirements (vegetarian,vegan, gluten intolerant, allergic to days of the week with an "e" in them etc. ok, so I may have made that last bit up.)

So despite this having been in place for over 2 weeks, I still have to go round asking people. "Oh, I didn't see it (it's in front size 36, and on the front of the fridge) I'll need to check my diary/ask my wife/partner/concubine"

Eventually I find out how many will be in the party and contact the restaurant to confirm numbers.

Then I contact them again to change the number, because someone has realised that the date doesn't after all clash with the Christmas do for their choir/darts team/folk music club/navel gazing society.

After a "final" check, I contact the restaurant again as someone has just remembered that the date in question is the graduation ceremony for their pole dancing course (ok, I might have made that up)

So, into the home straight, all looking good. I get a quote from a local taxi company, negotiating a good rate, based on 4 people to a car. Another notice goes on the fridge, followed by another round purchasing up for numbers.

Transpires that everyone has sorted out car shares, leaving muggins and one other person as the only ones needing to pay for a cab!

Then, at almost last knockings, numbers change again because "It looks like the dog might have a hernia" And no, I am NOT making that up!

So, sod it, next year they can have a packet of crisps and a bottle of pop in the art room and bloody well lump it!

phoenix Sun 09-Dec-18 01:14:35

Oh damn predictive text, and a plea for an edit facility!

Tea and cake Sun 09-Dec-18 07:52:15

Ha ha, brings it all back ! Emailing asking who is coming, asking for menu choices, chasing up deposits, etc etc...final email stating if people not paid by x date will presume they're not coming...never mind all the hassle of finding a reasonable venue. Did it for 3 years. Funnily enough when I stopped doing it nobody took over and there was no Christmas meal that year!

MawBroon Sun 09-Dec-18 07:57:50

When I first began organising it I didn’t realise pubs/restaurants needed about 6 months notice so we ended up booking for the third week in January which has a lot to commend it - everybody is free, it’s near as dammit to pay day, you don’t get ripped off for yet another Christmas-type meal and as there is nothing else going on, you can actually a) get a babysitter (relevant in those days) and b) enjoy gong out.
That was nearly 30 years ago and it became a tradition.

Auntieflo Sun 09-Dec-18 07:58:57

Phoenix love it, but you know you will do it again
Don't you?

NanKate Sun 09-Dec-18 08:12:48

I’m with you Phoenix sod the lot of them. ?

I’m driving 4 people to a Christmas Coffee morning on Tuesday, organising where and when I am collecting everyone individually, plus who is doing what and making what, plus preparing a fun quiz I’m quite worn out. So I admire you Phoenix for your organisational skills and stamina.

Luckygirl Sun 09-Dec-18 08:31:11

Ah yes - herding cats! The bug bear for me is trying to accept or reject requests for gigs from my little choir. This requires that I know who is available on that particular date, which voice part they are (no good going with 5 basses and no sopranos!) etc........

Getting answers is like pulling teeth.

You have all my sympathy phoenix - but I too bet you will do it next year!

jusnoneed Sun 09-Dec-18 08:33:30

You have my sympathy. I helped organise members Christmas parties at a local Community club, one for children and another for OAP's. Food had to be bought and prep'd for both, tables laid for OAP do as they were served (children had buffet style) their meals. I used to send out invites, including a yes/no attending slip, to members in early Nov in an attempt to get replies.... every year someone would turn up having not replied. Many others were asked multiple times when they were in the club. We always had a couple spare meals just in case.

sodapop Sun 09-Dec-18 08:57:51

You have my sympathy Phoenix I organise the Christmas meal as well, its stressful isn't it. Organise the restaurant and menu, check on vegan, vegetarian and gluten free options
( this is harder in France ). Keep prompting people then there is always the last minute person when you have given the restaurant final numbers.
We should have a separate 'do' for stressed organisers tchsmile

janeainsworth Sun 09-Dec-18 09:08:31

Try organising a netball team shockgrin

EllanVannin Sun 09-Dec-18 09:26:48

I wouldn't do it. It all starts off okay when a " do " is mentioned but comes the time it doesn't seem like a good idea afterall as it gets nearer .

The easiest answer is " no " and be done with. These times were great when you were younger but as you get older you can't be bothered but you should be honest about it.

Personally I can't be doing with large gatherings now and would give an immediate refusal rather than dither and throw arrangements into chaos causing the organiser a headache.

Chewbacca Sun 09-Dec-18 10:08:46

Sounds like my place of work Phoenix! This year, they've arranged for the Christmas do to be held in London. Our office is based in N W England. So our office equivalent of you has been running around like a headless chicken since September, trying to sort out who's going, who needs train tickets booking, who needs overnight accommodation, who's taking a partner, dietary requirements etc. I feel genuinely sorry for the person relegate to organising it.
I never attend, even when the event is hosted locally, but this year I'm more relieved than ever that I'm not going! grin

Nonnie Sun 09-Dec-18 10:21:42

And then when they get to the restaurant, having pre-ordered their food and agree the seating plan..................... Oh yes, been there. Even worse if you organise an international conference and they don't turn up for their flights!

KatyK Sun 09-Dec-18 10:21:45

I occasionally meet up with ex colleagues. One of them will phone me and say 'are we meeting up soon?'
In other words, 'will you arrange the date, venue, etc?' Drives me mad.

Nanny123 Sun 09-Dec-18 11:02:07

I feel for you. I used to organise the Christmas party and like you had to chase people up - our Practice paid for staff and partners to come, trying to get people to accept was bad enough but trying to get their choice of menu was painful. Then you always had the odd member of staff complaining for the sake of complaining “I’m doing something else on that night can you change the date”, “I haven’t got a partner so can I bring my 8 year old son”, Think its awful that we have have to pay for our own drinks” (despite wine being provided on the table) and it went on and on.

mabon1 Sun 09-Dec-18 11:02:51

Must you have this do? learn to say "no" it's easy after the first couple of timed.

Shortlegs Sun 09-Dec-18 11:17:38

Presumably you volunteered to do this? A friend of mine once said that a volunteer was somebody who didn't understand the question.

David1968 Sun 09-Dec-18 11:21:58

Phoenix, perhaps in January you should make it clear that you're never doing this again. And repeat this on a monthly basis, throughout the year.

Elegran Sun 09-Dec-18 11:28:09

grin Tell me about it!! There must be some kind of masochism involved.

Blinko Sun 09-Dec-18 11:42:16

...every year someone would turn up having not replied.

That was us one year. We had paid for so many Christmas lunches with our various activity groups and when we appeared at the last one all dressed up, we found we weren't actually on the list. Fortunately two other people had pulled out at the last minute so we were able to slot into their places.

Seamless, eh!

sue01 Sun 09-Dec-18 11:48:28

I used to organise Special Events, and we would always work on the basis that between 15% won't turn up on the day.

These are people who have said they will come, have booked - and in many cases paid.

Even at Village Events, the percentage is similar.

inishowen Sun 09-Dec-18 11:53:26

Reminds me of the guests at my son's wedding. One friend of ours wouldn't confirm whether he was coming or not. The day before he said he AND his estranged wife were coming. Well on the day she didn't turn up. My son was juggling where this person could sit, and my husband was insisting he had to sit next to us, but we were on the top table. Husband didn't know about the politics of where people sit!

Doodle Sun 09-Dec-18 11:56:53

Oh yes, been there done it. I love the ones who decide to go and then complain about the food, the decor, the wine, who they are sitting with, the music etc etc. Very much a sod it, never again job.??

Noname Sun 09-Dec-18 12:23:45

And when the evening finally arrives and everyone seated, there’s always the few who don’t remember at all what they or-ordered from the menu so out from your handbag you pull the spreadsheet you’ve had to print off and bring!!

Grampie Sun 09-Dec-18 12:27:37

Your organizational skills are greatly admired much more than your complaining .

At the moment.