Gransnet forums

Chat

More clutter

(87 Posts)
MissAdventure Tue 15-Jan-19 22:14:39

There are a lot of threads about the build up of clutter which needs to be sorted out and found a home, but what about the kind that you actively like?

Is your home full of candles, lamps, ornaments, and other things?

I've just been looking around, and mine is (too) full of bits and bobs.

Bridgeit Tue 15-Jan-19 22:19:06

I like to think it’s ‘neat’ clutter?

MissAdventure Tue 15-Jan-19 22:20:36

That's it. Neat clutter.
I've been neatening mine up a bit, but its ridiculous when I look at it objectively.

annsixty Tue 15-Jan-19 22:39:13

I think it was William Morris who said we should only surround ourselves with things that are beautiful or functional.
Did he never have C or Gc who gave him "tat" and homemade things he could never get rid of?
I certainly do, I have souvenirs from holidays, items made ar school etc, that are proudly on display, I could never get rid of them,
That is why my house is full of clutter.

Anja Tue 15-Jan-19 22:43:20

I’m with William Morris. Pity about DH he’s neither!

Nannylovesshopping Tue 15-Jan-19 22:45:24

I just have stuff, books everywhere, family photos, pretty bits and bobs, stones and pebbles and coloured glass bottles, yes candles feature largely, and rather a lot of fairy lights, I love it all, clutter to others but treasures to me?

MissAdventure Tue 15-Jan-19 22:49:47

Me too.
Candles (6)
Lamps (3)
Lamps which use candles (3)
Dangly things (4)
Lamps with fairy lights (1.
. must get some more!)

dragonfly46 Tue 15-Jan-19 22:49:48

We have hundreds of books. I cannot throw a book away. We also seem to have acquired our DS’s clutter, outgrown DGD’s toys etc as they are between houses at the moment. I move it around a bit but it never looks tidy. At least our sitting room and kitchen are free from clutter.

MissAdventure Tue 15-Jan-19 22:54:12

And in the dining part of my sitting room:
Another 4 lamps which use candles... blush

Nannylovesshopping Tue 15-Jan-19 22:56:34

All sounds lovely, lovely Miss A?

MissAdventure Tue 15-Jan-19 22:59:28

Don't encourage me, please! I may get rid of a couple of dangly things..
Incense holders (3)
Plants (6)

callgirl1 Tue 15-Jan-19 23:12:51

I have lots of ornaments, one of my daughters calls them clutter, but seeing as they`re in my display unit, I don`t agree with her, so they`re all staying.

Eekey Wed 16-Jan-19 00:02:24

If you like your stuff just dust x

Grammaretto Wed 16-Jan-19 06:41:18

Sounds welcoming and pretty MissA so very much ticks Morris' criteria.
What do you do about old coats and jackets? If taken to charity no-one would want them but they are in the porch for energencies.
Another rapid breeder are useful shopping bags. Since the demise of plastic is it acceptable to have 10 20 hessian bags?

Alima Wed 16-Jan-19 07:25:47

Never been overly cluttered and latterly paring down even more. Making a collage of loads of photos in one frame instead of individual frames all over the place. Do find a cupboard under the stairs comes in handy though. Just bung things in there out of the way. (The extra hessian bags would be useful in moving stuff from one place to another. Problem solved.)

Coconut Wed 16-Jan-19 09:43:05

Less is more to me ! Minimalistic, clutter free, open spaces. Think I am traumatised as my Mum is a total hoarder !

Nannytopsy Wed 16-Jan-19 09:55:24

Unless your cupboard under the stairs is filling up with the stuff you are buying pre Brexit Alima grin

gillyg Wed 16-Jan-19 10:15:54

I absolutely love going into other people's 'cluttered' homes. There is so much to look at and be interested in and admire, sometimes perhaps to think oh no, not for me, but to me it says so much about the person. We can't all have minimalistic homes, it would be so BORING!

Kim19 Wed 16-Jan-19 10:21:26

I have a very minimalist home gg and I certainly don't find it all boring and nor do my friends who visit regularly. It is certainly easier to dust (dust?) and the feel good factor is in abundance.

25Avalon Wed 16-Jan-19 10:25:24

Provided you are happy with it then that is surely all that matters? If you have a dh like me who has filled practically every single room with hoardings and clutter that it is driving you mad then that is another thing.

seadragon Wed 16-Jan-19 10:28:59

I'm trying to declutter yet again and plan to try a suggestion I saw on a previous Gransnet post: to photograph those items you love for sentimental reasons but don't use....as I write I find myself less convinced, but will give it ago. I think my hoarding is rooted in childhood when we moved around a lot with my RN dad so possessions were kept to a strict minimum.

EllanVannin Wed 16-Jan-19 10:32:27

Oh goodness. I feel so sorry for my poor family when I'm no longer here !
3 display cabinets filled to the gunnels with a huge assortment of " delicacies ". 1 cabinet in my bedroom houses old Meissen and Venetian drinking glasses, along with Dresden figurines.
Other 2 cabinets in the living room choc-a-bloc with " ancient artifacts " and scattered around the place are figurines, birds photographs of my granny and great granny family and great grandchildren.

Get the picture ? No clutter though, ahem ! Gillyg you'd be welcome any time.

inishowen Wed 16-Jan-19 10:38:43

I love to declutter! Yesterday I was in the garage and decided many of the pots for indoor plants could go. Many were gifts at various Christmasses and were gold or red. Not my colour scheme at all. I hate ornaments, so does my husband. I love plants and have a couple of candles on show. Books go straight to the charity shop after they're read. Paper is our problem. It seems to end up everywhere.

Telly Wed 16-Jan-19 10:45:45

I have a collection in a display cabinet and a few vases here an there. However the cupboards upstairs have a lot of things that I don't use so I am going through them. I took a lovely patchwork coverlet to the charity shop on Monday it was too big (I guessed the size blush) and I always imagined that spiders would have an easy up! Someone will have a bargain!!

luluaugust Wed 16-Jan-19 10:49:06

Far to many bits and pieces everywhere reflecting the fact that I used to potter round junk and antique emporiums, now I find them hard to part with. Also three generations of books because I never get round to sorting them out. Yes you can just about move in my house.