Gransnet forums

Chat

Thread Deletions

(74 Posts)
Rufus2 Tue 29-Jan-19 13:20:18

As Barry Humphries says " if you have to explain a joke or satire you might as well give up".
Individual deletions have been getting more frequent as far as I can remember, which is fair enough if even one member feels offended (without malice aforethought). Today a whole thread, (about 10) was given the flick, even though it contained a variety of opinions. Followed up with HQ; told OP was a "mischief maker!"
Cripes! I could be one those without even trying. grin
Now I'm paranoid and afraid to post even on Mick's thread in case my weather reports of brilliant sunshine upset someone. Best to copy that little sparrow! grin

merlotgran Tue 29-Jan-19 13:24:14

Don't worry, Rufus. Most of us have been there.

Nowhere near as many deleted threads as in the early days of Gransnet. The mods had their work cut out clearing bodies from the battlefield. grin

Luckygirl Tue 29-Jan-19 13:28:54

I had a post deleted the other day - no idea why! Hey-ho!

Rufus2 Tue 29-Jan-19 13:50:48

I had a post deleted the other day - no idea why!
Luckygirl; but you should ask HQ.! I always do in order to avoid making similar errors. They initially hide behind that "Guidelines" stuff, but I can never judge which one applies. Nevertheless, they usually come back with a coherent reply. Give it a go! wink

jenpax Tue 29-Jan-19 14:09:14

I always miss the deleted threads! Either that or my poor memory strikes again and I forget what was there before ??‍♀️

Anja Tue 29-Jan-19 14:22:00

I’ve not had a post deleted for ages.........must try harder!

CariGransnet (GNHQ) Tue 29-Jan-19 14:34:56

Just to say we really don't like deleting whole threads, especially when people have invested time and energy in responding to the OP. However, if it becomes clear that the OP has been, to nick a phrase from further up, 'mischief making' it sometimes makes sense to pull it as we don't want others to waste their time on something that's not genuine.

Buffybee Tue 29-Jan-19 14:35:25

Can I just say Rufus that I am indeed VERY offended with your reports of brilliant sunshine, every day in Oz??????? ????
As we are disappearing under a couple of inches of snow!?
OoRoo

trisher Tue 29-Jan-19 15:30:26

Ooh I've been the cause of 2 thread deletations but I can't say anything or this one will go too, as it becomes a thread about a thread.

Day6 Tue 29-Jan-19 15:45:49

I had a good old chuckle at a thread late last night. It had gone on for many pages and it may have been a wind up but people had answered in all sorts of ways and by and large the advice was sound. The situation could well have happened and I replied.

This afternoon it's been deleted. A bit late in the day HQ, if you know for certain it was 'mischief making'? The scenario was explained early on in the thread but it ran, and ran, all the same.

I have no idea how HQ knew it was a mischief making thread, if indeed that was the reason it was pulled. There was no malice in reply as far as I could see....lots of natural scepticism, but no nastiness.

I replied that there is no fool like an old fool, or something along those lines and many of us learn those lessons at our time of life.

Hey ho. confused I woke my snoring OH up for nothing last night with my laughter.

Nonnie Tue 29-Jan-19 15:58:10

Well Rufust this is a 'thread about a thread' so should have been deleted grin.

I once started a thread about things in general about GN but people referred to specific things on another thread and it was deleted as a 'thread about a thread'. It certainly didn't start out that way!

I think HQ's discretion depends on whether they have had cake or not. [cake]

trisher Tue 29-Jan-19 16:21:29

Cake was definitely in short supply yesterday then Nonnie.

Jalima1108 Tue 29-Jan-19 16:32:25

We're all aware that you're a very naughty mischiefmaker Rufus - we're wise to you now wink

DH tells me that it's relatively chilly now in Melbourne - down to 28C! Poor you.

Jalima1108 Tue 29-Jan-19 16:37:22

Rufus is probably asleep - will this thread be deleted before he wakes up - to rain!

Nonnie Tue 29-Jan-19 16:55:05

No Jalima they have cake now. grin

BlueBelle Tue 29-Jan-19 18:33:38

Well been out for an afternoon and missed the fun
May I ask was it the thread by the married woman who had the old boyfriend who beat her up I thought that was a big old wind up, sorry to her if it’s not that one
And what about Benben who wanted to know how to get over a week long rejection ???

Anniebach Tue 29-Jan-19 18:38:11

Oops, misread ‘weak long rejection ‘ for ‘weak long erection ‘

phoenix Tue 29-Jan-19 18:46:54

Annie shock Still, could have been worse, you might have misread it as "WEEK long erection", which would surely have been a hindrance to its owner.

sodapop Tue 29-Jan-19 18:47:29

Or even week long erection anniebachgrin

Anniebach Tue 29-Jan-19 18:49:40

I misspelt blush

Buffybee Tue 29-Jan-19 18:50:28

Honestly! You lot! ?☺?☺?

Day6 Tue 29-Jan-19 18:51:21

Annie!!!! grin grin grin

Mind you, the week long one would be a real worry. grin

GrannyGravy13 Tue 29-Jan-19 18:53:36

Those last few posts gave made me giggle ???

Jalima1108 Tue 29-Jan-19 18:54:56

You naughty lot - careful, or this thread will be deleted before Rufus wakes up and sees it! grin

Jalima1108 Tue 29-Jan-19 18:56:07

Actually, perhaps that could be wise as, at his age, we wouldn't want him having a funny turn (or any of us for that matter)!

He is, however, very young in spirit grin