Gransnet forums

Chat

Where do you keep yours?

(77 Posts)
gmelon Wed 30-Jan-19 12:51:58

The spare key to your car.
I keep mine on me in my trouser pocket in case I lose my keys while I am out.
Silly because I keep my main keys ... in my trouser pocket.
Unless I lose my trousers I should be okay.

Charleygirl5 Wed 30-Jan-19 13:12:03

In a drawer indoors but always in the same place because with my memory heaven knows if it would ever turn up again if I wanted it.

tanith Wed 30-Jan-19 13:21:26

Same as Charleygirl .

Maggiemaybe Wed 30-Jan-19 13:26:54

At the bottom of a blanket box upstairs.

MiniMoon Wed 30-Jan-19 13:32:59

In a pretty wine glass in my kitchen cupboard. I know exactly where to find it.

kittylester Wed 30-Jan-19 13:51:40

On Dh's keyring. Our cars are sort of interchangeable so we both have both keys.

Before we had this arrangement, DH was always taking both lots to work with him. I got so fed up of this that I sent a taxi to collect them, making him pay. That larned him!

shysal Wed 30-Jan-19 13:52:06

In a drawer. I have never had to use it because of losing my main one, but it has a label attached with my name and reg number as I use it when leaving my car for service. They always have to search when I pick the car up!

KatyK Wed 30-Jan-19 14:05:01

I haven't got a car smile

paddyann Wed 30-Jan-19 14:13:38

We have a framed print in our hallway that hides a key store.It has lots of little hooks inside it and thats where all our spares live,spares for AC's houses too and for MIL's.It makes life much simpler if you know exactly where things are.
Wish there was one for spare specs! We had to go buy new specs last week (£360) when OH lost his brand new ones bought at Christmas.We had checked everywhere car,van,studio, garage every room in the house and in my sons house as he's been doing DIY there.Two days later the specs turned up AND the spare specs .Optician wont accept a cancellation and thay've been paid in full . Lets just hope his prescription doesn't change when his test is due in May .

Day6 Wed 30-Jan-19 14:18:35

Apparently we are advised not to leave car or house keys on the hall table. Burglar first port of call. OH used to.

We now secrete spare car keys (ooooh...isn't 'secrete' is a horrible word? ) behind a pile of books in a bookcase just off the hall.

dragonfly46 Wed 30-Jan-19 14:18:42

We keep ours in special pouches so that thieves cannot connect to them and steal the cars.

M0nica Wed 30-Jan-19 14:30:25

Our spare car keys hang on a keyboard in a kitchen cupboard. We do not own the kind of cars that thieves want to steal.

We work on the basis that when the potential thieves see the age and decrepitude of the cars in our drive way,, they will decide the house will not contain anything worth stealing anyway.

Jalima1108 Wed 30-Jan-19 14:32:07

We do not own the kind of cars that thieves want to steal.
don't be so sure M0nica, mine was jemmied and hotwired once but the thieves were disturbed. It was a very old car but sturdy and apparently would have been required for a 'ram raid' according to the police.

NanKate Wed 30-Jan-19 14:42:09

DH who is megaly conscious of security insists that our keys are taken upstairs to the bedroom every night and put in a place where thieves can’t use an ingenious device that links up with our keys and opens the door to our cars. I’m not joking.

I wouldn’t dare say where are any other valuables are kept as he would say ‘the thieves may be able to find where you live through GN’.

Our DS says to me ‘you and dad live in bl**dy Fort Knox’. He’s right 🙄

TerriBull Wed 30-Jan-19 14:43:03

I chuck my everyday car key on the kitchen table whenever I come in, I think my husband has the spares for both our cars and the spare for one of our sons, somewhere, I hope ! At least that's what he tells me.

shandi6570 Wed 30-Jan-19 14:46:02

In our underfloor safe, but it's a real pita if we need it. My OH is a real worry guts over safety and security!

Jalima1108 Wed 30-Jan-19 14:47:40

I have no idea (what spare key?)
must go and check

shandi6570 Wed 30-Jan-19 14:49:12

NanKate I sympathise, my OH is the same. Drives me insane sometimes.

Day6 Wed 30-Jan-19 15:00:16

in special pouches so that thieves cannot connect to them

Sounds like a good idea dragonfly given many modern cars are keyless (have only a fob) and are press button to start. once opened, they can be driven off if connected.

Can you buy these pouches online? I'll have a look....

Greyduster Wed 30-Jan-19 15:25:17

In a crystal rose bowl on my dressing table, underneath DH’s FC season ticket and a pile of his other dross!

Auntieflo Wed 30-Jan-19 15:37:25

Ours are like MOnica’s, keys to back door , garage door, shed etc, all hanging up. I don’t think thieves would want our car either, although she is priceless to us. 🙂
Our AC had their car keys stolen, by being ‘fished’ through the front door, years ago now.
All house locks had to be changed, as they were also on the ring.

ninathenana Wed 30-Jan-19 15:46:45

On a key rack in the understairs cupboar.
DH and I always take our bunches of keys upstairs at night. My car key is on my bunch with house keys etc.

kittylester Wed 30-Jan-19 15:48:44

kate a friend used to take her handbag, with all keys in, upstairs every night. About midnight she woke up to find a man in her room just about to make off with her bag.

Luckily, She slipped in headmistress mode and told him to jolly well put it back and go away. He did!

DH once shut himself out of the house and poked a cane through the letter box, into the bowl on the chest in the hall that we all used to drop keys into, snared the keys and pulled them through the letterbox. We put them in a drawer now.

Coolgran65 Wed 30-Jan-19 16:04:42

In my jewellery box inside my wardrobe. DH's spare key is there also.

Anja Wed 30-Jan-19 16:09:20

In the microwave so it can’t be hacked!

merlotgran Wed 30-Jan-19 17:05:53

When I'm shopping I put the car keys in my jacket or jeans pocket and not in my handbag because that's where the spare car key is kept. If my handbag is snatched the car and house keys are safe.

May years ago we had a lovely little Jack Russell who went everywhere with me. I stopped to fill up with petrol and stupidly left the keys in the ignition when I went to pay. When Benji saw me returning he jumped up and down with excitement and pressed down the black locking knob on the door. shock

Fortunately, the spare key was in my handbag!

gmelon Wed 30-Jan-19 23:42:58

My OP came from wondering about the loss of keys whilst out.
How would you get in the house to retrieve the key? Especially those without a handy husband with a door key.
Alongside the car key presumably the house key would be lost too.

I keep my spare on me in case I lose the bunch. I can access my car while sorting out getting into the house.

BlueSapphire Thu 31-Jan-19 08:05:43

We had two keys; DH kept his with him and mine was always in the kitchen junk drawer.

TwiceAsNice Thu 31-Jan-19 08:16:28

I keep my own key in a hall drawer . Spare key for flat and car is at daughters in next street I have a spare house key for her too. She has the spare car key as she can drive my car I don’t drive hers it’s enormous!

Marydoll Thu 31-Jan-19 08:20:45

In my underwear drawer!

Witzend Thu 31-Jan-19 09:01:45

I've lost it! Ages ago. God knows where it went.

Just hope I'm never in the situation I once was, when my brother inadvertently went off with my car and house keys after we'd been visiting a parent. I didn't realise till he was an hour away. Thank goodness I had my bus pass, so at least able to get home, where I managed to break into my own house, find spare house and car keys, and go back to fetch car.

Humbertbear Thu 31-Jan-19 09:02:55

Us too

arosebyanyothername Thu 31-Jan-19 09:23:58

Spare keys are in bottom drawer of bedside cabinet in a box with a little car on it. DH’s idea not mine.
He takes his keys up to bed with him, I leave mine on the hall table. If someone wants to steal my car I’d rather they didn’t come upstairs to find them 😬

shysal Thu 31-Jan-19 09:51:54

What about spare house keys in case you have them with your car key. My house spares are buried in a non-obvious place outside.

Lyndie Thu 31-Jan-19 10:06:49

We had a car stolen from our drive. They came in the house whilst we were asleep and took the keys from a hook in the kitchen. We now keep the keys in a safe in a cupboard.

Buffybee Thu 31-Jan-19 10:10:03

Spare car key is kept in the Owners Manual in the drawer where all car documents are kept, if I lost keys while out I'd have to either get a taxi home to get it or ask family to bring it for me.
House key is on the same fob and I used to hide one outside but all my family have keys for my house, so someone (probably Ds) would rescue me, I'm sure.

Magrithea Thu 31-Jan-19 10:15:07

We have all the spares in a box on the chest in the hall (away from any main doors!)

kittylester Thu 31-Jan-19 10:16:32

Our house keys are hidden in the garage which has a combination lock on the door. Everyone has a key to our house but you would not believe the number of times they turn up without them.

We are quite lackadaisical about keys really apart from slinging them in a drawer in the hall. I would hate to be thinking about putting them away in special place all the time.

That strikes me as living in fear.

Nannyxthree Thu 31-Jan-19 10:18:06

Some thieves prefer older cars as they are less likely to be suspected of being stolen as an expensive one would be.

Barmeyoldbat Thu 31-Jan-19 10:22:21

In a little drawer in a small chest which is meant to store herbs. when we go away we put valuables in the loft.

JanT2004 Thu 31-Jan-19 10:22:38

I read somewhere that you should leave your keys out of sight of the door/window but easily seen once entering the house. Then an intruder would just take them and go. Awful but better than them ripping everything out searching for them or, god forbid, coming into your bedroom when you are asleep to demand them.

gulligranny Thu 31-Jan-19 10:31:44

We've got a key safe for our spare house key (neighbour has one too). Spare car keys are in a bowl behind kitchen equipment on a top shelf of a remote cupboard. During the day my keys are in a bowl on a bureau in the hall which can't be seen from the front door., but DH insists on carrying his dirty great bunch of keys around with him in his trouser pocket, says he feels safer that way.

mabon1 Thu 31-Jan-19 10:35:08

In a multiple compartment box in the garage.

nipsmum Thu 31-Jan-19 10:47:58

Spare house and car keys are in my daughter's house. That way if anything happens to me she and her husband have access to both.

Minerva Thu 31-Jan-19 10:59:21

All our spare keys are kept in a tin where I keep a bit of cash and my iPad when I am out. We never used to think our cars in any way vulnerable until my daughter had her keys taken from her pocket on the tube. She must have been followed home as her car, small, old, ordinary, was stolen that night. It was then used to ferry drugs around a nearby area until it was spotted by a neighbour but since the keys were not found it was written off by the insurance company. It would have cost the value of the car to replace the locks and deep clean to remove the stink of drugs. It cost her money she didn’t have to get another car but fortunately the thief didn’t use the keys to break into her flat. The police said drug runners go for old, nondescript cars as they are less likely to draw attention to themselves.

Kim19 Thu 31-Jan-19 11:00:29

Another one who thinks they'd have to be desperate to take my buggy! I've often thought if they look around my house they'd leave a donation.

Granny23 Thu 31-Jan-19 11:02:44

Now could everyone who has told us where their keys and valuables are, please PM me your home address. Thank You.

GrannyIris5 Thu 31-Jan-19 11:18:03

On a hook rack with all the other keys in the kitchen

coast35 Thu 31-Jan-19 11:21:38

We keep ours in a metal box attached to the inside of a cupboard door. We’ve been doing that since we heard that all thieves have to do now is press a few buttons and they are into your car. Better safe than sorry.

Aepgirl Thu 31-Jan-19 11:23:41

At night I put my purse and car keys on a bookcase in the hall - my reasoning being that if I had a break in in the night the burglar would take my car and money, and leave me alone!

Chimaera Thu 31-Jan-19 11:31:03

My husband has it on his key ring - and I have his on mine!

MawBroon Thu 31-Jan-19 11:34:23

Now could everyone who has told us where their keys and valuables are, please PM me your home address. Thank You
gringrin
But seriously .......

nannypiano Thu 31-Jan-19 11:37:35

I do the same as dragonfly and keep the spare keys and the ones I use in a protective case. My car is key less and very steal-able by gadgets thieves use to open and start the car without the key fob. The they are kept in a closed drawer away from the front door and windows.

lovebeigecardigans1955 Thu 31-Jan-19 11:40:52

My spare car keys are on a little attachment inside my handbag which is just as well as the battery needed to be replaced in the main ones last week. I was able to whip out the spare and get home. Phew!

GrannyIris5 Thu 31-Jan-19 11:47:36

Not thread related but can anyone explain how you get another member’s name in bold please. It’s baffling me lol

CarlyD7 Thu 31-Jan-19 11:51:22

Our neighbour recently had her garage door broken into (apparently these locks aren't very secure) and she'd forgotten to lock the door from there into her kitchen, so they went in, stole the car keys from where they were hanging up by the door, and stole the car. That was a reminder for all of us to check all doors at night and put keys away out of sight. (Bet it won't last ... )

essjay Thu 31-Jan-19 12:08:06

I don't have a spare key for my car. My BF keeps her spare at my house(she used to have lodgers and one "borrowed" the car using the spare)

MawBroon Thu 31-Jan-19 12:12:09

GrannyIris
Type an asterisk * then the name without a space then another asterisk, again, without a space first.

sarahellenwhitney Thu 31-Jan-19 12:50:58

There are mini key safe boxes with a combination lock that can be fitted anywhere on the outside of your property
Ideal unless you forget the codehmm.

Farmor15 Thu 31-Jan-19 13:02:05

GrannyIris - there’s a list of symbols you can type to get bold, underline etc below message box, under Emphasis It’s important to type the symbol immediately before and after word so it comes out correctly but you can check by previewing message.

wellwalked Thu 31-Jan-19 13:15:39

I don't have a car shock and I can't possibly tell you whereabouts in the garden the spare house key is buried...perhaps my burglar on reading this will dig it over for me smile

Lilylilo Thu 31-Jan-19 14:19:17

Errrm......not sure! but I can't think anyone would want to steal our ancient cars! Usually left on the drive unlocked anyway!!!!

breeze Thu 31-Jan-19 15:03:21

Whole families' car keys on a hook in the hall. And the dog car keys (they can't drive! Just car that has large crate and lots of mud in it) are in a pot in the laundry room as we go out the back door with them.

We've never worried as our cars are behind 7ft walls with electric gates and one of our dogs is an excellent guard dog. I was interested to read that people leave the keys close to the door on purpose as burglars may take them and leave without going around the property to search for them. Never thought of that concept before. You're always told to hide them but it's an interesting thought. I suppose if they're on view though, it could mean a break in happens that wouldn't have otherwise. Two points of view I guess.

melp1 Thu 31-Jan-19 15:09:05

spare sets for both cars in the safe

HannahLoisLuke Thu 31-Jan-19 15:42:57

Used to keep it in drawer at home until recently when I took my car for MOT and the mechanics couldn't get my car started to get it into the workshop. The dashboard said "key not detected"
I tried, they tried, no good. Rang the main dealer who's solution was to send a low loader to take it back to their workshop at huge cost!
Then one if the mechanics said it could be the battery in the key, which I hadn't changed in ten years! We didn't think that was the problem though as the key had opened the car.
In the end I phoned my daughter, asked her to drive to my house, get in with her spare key and bring my other car key, which she did.
Problem solved.
Next day I went to main dealer and had the battery replaced in the dead key and now keep it in my handbag. Thinking about it though, I should just keep a spare battery in my bag and leave the key at home just in case I ever get my bag stolen.

sarahanew Thu 31-Jan-19 16:07:07

With 'other important stuff', ie my passport, birth certificate, cheque book, euros. I only have one place to remember then!

muffinthemoo Thu 31-Jan-19 16:32:02

Good question.

DH took the spare key of my car the day we got it, as I "couldn't be trusted not to lose it"

Guess what has never been seen again....!!

mokryna Thu 31-Jan-19 16:32:58

Many years ago there was a magnet car key gadget to put under the car, which we used without any problems. We forgot about it completely and didn't remember until the day the 'new owner' phoned used to say he had lost his keys and was there a chance we had a spare knocking around some place.

muffinthemoo Thu 31-Jan-19 16:33:49

breeze if someone breaks into my home, I will be quite happy if they just pick up the car keys and leave, as opposed to having a good old rummage.

Everything in the house is insured. I just want intruders not to harm any of the family (including dog). Everything else is just stuff, it's replaceable.

Caro57 Thu 31-Jan-19 18:37:03

Upstairs so, hopefully, they can’t be ‘tapped’ by n’er do wells

SunnySusie Thu 31-Jan-19 19:58:08

This thread has reminded me that about three years ago the car keys fell apart after going through a hot wash (its a long story) and couldnt be mended so we started using the spare. Maybe its time for me to now obtain a new spare. No idea where the spare door key is either because before we had the new super dooper double glazing it was possible to slide a credit card into the back door and open it which meant for the first thirty odd years we lived here we hadnt needed to use the spare key. Cant for the life of me remember where it is. With luck the burglars couldnt find it either, although probably they are better equipped than me to figure it out.

ayokunmi1 Thu 31-Jan-19 20:52:23

In my undies drawer

llizzie2 Thu 31-Jan-19 22:56:11

I don't have a car - or a mobile phone.

PECS Thu 31-Jan-19 23:04:27

In the 'do you know where it is? tray in the boiler cupboard!

GabriellaG54 Thu 31-Jan-19 23:30:12

I have a keysafe under a sod in the tiny flower bed. Another spare in the canvas edging of the greenhouse cover. wink

Bandit Fri 01-Feb-19 09:38:44

Message deleted by Gransnet. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

Bekstar Sun 10-Feb-19 23:26:05

I keep spare one in handbag hubby keeps main one in his pocket. I dont drive, so mine hardley ever comes out of the bag. But as he is my carer we arnt very often seperated so if he did lose his we would be ok.