Gransnet forums

Chat

Where do you keep yours?

(78 Posts)
gmelon Wed 30-Jan-19 12:51:58

The spare key to your car.
I keep mine on me in my trouser pocket in case I lose my keys while I am out.
Silly because I keep my main keys ... in my trouser pocket.
Unless I lose my trousers I should be okay.

merlotgran Wed 30-Jan-19 17:05:53

When I'm shopping I put the car keys in my jacket or jeans pocket and not in my handbag because that's where the spare car key is kept. If my handbag is snatched the car and house keys are safe.

May years ago we had a lovely little Jack Russell who went everywhere with me. I stopped to fill up with petrol and stupidly left the keys in the ignition when I went to pay. When Benji saw me returning he jumped up and down with excitement and pressed down the black locking knob on the door. shock

Fortunately, the spare key was in my handbag!

gmelon Wed 30-Jan-19 23:42:58

My OP came from wondering about the loss of keys whilst out.
How would you get in the house to retrieve the key? Especially those without a handy husband with a door key.
Alongside the car key presumably the house key would be lost too.

I keep my spare on me in case I lose the bunch. I can access my car while sorting out getting into the house.

BlueSapphire Thu 31-Jan-19 08:05:43

We had two keys; DH kept his with him and mine was always in the kitchen junk drawer.

TwiceAsNice Thu 31-Jan-19 08:16:28

I keep my own key in a hall drawer . Spare key for flat and car is at daughters in next street I have a spare house key for her too. She has the spare car key as she can drive my car I don’t drive hers it’s enormous!

Marydoll Thu 31-Jan-19 08:20:45

In my underwear drawer!

Witzend Thu 31-Jan-19 09:01:45

I've lost it! Ages ago. God knows where it went.

Just hope I'm never in the situation I once was, when my brother inadvertently went off with my car and house keys after we'd been visiting a parent. I didn't realise till he was an hour away. Thank goodness I had my bus pass, so at least able to get home, where I managed to break into my own house, find spare house and car keys, and go back to fetch car.

Humbertbear Thu 31-Jan-19 09:02:55

Us too

arosebyanyothername Thu 31-Jan-19 09:23:58

Spare keys are in bottom drawer of bedside cabinet in a box with a little car on it. DH’s idea not mine.
He takes his keys up to bed with him, I leave mine on the hall table. If someone wants to steal my car I’d rather they didn’t come upstairs to find them ?

shysal Thu 31-Jan-19 09:51:54

What about spare house keys in case you have them with your car key. My house spares are buried in a non-obvious place outside.

Lyndie Thu 31-Jan-19 10:06:49

We had a car stolen from our drive. They came in the house whilst we were asleep and took the keys from a hook in the kitchen. We now keep the keys in a safe in a cupboard.

Buffybee Thu 31-Jan-19 10:10:03

Spare car key is kept in the Owners Manual in the drawer where all car documents are kept, if I lost keys while out I'd have to either get a taxi home to get it or ask family to bring it for me.
House key is on the same fob and I used to hide one outside but all my family have keys for my house, so someone (probably Ds) would rescue me, I'm sure.

Magrithea Thu 31-Jan-19 10:15:07

We have all the spares in a box on the chest in the hall (away from any main doors!)

kittylester Thu 31-Jan-19 10:16:32

Our house keys are hidden in the garage which has a combination lock on the door. Everyone has a key to our house but you would not believe the number of times they turn up without them.

We are quite lackadaisical about keys really apart from slinging them in a drawer in the hall. I would hate to be thinking about putting them away in special place all the time.

That strikes me as living in fear.

Nannyxthree Thu 31-Jan-19 10:18:06

Some thieves prefer older cars as they are less likely to be suspected of being stolen as an expensive one would be.

Barmeyoldbat Thu 31-Jan-19 10:22:21

In a little drawer in a small chest which is meant to store herbs. when we go away we put valuables in the loft.

JanT2004 Thu 31-Jan-19 10:22:38

I read somewhere that you should leave your keys out of sight of the door/window but easily seen once entering the house. Then an intruder would just take them and go. Awful but better than them ripping everything out searching for them or, god forbid, coming into your bedroom when you are asleep to demand them.

gulligranny Thu 31-Jan-19 10:31:44

We've got a key safe for our spare house key (neighbour has one too). Spare car keys are in a bowl behind kitchen equipment on a top shelf of a remote cupboard. During the day my keys are in a bowl on a bureau in the hall which can't be seen from the front door., but DH insists on carrying his dirty great bunch of keys around with him in his trouser pocket, says he feels safer that way.

mabon1 Thu 31-Jan-19 10:35:08

In a multiple compartment box in the garage.

nipsmum Thu 31-Jan-19 10:47:58

Spare house and car keys are in my daughter's house. That way if anything happens to me she and her husband have access to both.

Minerva Thu 31-Jan-19 10:59:21

All our spare keys are kept in a tin where I keep a bit of cash and my iPad when I am out. We never used to think our cars in any way vulnerable until my daughter had her keys taken from her pocket on the tube. She must have been followed home as her car, small, old, ordinary, was stolen that night. It was then used to ferry drugs around a nearby area until it was spotted by a neighbour but since the keys were not found it was written off by the insurance company. It would have cost the value of the car to replace the locks and deep clean to remove the stink of drugs. It cost her money she didn’t have to get another car but fortunately the thief didn’t use the keys to break into her flat. The police said drug runners go for old, nondescript cars as they are less likely to draw attention to themselves.

Kim19 Thu 31-Jan-19 11:00:29

Another one who thinks they'd have to be desperate to take my buggy! I've often thought if they look around my house they'd leave a donation.

Granny23 Thu 31-Jan-19 11:02:44

Now could everyone who has told us where their keys and valuables are, please PM me your home address. Thank You.

GrannyIris5 Thu 31-Jan-19 11:18:03

On a hook rack with all the other keys in the kitchen

coast35 Thu 31-Jan-19 11:21:38

We keep ours in a metal box attached to the inside of a cupboard door. We’ve been doing that since we heard that all thieves have to do now is press a few buttons and they are into your car. Better safe than sorry.

Aepgirl Thu 31-Jan-19 11:23:41

At night I put my purse and car keys on a bookcase in the hall - my reasoning being that if I had a break in in the night the burglar would take my car and money, and leave me alone!