Gransnet forums

Chat

Where do you keep yours?

(77 Posts)
gmelon Wed 30-Jan-19 12:51:58

The spare key to your car.
I keep mine on me in my trouser pocket in case I lose my keys while I am out.
Silly because I keep my main keys ... in my trouser pocket.
Unless I lose my trousers I should be okay.

Charleygirl5 Wed 30-Jan-19 13:12:03

In a drawer indoors but always in the same place because with my memory heaven knows if it would ever turn up again if I wanted it.

tanith Wed 30-Jan-19 13:21:26

Same as Charleygirl .

Maggiemaybe Wed 30-Jan-19 13:26:54

At the bottom of a blanket box upstairs.

MiniMoon Wed 30-Jan-19 13:32:59

In a pretty wine glass in my kitchen cupboard. I know exactly where to find it.

kittylester Wed 30-Jan-19 13:51:40

On Dh's keyring. Our cars are sort of interchangeable so we both have both keys.

Before we had this arrangement, DH was always taking both lots to work with him. I got so fed up of this that I sent a taxi to collect them, making him pay. That larned him!

shysal Wed 30-Jan-19 13:52:06

In a drawer. I have never had to use it because of losing my main one, but it has a label attached with my name and reg number as I use it when leaving my car for service. They always have to search when I pick the car up!

KatyK Wed 30-Jan-19 14:05:01

I haven't got a car smile

paddyann Wed 30-Jan-19 14:13:38

We have a framed print in our hallway that hides a key store.It has lots of little hooks inside it and thats where all our spares live,spares for AC's houses too and for MIL's.It makes life much simpler if you know exactly where things are.
Wish there was one for spare specs! We had to go buy new specs last week (£360) when OH lost his brand new ones bought at Christmas.We had checked everywhere car,van,studio, garage every room in the house and in my sons house as he's been doing DIY there.Two days later the specs turned up AND the spare specs .Optician wont accept a cancellation and thay've been paid in full . Lets just hope his prescription doesn't change when his test is due in May .

Day6 Wed 30-Jan-19 14:18:35

Apparently we are advised not to leave car or house keys on the hall table. Burglar first port of call. OH used to.

We now secrete spare car keys (ooooh...isn't 'secrete' is a horrible word? ) behind a pile of books in a bookcase just off the hall.

dragonfly46 Wed 30-Jan-19 14:18:42

We keep ours in special pouches so that thieves cannot connect to them and steal the cars.

M0nica Wed 30-Jan-19 14:30:25

Our spare car keys hang on a keyboard in a kitchen cupboard. We do not own the kind of cars that thieves want to steal.

We work on the basis that when the potential thieves see the age and decrepitude of the cars in our drive way,, they will decide the house will not contain anything worth stealing anyway.

Jalima1108 Wed 30-Jan-19 14:32:07

We do not own the kind of cars that thieves want to steal.
don't be so sure M0nica, mine was jemmied and hotwired once but the thieves were disturbed. It was a very old car but sturdy and apparently would have been required for a 'ram raid' according to the police.

NanKate Wed 30-Jan-19 14:42:09

DH who is megaly conscious of security insists that our keys are taken upstairs to the bedroom every night and put in a place where thieves can’t use an ingenious device that links up with our keys and opens the door to our cars. I’m not joking.

I wouldn’t dare say where are any other valuables are kept as he would say ‘the thieves may be able to find where you live through GN’.

Our DS says to me ‘you and dad live in bl**dy Fort Knox’. He’s right ?

TerriBull Wed 30-Jan-19 14:43:03

I chuck my everyday car key on the kitchen table whenever I come in, I think my husband has the spares for both our cars and the spare for one of our sons, somewhere, I hope ! At least that's what he tells me.

shandi6570 Wed 30-Jan-19 14:46:02

In our underfloor safe, but it's a real pita if we need it. My OH is a real worry guts over safety and security!

Jalima1108 Wed 30-Jan-19 14:47:40

I have no idea (what spare key?)
must go and check

shandi6570 Wed 30-Jan-19 14:49:12

NanKate I sympathise, my OH is the same. Drives me insane sometimes.

Day6 Wed 30-Jan-19 15:00:16

in special pouches so that thieves cannot connect to them

Sounds like a good idea dragonfly given many modern cars are keyless (have only a fob) and are press button to start. once opened, they can be driven off if connected.

Can you buy these pouches online? I'll have a look....

Greyduster Wed 30-Jan-19 15:25:17

In a crystal rose bowl on my dressing table, underneath DH’s FC season ticket and a pile of his other dross!

Auntieflo Wed 30-Jan-19 15:37:25

Ours are like MOnica’s, keys to back door , garage door, shed etc, all hanging up. I don’t think thieves would want our car either, although she is priceless to us. ?
Our AC had their car keys stolen, by being ‘fished’ through the front door, years ago now.
All house locks had to be changed, as they were also on the ring.

ninathenana Wed 30-Jan-19 15:46:45

On a key rack in the understairs cupboar.
DH and I always take our bunches of keys upstairs at night. My car key is on my bunch with house keys etc.

kittylester Wed 30-Jan-19 15:48:44

kate a friend used to take her handbag, with all keys in, upstairs every night. About midnight she woke up to find a man in her room just about to make off with her bag.

Luckily, She slipped in headmistress mode and told him to jolly well put it back and go away. He did!

DH once shut himself out of the house and poked a cane through the letter box, into the bowl on the chest in the hall that we all used to drop keys into, snared the keys and pulled them through the letterbox. We put them in a drawer now.

Coolgran65 Wed 30-Jan-19 16:04:42

In my jewellery box inside my wardrobe. DH's spare key is there also.

Anja Wed 30-Jan-19 16:09:20

In the microwave so it can’t be hacked!