Gransnet forums

Chat

Saluting magpies!

(100 Posts)
Urmstongran Wed 06-Feb-19 09:18:37

Are you superstitious? Do you feel a slight unease if you see one magpie/break a mirror/spill some salt?

It’s silly and irrational but still .... I was happier yesterday walking through the park after spotting one magpie when another landed on the grass nearby!

aggie Wed 06-Feb-19 09:26:47

Oh yes , I get a shiver when I see a single one

MiniMoon Wed 06-Feb-19 09:30:25

Whenever I see a single magpie, I wish him good day and ask after his wife and family. Of course, it may well be a female, but I always do it.

DoraMarr Wed 06-Feb-19 09:30:59

My aunt always says “good morning Mr Magpie, how is your wife at home?” If she sees a single magpie.

EllanVannin Wed 06-Feb-19 09:33:20

My mum was superstitious----probably coming from the IOM and acknowledging the " fairies " over the Fairy Bridge there when she'd bid them good morning on crossing it, because if you didn't----------

ninathenana Wed 06-Feb-19 09:34:11

DH dosen't salute but he does say
"Good morning, major"

We used to get magpies in our garden quiet regularly. I've just realised reading this I haven't seen any for months.

Fennel Wed 06-Feb-19 09:42:06

I hadn't heard of that superstition, but I don't like magpies. They're very aggressive and attack other birds, and even cats!
Also they steal eggs from nesting boxes
www.youtube.com/watch?v=0w0UHK4Vrlo
So maybe the superstition is to avoid problems with them?

Izabella Wed 06-Feb-19 09:44:56

So what do you do when you see 6 or 7.
I wonder?

Fennel Wed 06-Feb-19 09:48:52

Hide grin

Anniebach Wed 06-Feb-19 09:51:01

Always greet a single Magpie and ask after his family

Kittye Wed 06-Feb-19 09:52:46

If I see a single one I greet it with “ Good morning / afternoon Your Majesty” Am I mad or what ?

PennyWhistle Wed 06-Feb-19 09:53:47

Always hope to see six, which means gold according to the poem ?

Leah50 Wed 06-Feb-19 09:55:34

I once fell off my bike & broke my arm whilst looking for a second magpie.

opalyo Wed 06-Feb-19 09:56:23

I have to stop myself chucking salt over my shoulder if I spill any, quite ridiculous, but all my family did it and it is hard to not do it.blush

luluaugust Wed 06-Feb-19 09:57:07

We say "Good morning Mr Magpie and how are your wife and children" Oh dear.

Pippa000 Wed 06-Feb-19 10:00:56

I always say good morning/afternoon to a Magpie and ask about his family. On superstitions, when my father heard of a death in the family or a friend he always went to the bottom of the garden to tell the Bees, I have no idea why, perhaps someone can enlighten me!

millymouge Wed 06-Feb-19 10:01:37

I was always told to put a broken mirror in water as it washes the bad luck away!!!!!

GrannyO Wed 06-Feb-19 10:03:26

We've a garden full of flipping magpies, wish they'd all go away, they pinch the squirrel's nuts and prey on songbirds' eggs. I 'ates'em!

Angels2 Wed 06-Feb-19 10:05:20

I don’t particularly do anything,? but whenever my mum useto see one she would salute and say “Good morning/Afternoon Mr Magpie”

monkeebeat Wed 06-Feb-19 10:10:59

I, now, salute single Magpies. I feel a bit embarrassed doing it and try to do it sureptitiously.

I was aware, as I travelled to hospital with a sense of foreboding, for test results, that there were many single Magpies on the journey. It crossed my mind, for the first time, I should be acknowledging them in some way.
My diagnosis of breast cancer and subsequent surgerycreated a need to acknowledge them ever since.
Totally irrational, I know, but...still...

Annaram1 Wed 06-Feb-19 10:12:35

Last year some blackbirds nested in my neighbours garden. One morning while I was in my garden I heard a frightful noise. On looking up I saw a magpie flying overhead being pursued by dozens of birds of all kinds. The magpie appeared to be holding something small and pink in its beak. It landed near the top of a nearby tree and all the other birds landed around it, shouting their heads off. Obviously the magpie had stolen one of the baby blackbirds and the other birds were telling it off. No wonder they are called robber birds.

dragonfly46 Wed 06-Feb-19 10:15:14

I always throw spilled salt over my left shoulder and salute a single magpie. However, I tend to walk under ladders!

maryhoffman37 Wed 06-Feb-19 10:16:53

Our youngest daughter invented this magpie greeting, which I now always use: "I salute you, Citizen Magpie, you and your Significant Other, if applicable."

Izabella Wed 06-Feb-19 10:16:53

Well as they mate for life it is thought (apparently, I had to look it up) that seeing a lone magpie suggests a mate has died. Hence one for sorrow, two for joy.

One or two other interesting bits here toohttp://www.timelessmyths.co.uk/saulting-magpies.html

Izabella Wed 06-Feb-19 10:17:16

www.timelessmyths.co.uk/saulting-magpies.html