Gransnet forums

Chat

Ouija Boards

(164 Posts)
MissAdventure Sun 10-Feb-19 20:46:43

Have you ever used one, or would you be too frightened to?

Do you think its a lot of old claptrap, or should we not mess with things we don't understand?
Are they a gateway to 'the other side', or a way of possibly unleashing something that should be left well alone?

Anniebach Sun 10-Feb-19 20:49:20

Dangerous

MissAdventure Sun 10-Feb-19 20:51:17

What is the danger, Annie?
I'm not being facetious; I'm very interested in peoples' views, because it seems even people who have no belief in anything supernatural are wary of them.

tanith Sun 10-Feb-19 20:52:15

I have when I was young and realised what a load of nonsense it was.

merlotgran Sun 10-Feb-19 20:56:29

We lived in a spooky old house in Suffolk in the early seventies.

Invited some friends round who brought a Ouija board and a few bottles of wine for an evening of anticipated jollity.

Scared the bejesus out of us. shock

sodapop Sun 10-Feb-19 20:57:01

Although I don't believe, some people are very suggestible and it can cause problems.
Even so there are more things in heaven and earth ............

Grannybags Sun 10-Feb-19 20:59:33

I have when I was young too. All I remember is we scared ourselves silly!

I'd like to think there was a gateway but I don't think there can be. I would use one if I thought I could "speak" to someone who had died though

MissAdventure Sun 10-Feb-19 21:00:01

What scared you, merlot?
Did anything happen?

Jalima1108 Sun 10-Feb-19 21:11:10

Yes, and we scared ourselves silly.

So much so we told the college padre and he warned us not to meddle in things we could never understand.

I have never touched one since.

Jane10 Sun 10-Feb-19 21:12:54

I'd be too scared. I'd be sure to get a row from beyond the grave for messing about with this. My deceased DDad told DD at a clairvoyant session that, although it was nice to see her, she shouldn't be doing this sort of thing! It was just what he'd say. The medium gave DD all sorts of very detailed stuff that she couldn't possibly have known.

merlotgran Sun 10-Feb-19 21:14:58

It spelled out some names that were appropriate to the area where we were living MissA.

Not far from where St Edmund met his grisly end.

We didn't do it again. grin

Tangerine Sun 10-Feb-19 21:25:44

I don't think I would want to participate.

NanKate Sun 10-Feb-19 21:26:35

Wouldn’t touch one with a barge pole.

janeainsworth Sun 10-Feb-19 21:30:19

I did it with school friends.
The spirit was called Petra.
We asked it how many illegitimate children Brian Jones (Rolling Stones) had.
It spelled out ‘eleven’ shockgrin
I wouldn’t do it now, or go to a medium.

M0nica Sun 10-Feb-19 21:38:31

I think it is all smoke and mirrors. Read Dorothy Sayer's Strong Poison to find out how to manipulate them.

sassenach512 Sun 10-Feb-19 21:42:22

I'd say leave well alone, it's like leaving your front door wide open and allowing anyone into your house

petra Sun 10-Feb-19 21:43:53

I'm here?

MissAdventure Sun 10-Feb-19 21:45:24

Oh, that gives me a little frisson of fear. shock
I quite enjoy scary things, and I have an ouija board, but its hidden away, and I wouldn't be brave enough.
Just in case..

Tangerine Sun 10-Feb-19 21:45:54

I laughed out loud at petra's post.

Jalima1108 Sun 10-Feb-19 21:50:39

petra grin
Zooming around the board at top speed then sending the glass flying to smash on the floor shock

janeainsworth Sun 10-Feb-19 21:54:54

petra I suspected it was you??

PECS Sun 10-Feb-19 22:27:13

petra gringrin
As I do not believe in an afterlife it would be pointless to use one....
though as a teen when ouija was popular I have been part of a silly crowd of young people mucking about.

Mycatisahacker Mon 11-Feb-19 00:00:56

Yes we have often as my sister il hosts loads of them. To be honest we find it hard not to laugh as she’s so in earnest.

However I did see a psychic last summer. She didn’t know my last name so no social media digging. She told me things only I knew about and other things she said which I utterly dismissed as untrue have now come true. Can’t explain it but I also can’t deny the facts..

stella1949 Mon 11-Feb-19 04:14:11

I don't believe in any of that stuff. But I do think that things like this can be dangerous ,because suggestible people can be convinced of things which are not true, and which could cause trouble.

I always smile when people say they went to see a clairvoyant or whatever, and "she told me things that only I would know". If you read about how clairvoyants do their work, you'd understand that they make a study of people's body language, and know what people want to hear. For instance, if you told 100 people " others don't appreciate you", almost all of them would say "Yes ! That's so true about me !"........which is because everyone thinks they are unappreciated. And so it goes, and some people make a good living out doing this.

RosieLeah Mon 11-Feb-19 06:33:35

There are a lot of unpleasant people in the world, and when they die their spirits stay close to the living, waiting for the opportunity to cause trouble. Using a ouija board is an easy way to attract them and bring them back into this world. Keep away from them.