Gransnet forums

Chat

Peterborough then Huddersfield ?

(93 Posts)
Urmstongran Thu 21-Feb-19 13:32:07

Anyone live in either of these towns?

The new league table of 'cr*p towns' by website ILiveHere.co.uk reveals the areas branded 'grotty' and 'run-down' by not-so-proud residents.
Almost 50,000 people responded to the survey, which is carried out every year.

What is it really like living in any of the top 10 worst places? Are they as bad as they are painted?
Here are the worst areas:

1. Peterborough
2. Huddersfield
3. Rochdale
4. Doncaster
5. Hull
6. Rotherham
7. Blackpool
8. Castleford
9. Oldham
10. Blackburn

Are they awful? Lack of investment during years of George Osborne’s austerity measures won’t have helped. But if you live in one of these places - what’s it REALLY like?

lemongrove Thu 21-Feb-19 13:37:33

Am surprised to see Blackpool on this list ( not surprised by the others)
Went through Blackpool last year, thought it looked a pleasant place, but of course that’s not actually living there.

Parklife1 Thu 21-Feb-19 13:58:23

I spent my childhood in Huddersfield. Moved to London, then further south and am now on the south coast.

Does that answer the question?

EllanVannin Thu 21-Feb-19 14:04:28

These places weren't awful once upon a time ??
I remember Huddersfield in the early 50's when I holidayed with relatives in Keighley.

KatyK Thu 21-Feb-19 14:34:03

I'm surprised Birmingham isn't on there. We usually get a bad press but I love Brum.

Jalima1108 Thu 21-Feb-19 14:48:22

Well, lists like that are going to do wonders for the towns and the house prices too!

Who decides what is cr*p and what is not?

Jalima1108 Thu 21-Feb-19 14:48:43

We went to Hull a couple of years ago on a visit and loved it.

Grandma70s Thu 21-Feb-19 14:51:49

Most towns have awful bits and good bits. I admit I wouldn’t want to live in any of those places, but I’m surprised about Hull. University cities are usually quite interesting.

I am not surprised Blackpool is there, and there are other coastal towns (south as well as north) that aren’t too good either.

Jalima1108 Thu 21-Feb-19 14:57:00

It may be different living in Hull than just visiting, but there was so much to do we didn't find time to do even half of it.

Urmstongran Thu 21-Feb-19 16:02:46

One man ‘s meat and all that.

I just wondered what the people who actually live in these towns think about their area? Does this survey reflect what they feel about the place?

PECS Thu 21-Feb-19 16:09:24

Many coastal town are in the doldrums. Wealthier areas have moved out their social housing families to the empty B&Bs and cheaper holiday houses in coastal town.

All these "lists" almost become self-fulfilling. The top 10 will incur increase in house prices/ rents making them out of reach for local younger folk trying to set up home.

Unless you know what it is really based on difficult to trust! Same for any league table : schools/hospitals etc.

Mycatisahacker Thu 21-Feb-19 16:13:38

KatyK

Brum is awesome isn’t it! Lots of rejenerstion and money pouring in. Very diverse and generally safe.

All those towns are north? The further away from London the less fucks given

That’s why we have Brexit.

PECS Thu 21-Feb-19 16:24:31

So just looked up my town on the website link. The criteria it uses to judge a town are the percentage of people
a) in high/low socio-economic bands
b) who were born outside the UK
c) in owned home/rental/social
d) on any type of benefit
e) with different levels of education
f) with good/bad health
g) at different ages

PECS Thu 21-Feb-19 16:27:36

Only visited Birmingham for the first time quite recently, it was very buzzy and I liked the city. I would like to go back and explore more. I do like a city!

Jalima1108 Thu 21-Feb-19 16:32:22

This has to be a spoof website, surely?

There is nowhere that does not get a cr*p review with some rather deranged captions!!

Mind you, that rather stupid MP for Bridgewater, Ian Liddell-Grainger, likened Taunton to Aleppo.
I presume he has never been anywhere near Syria.
Idiot.

Jalima1108 Thu 21-Feb-19 16:37:52

Don't worry about the north being worse than the south - or the west or the east - nowhere escapes the venom!!

Urmstongran Thu 21-Feb-19 16:44:00

Thanks PECS for further clarification. ??

Jalima1108 Thu 21-Feb-19 16:46:57

Am I looking at the same website?

The one I looked at just had rude captions under photos sent in by users of the website.

There seemed to be nothing scientific about the survey.

PECS Thu 21-Feb-19 16:56:32

www.ilivehere.co.uk/area

Try this link and put your town in the space. I think it is based on the last census so a bit out of date!

Jalima1108 Thu 21-Feb-19 16:59:38

Ah well, it is not featured.
So heave a sigh of relief (or get worried that it is only a virtual town and we're not real).

KatyK Thu 21-Feb-19 17:17:51

Well I think it is mycat As mentioned above, everywhere has a mixed bag and there are some awful and some posh areas here. I like it because we have theatres, restaurants as well as lovely countryside within easy reach. I'm sure most people feel the same about their home town.

GrandmaKT Thu 21-Feb-19 17:18:23

I have never lived in Peterborough, but visited it for work a few times in the last 3 years. I thought what a lovely town centre it was. Shows what i know!

PECS Thu 21-Feb-19 17:34:31

Oh my.. we are not a big town but we did pop up!

Washerwoman Thu 21-Feb-19 18:57:28

Born and bred in one on the list and still live there.There's no doubt the town centre has got run down in recent years and we are losing our M &S which won't help.Our Labout council is probably one of the most ineffective out there with it seems no vision .Granted austerity cuts havent helped .But our nearest town of a similar size seems to have a council that's much more proactive.And that really frustrates a lot of locals here. But our town is packed with architectural gems,unlike some souless towns I have visited down south.
However we have one of the top 6th form colleges in the country,a vibrant university with some amazing new buildings, fantastic countryside on our doorstep - I'm 10 minutes from the town centre but can walk out of my door straight into woods and fields with stunning views.The outlying villages are buzzing with small independent businesses, great farm shops and some lovely restaurants.We have a theatre, music and literary festivals and we are a short hop on the train from 3 major cities with even more culture.
The village I live in has a large estate which has had some notoriety for anti social behaviour but also some lovely roads with houses worth a million plus.A real mixed bag like the town in general.Like many ,many towns in the UK.I have seen this survey before and personally think it's a load of old tripe.

Urmstongran Thu 21-Feb-19 19:01:31

I think your probably right washerwoman in that it’s a load of old tripe. But thank you for taking the time to post.

It must be pretty upsetting/annoying if you live in one of these areas that get castigated like this.

I wouldn’t like to be trying to sell a property in one of them this week.