Gransnet forums

Chat

Can you believe a mother would do this?!

(34 Posts)
GranolaGran Tue 12-Mar-19 10:16:01

www.theguardian.com/world/2019/mar/12/saudi-plane-turns-around-mother-forgets-baby-airport

shock

Imagine the heart attack!

paddyann Tue 12-Mar-19 10:20:59

I left mine outside a shop and got a bus home...amazing what baby brain does when you're overtired .Poor woman must have been frantic at least I could run all the way back to get mine...all 2 miles .

maryeliza54 Tue 12-Mar-19 10:22:03

Yes - modern day equivalent of leaving baby in pram outside of shop ( when that used to be accepted) and then going home without it. Poor woman - imagine how she felt when she realised

maryeliza54 Tue 12-Mar-19 10:22:27

X post paddy

eazybee Tue 12-Mar-19 10:24:15

I left mine (two year old) at the nursery; she slipped in and joined the other children on the mat while I delivered her older brother and I walked the very short distance home without missing her. The nursery staff alerted me; I was mortified!

Carolina55 Tue 12-Mar-19 10:47:43

I never actually did this but I had living nightmares about doing it and yes, I remember leaving the pram outside shops in those days where you’d return to find it surrounded with women cooing over a beaming baby!

GranolaGran Tue 12-Mar-19 10:51:45

I did too Carolina! Just reading the article made me feel nauseous.

Scribbles Tue 12-Mar-19 11:19:08

I was halfway home from the local Co-op one day when I realised I hadn't got the pram with 3 month old daughter. I raced back to the shop and ...horrors! No pram! Just as I opened my mouth to start screaming hysterically, I remembered: OH had a day off work and I'd left Daughter sleeping peacefully at home in his care. I'd never believed in baby-brain until that moment.

B9exchange Tue 12-Mar-19 11:29:35

Apparently she didn't leave the baby on its own, she left it in the care of considerably older sister, who got on the wrong transfer bus. A catalogue of disasters that the mother didn't tell the staff until the plane had started taxiing - and surely if the older child was also missing, something was seriously wrong with the cabin crew's passenger checks?

B9exchange Tue 12-Mar-19 11:32:07

It is odd what you can do in stressful situations, we left 7 month old son in his carry cot on the floor of the living room when moving house. We had filled up the van to move ourselves, putting him in the empty living room until the last minute, and then locked up and drove off! Fortunately we only reached the end of the road before checking the back seat of the car.....!

sodapop Tue 12-Mar-19 11:33:55

Something seriously amiss with the mother as well B9 to lose one child is careless to lose two children .................

EllanVannin Tue 12-Mar-19 11:41:41

In the past I've come away from stores with having left shopping or parcels on or near a counter because I've been pre-occupied with getting back to the pram outside------but never without the child.

I'd have probably done the same on a plane, picked up the child and left everything else behind.

I have to be different I suppose !

Anja Tue 12-Mar-19 11:44:41

OMG! Imagine, thinking ‘I’m sure I had something else with me.....the baby!’

Poor woman.

notanan2 Tue 12-Mar-19 11:45:27

I lay down "for a minute" after dropping my DD at nursery and ended up in an exhausted sleep all day! I woke up having missed pick up time. I ran all the way there. Felt like the worst mother in the world.

It happens to every tired babybrain mum it just doesnt usually involve a whole plane!

SueDonim Tue 12-Mar-19 13:01:36

My dad left my brother in his pram outside a post office. When my irate mother ran to collect him, bro had managed to get into the shopping which dad had done and was covered in fish scales and herring guts. grin

boat Tue 12-Mar-19 13:28:16

I left my three week old son asleep in his pram outside a department store. Unfortunately I came out through a different door so there was nothing to nudge my memory.

I was halfway up an extremely long hill before I began to get an uneasy feeling that I had forgotten something. I checked my shopping list and everything was crossed off. Then I realised my shopping bag was a bit light for every thing on the list to be in it.

That's when I started haring back because I remembered tucking some items down the side of the pram. He was still snoozing so no harm done but I felt wretchedly guilty.

Iam64 Tue 12-Mar-19 13:56:56

My mother left the 3 month old baby in her pram outside the shop. Mum was busy assembling the evening meal when she shouted "where's the baby". She soon remembered and ran like the wind to find the baby still asleep in her pram - phew.

sunseeker Tue 12-Mar-19 14:03:47

An often told story in the family is of when my mother left me in my pram outside a shop. She got the bus back home and it wasn't until she walked into the house and my father asked where I was that she remembered! She had to wait for a bus to take her back to the shops to find the shop assistants, thinking I had been abandoned had taken me into the shop and were discussing who they should call!

BlueBelle Tue 12-Mar-19 14:10:11

Never left a baby behind but my youngest daughter got involved with chatting with a friend over a coffee in the airport lounge and totally forgot her big suitcase full of ten days worth of clothes and holiday items She was very very lucky as two day# later it was delivered to her hotel (she is the scatterbrain in the family)

Anja Tue 12-Mar-19 14:26:51

My DiL arrived at our house one day and stopped for a coffee. After about 20 minutes I enquired ‘where’s xxx?’ (my granddaughter) thinking my son might be looking after her.

DiL paused, coffee cup half way to her mouth, frozen in horror. She’d forgotten she had the baby and had left her in the car parked down the street. Luckily it was a cool day and she was still fast asleep.

SueDonim Tue 12-Mar-19 14:39:07

I've just remembered a woman I knew who forgot her baby several times. She did have five children so I suppose it was quite easy to mislay one of other of them!

She went to visit a friend in hospital and got home to a phone call (pre-mobile days) from the hospital to say she had left her handbag behind. She went back and collected it, then as she was leaving the car park someone came running out to say she'd now left her baby on the ward.

She had a cleaning lady, who went in one day to work in the empty house. Imagine her shock when she entered to dining room, to find the three-month-old baby fast asleep in a bean bag!

Jomarie Tue 12-Mar-19 14:52:51

I haven't actually forgotten a baby or left it behind somewhere but I do have a recurring dream where I forget I've got a baby or where I am aware of the baby but neglect to wake it up and apparently (in my dream that is) let it sleep for days unfed, unchanged and in a different room !!! Always wake feeling slightly disturbed for the rest of the day confused

GrannyGravy13 Tue 12-Mar-19 14:54:03

After sitting behind a family whose baby screamed for the whole duration of a 4 1/2hour flight, I sincerely wished they had left the child behind.

Yes I do know babies cry, having flown with all ours the youngest being 9 days old on his first flight.

rascal Tue 12-Mar-19 15:45:39

Our daughter was only a few weeks old. She was sleeping in the carrycot on the floor ready for my husband to carry her out to the car. He had put our three year old son in his car seat. I had had a C section so was to take it easy so no lifting. We were ready to leave. I locked up. Husband was starting the car. I got in the passenger seat, turned round to check everything was alright. No baby! She had been left sleeping in the house! hmm

callgirl1 Tue 12-Mar-19 18:15:57

I left one of mine outside the shop round the corner, but didn`t realise for about 30 minutes. Went rushing back, the lady who owned the shop said "We`ve been betting on how long before you came back!"