Gransnet forums

Chat

Bad language

(51 Posts)
Bopeep14 Tue 12-Mar-19 11:22:34

Why do people feel using bad language is ok in todays society. Today i asked workers politely to move their van from outside my house which was parked on the pavement right at the side of my car, and against my front window were my grandson was having a nap, no room for people to get past at all. They were putting scaffolding in the back and it was extremely noisy. The abuse i got was unbeliavable, the f word and the p word and was told i was a t**t, and some people have to work for a living not like you lazy cow,they are working on a house five houses up and there was plenty of parking outside this house, no idea why they parked outside my house.

janeainsworth Tue 12-Mar-19 11:30:51

If they are working for a company, complain to the boss.
Or complain to the person who owns the house they are working on.
If you don’t get a sympathetic response and an improvement in their manners, it might be worth reporting it to the police.
It’s certainly antisocial behaviour and possibly worse.

Anja Tue 12-Mar-19 11:41:46

That is unacceptable. However, unless they refused to move their van I’d let it go. You had your day, politely, they responded like the low-life scum they probably are. End of.
You have the moral high ground.

However if they haven’t moved their van then then I’d take it further.

Anja Tue 12-Mar-19 11:42:08

You have your say...

EllanVannin Tue 12-Mar-19 11:47:18

Doesn't surprise me when most things on TV contain swearing. I switched over to this " Fleabag " last night that everyone speaks about-------for about 3 minutes !! Besides it being utter incomprehensible rubbish I think every other word was a sweary one. Where's the entertainment in that ?
No wonder my TV is programmed to " Talking Pictures " !

DoraMarr Tue 12-Mar-19 12:24:51

Well, I love “Fleabag” and I think the swearing is appropriate in the context. But that’s the point: context is everything.

Nata Tue 12-Mar-19 13:30:29

After I was told i was a t**t, and some people have to work for a living not like you lazy cow, I would speak sweary language to them. Obviously, it's their native language and they would have understood it.

ElaineI Tue 12-Mar-19 13:59:37

There seems to be an increase in swearing on TV just now particularly the f**** word where it is not actually necessary. I am not a prude and probably use the same word too much but it is spoiling some programmes we have previously enjoyed.

FlexibleFriend Tue 12-Mar-19 14:02:59

They're just words and have no more meaning than any others, I don't even notice them.

BlueBelle Tue 12-Mar-19 14:13:50

If the words are said with venom though FlexibleFriend I think we should notice them
I think I would have waited until they had gone off with the scaffolding then dropped a few drawing pins on the ground in front of the van ...ooops

maryeliza54 Tue 12-Mar-19 14:28:38

Whatjanea said.

Mapleleaf Tue 12-Mar-19 18:52:45

There’s absolutely no need for foul language in every day speech. I think you should complain to their employer if possible as they were well out of order. They were rude and Ill mannered in their response to you.

Jalima1108 Tue 12-Mar-19 19:26:04

I agree with janeainsworth

There is no excuse.

Eloethan Tue 12-Mar-19 19:26:08

Swearing doesn't particularly bother me but when it is aimed at someone and is used in an aggressive and threatening way, which in this case I think it was, it is unacceptable.

I would mention it to the people whose house these people are working on.

FlexibleFriend Wed 13-Mar-19 11:10:56

They want to be noticed BlueBelle so why take the bait and give them what they want. I find it better to ignore bad behaviour and praise the good. It works for dogs.

Deedaa Wed 13-Mar-19 16:11:27

If you report them to their employer he might be worried about losing possible new customers and actually say something to them.

elbev60 Wed 13-Mar-19 21:53:53

I’m sad to say so many people probably don’t even realise the amount of swearing they do now as it seems to be everyday language! It seems to be that swear less language is in a minority sadly.

GrandmainOz Wed 13-Mar-19 21:58:01

Sounds to me that it's not just the language but the horrible attitude that's a problem here. How awful for you to be subjected to such a tirade. There's just no need to be so nasty, is there?

MissAdventure Wed 13-Mar-19 22:57:03

I would report them to their company.
Totally unacceptable.
Effing cheek of it! wink

absent Thu 14-Mar-19 03:48:36

Words are just words – but they are enormously powerful. If someone uses an expletive casually, it's not really important – the fucking government, for example – even if you don't like it. If someone uses it as a term of abuse – you fucking bitch – then it is.

harrigran Thu 14-Mar-19 09:18:39

I would take exception to someone using this kind of language, DH and I have never used the f word in conversation and certainly do not expect workmen to use it to our faces.
Take the company name and phone number and use on social media :- ' looking for friendly building company ? then don't use this one'

Franbern Thu 14-Mar-19 09:54:47

When my children were small and 'experimented' with swear words, I made them stand in front of the whole family to give the dictionary definition of the word they used. They rarely repeated it. (Better than in my childhood when mouths would be washed out with carbolic soap).
I have always thought that the use of swear words just shows the total lack of knowledge of language. I really do not, and never have, liked it.
Strange thing is that even when I was younger people would usually apologise to me if they swore in front of me, and one memorable occasion when I was with my best friend and her eldest lad (a trader!!) who she always told me used the most foul language to her and in front of her. I was with her that day when he started off....f 'ing and blinding at her, then suddenly stopped, turned to me and said 'Sorry Aunty J.......'.
Locally, recently, two young lads were in front of their parents home, pressure cleaning the drive, smoking weed (could smell that) and their language was rather 'rich'. I did not say anything to them or even look at them, but as I went past, the older one stopped his younger brother, looked at me and said 'Sorry Missus'.
I do rather resent the way so many swear words seem to be acceptable in film and tv and radio dramas.
If someone I had asked, politely, to move, etc. used that sort of language then definitely a report would be made to their company, their employers and probably the Community Police.

Carole28 Thu 14-Mar-19 10:20:08

Actually I think it's not just the language but the way they used it to intimidate and bully you was totally unacceptable. They should be reported to their employer or the person whose house they were working at. Too many people get away with aggressive and bad behaviour. This must have been really horrible for you

quizqueen Thu 14-Mar-19 10:27:08

Also go onto Checkatrade and their own personal website, if they have one, and leave a negative comment about them.

Niucla97 Thu 14-Mar-19 10:31:01

Yes it's hard to take but seems to be the norm in so many people. However old you were my mother would have washed your mouth out with soap!

Although I have a twenty one year old grandson and I'm not saying he doesn't use bad language when he's out with his mates - I don't know. I have never heard him use bad language and he hated the use of it when he was younger.

I must admit I was somewhat taken back when watching a recent episode of the Hotel Inspector. Alex Polizzi's language was certainly not what I expected.