Gransnet forums

Chat

Is this really normal

(177 Posts)
BlueBelle Thu 21-Mar-19 22:33:22

I know each to his own etc etc but today I came across two women probably in their 40 s who had very expensive prams with all the very fancy accessories I said ‘ohh that looks like a tiny one tucked down there’ and as she pulled the covers back she explained it was a ‘reborn’ as was her friends ‘baby’ She was not mentally ill but was rocking the pram as she talked to me and told me her husband stayed with the pram when she had to go in busy shops she also told me there were about fifty women in our town with these ‘babies’ (seemed like a club) the dolls cost around £350 + I really thought I was in a parcelled universe

Is this the latest craze to take over from dressed up silly named dogs

Luckygirl Thu 21-Mar-19 22:39:52

That seems sad.

merlotgran Thu 21-Mar-19 22:40:23

In the words of my eldest DGD, 'Eeeek! That's creeping me out!

grin

Anniebach Thu 21-Mar-19 22:40:29

These have been around for some time Bluebell, probably they fill a need but I think they are unhealthy

phoenix Thu 21-Mar-19 22:40:37

BlueBelle to answer the question in your OP, NO!

Chewbacca Thu 21-Mar-19 22:42:06

It seems a bit daft to me but as you...say each to their own! We all have different ways of coping with what life throws at us and, whilst this doesn't make sense to me personally, maybe it takes them back to happier times in their lives.
Different strokes for different folks!

MissAdventure Thu 21-Mar-19 22:47:28

I watched a programme about this years ago.

A woman had almost bought up her grandson as her daughter was very ill with cancer.

The daughter recovered, met a man and moved away, taking the grandson with her.

The woman had a reborn doll made in the image of her grandson; she sent photos and so on..

Very sad, and very strange.

BlueBelle Fri 22-Mar-19 06:04:03

Oh I know it’s been around a while, people buying these Anniebach I just haven’t met anyone taking them for a walk before
I did speak to one lady and she didn’t appear to be sad or have any problems that she ‘needed’ a baby for and I can understand people collecting them if that floats their boat but takng them for a walk !!
I just couldn’t help thinking the £1000 odd pound or more those two ladies were walking around could have kept a real child alive for a year or two

absent Fri 22-Mar-19 06:38:22

I think it is quite disturbing. I have never heard of this but I cannot see it as normal behaviour.

RosieLeah Fri 22-Mar-19 06:48:21

This is the first time I've heard of this (it's not April 1st, is it?). It's sad but they are doing no-one any harm. It's a pity that their maternal instincts are not being satisfied by caring for a living creature which could benefit from being loved and nurtured.

NanKate Fri 22-Mar-19 07:10:45

Very odd, but clearly fills a need for some women and maybe their DHs.

Do you remember the popularity of cabbage patch dolls ?

Mapleleaf Fri 22-Mar-19 07:25:58

Quite bizarre, but, yes, perhaps it fills a void for some people, though I don’t think it’s particularly healthy.

Urmstongran Fri 22-Mar-19 07:31:34

I’ve seen photos of these dolly babies. They are so life like! And very expensive. I didn’t realise people would take them out though in a pram. I thought they just kept them at home. Bit weird in my opinion.

Witzend Fri 22-Mar-19 07:31:59

Very weird, but I suppose each to their own.
Perhaps preferable IMO to those women who have tiny little dogs that they use like toys or fashion accessories - dressing them in ridiculous clothes and carrying them around in their designer bags,

BlueSapphire Fri 22-Mar-19 07:35:47

I helped a lady with a pram off the train once (thinking it was a real baby), and then on the platform she proudly pulled back the covers, and showed me her 'reborn'........

BradfordLass72 Fri 22-Mar-19 07:48:12

Maybe they are just desperate for the grandchildren they'll never have?

Trying to imagine what they do when they get home with these babies is quite upsetting. Have they imbued the doll with 'real baby status' or do they just put them back in the box?

BradfordLass72 Fri 22-Mar-19 07:59:58

Oh my goodness, I've just watched some reborn "Mommies' on YouTube doing their daily routine exactly as if these were real babies.
I don't know what to think. Part of me would love to see how these dolls feel and sound (like real babies?) another part of me thinks these ladies have lost touch with reality.

MamaCaz Fri 22-Mar-19 08:09:00

I know it's each to their own, but .......

I can't help thinking that this is yet more proof (as if it were needed) that something must be very wrong with our society.
But (and I know I will need to duck after this) I already feel the same about the number of people who now have multiple pets that they treat like babies,

BlueBelle Fri 22-Mar-19 08:10:18

According to the lady I spoke to who seemed perfectly ok and had children and grandsons (so not grieving or anything) but she obviously had a number of these ‘babies’ in a nursery (her words)
If people like to collect these VERY expensive dolls, lots of people have weird collections, and I can sort of understand that, but taking them for a walk ! Sorry that’s weird
Yes I do think it’s akin to dressing up silly little dogs and putting them in slings round your neck or in pushchairs or handbags
Why not help a real child or baby
I think the world has lost sight of realality

sodapop Fri 22-Mar-19 08:19:31

I agree BlueBelle collecting them is one thing but actually pretending they are real babies is sad. I think these women probably have great sadness in their lives.

I take issue over the 'multiple pets' MamaCaz I have multiple pets which have all been rescued from cruelty or possible euthanasia and now have a happy life.

MamaCaz Fri 22-Mar-19 08:26:10

sodapop
But that was only half of my sentence: If you treat them as dogs - or whatever animal they actually are - and not babies, then what I said wouldn't apply to you.

EllanVannin Fri 22-Mar-19 08:34:51

Something radically wrong. They're either living their childhood days or it's an " abnormal " attention thing but I'd feel most uncomfortable if I ever encountered something like this. A bit stomach-churning.

I've had a big display dolly for years, one that you'd see in a knitting shop and I bought it for £1.50 from a charity shop for GD ( who's 35 now ) and it's here with other toys for the GGC to play with, but it's always been a toy dolly.
I don't like modern dolls !

Riverwalk Fri 22-Mar-19 08:35:19

It does seem very sad - collecting dolls, or whatever, is one thing but taking them out for a walk and tending to them like a real baby is something else.

Treating pets like babies is OK in my book - after all they do do need care and nurturing and are living, breathing sentient beings.

Ginny42 Fri 22-Mar-19 09:06:22

I had no idea this kind of thing was happening. How incredibly sad. Why are they described as re-born?

I wonder how their real families deal with this rather strange obsession.

eazybee Fri 22-Mar-19 09:25:56

I knew of a headmistress many years ago who had a baby doll with a whole range of baby accessories and clothes, who slept in a crib by the side of her bed. It was passed off as a 'collecting hobby', but I think it was simply a sad yearning for a child.