Gransnet forums

Chat

Easter Traditions

(93 Posts)
Oldwoman70 Fri 19-Apr-19 08:16:18

We are all aware of the tradition of not eating meat on Good Friday, but what other traditions do GNs remember from their childhood - I remember my mother telling me you should never do washing on Good Friday

angelic Fri 19-Apr-19 08:30:12

We were only allowed to have Hot Cross Buns on Good Friday.

Oldwoman70 Fri 19-Apr-19 08:33:52

That's different to my childhood - we had them on Easter Sunday - the local bakery would open up especially and there was always a queue!

crazyH Fri 19-Apr-19 08:37:13

Not only did my mother abstain from meat - she also fasted and had just one meal on good Friday and that was a rice soup

Auntieflo Fri 19-Apr-19 08:38:33

Easter eggs on Easter Sunday
I read somewhere, that they were going out to see if the easter bunny had been, today !

Urmstongran Fri 19-Apr-19 08:57:58

Ah Auntieflo I think the reason for that was because the family were over today and wouldn’t be seeing them on Easter Sunday.

Fish tonight for us. Old habits die hard - we are not religious any more.

Anniebach Fri 19-Apr-19 09:04:47

Only Hot Cross Buns

Certaintly no playing outside, no games indoors which involved dice or cards .

12Michael Fri 19-Apr-19 09:23:43

The way things go with me, as to tradition is on Good Friday , Hot Cross Buns, but meal wise its cod in parsley sauce ,mash and peas , as opposed to the normal fish & chips .
Sunday , has always been a roast as I away this will be a menu option in the hotel.
mick

Susan56 Fri 19-Apr-19 09:23:46

We weren’t allowed to play outside either Annie.Sunday rules applied on Good Friday.
We shall be giving out Easter eggs today as our youngest daughter and family will be going home tomorrow.

BradfordLass72 Fri 19-Apr-19 09:27:01

The nicest tradition from my Yorkshire childhood was being greeted on Easter Sunday with, 'He is Risen!' sometimes answered with, 'Halleluia!'
This took the place of the standard 'Hello' or 'Good morning'.

I didn't come from a practising Christian household as my parents seemed to think that just being born English made you a Christian (and Mum was most offended when someone once questioned that! smile)

But I always felt the Easter greeting was honouring the season and the sacrifice in a lovely way.

Auntieflo Fri 19-Apr-19 09:34:57

Urmstongran, apologies. Hope I didn’t upset the apple cart, it’s just that lots of times I have heard that easter eggs were being given on Good Friday.
Have a good weekend with your family but don’t eat too much chocolate.

KatyK Fri 19-Apr-19 09:42:34

I was brought up in a strict Catholic family. I can't remember any tradition on Good Friday but we were made to go to mass on Easter Sunday which was a pain as it was over mile walk each way and we weren't allowed our Easter eggs until we got home.

Mapleleaf Fri 19-Apr-19 09:56:39

Fish on Good Friday, Lamb Easter Sunday.
Hot cross buns, Friday, chocolate eggs on Sunday. Oh and a decorated boiled egg - my aunty used to dye the shells in onion juice, I recall.

ninathenana Fri 19-Apr-19 10:05:13

We always ate fish on Good Friday and mum wouldn't do laundry. I have never heard of not playing outside.

Nanny123 Fri 19-Apr-19 10:28:54

I remember with fondness always getting a new outfit for Easter - like a Sunday best outfit. My dad would take me out to get it - he has such a good taste in clothes and always got my something beautiful to wear

Oldwoman70 Fri 19-Apr-19 10:33:03

Spoke to my brother this morning and it seems I got confused and hot cross buns were on Good Friday and not Easter Sunday (or perhaps we had them all weekend!) blush

angelic Fri 19-Apr-19 10:42:59

Definitely no meat on Good Friday, or any Friday

Hm999 Fri 19-Apr-19 10:44:19

Some years I give up chocolate for Lent, and am asked (particularly by Catholic friends) 'why?'. Finally I have an answer off pat 'to see if I can'.

Legs55 Fri 19-Apr-19 10:51:02

When DD was a little girl our local Bakery opened on Good Friday morning (unlike all the other shops) to sell delicious Hot Cross Buns I still refuse to buy them until Maundy Thursday

Never allowed Easter Eggs until Easter Sunday.

In Yorkshire Good Friday was a normal day but everything closed Easter Monday & Tuesday, very unusual in the days before shops were open 7 days a week. The rest of the UK I believe shops closed Good Friday & Easter Monday.

DoraMarr Fri 19-Apr-19 11:07:36

I was brought up as a Catholic, and on Good Friday we always went to the 3o’clock mass, which was very sombre. All the statues and pictures in the church were covered with purple cloth, apart from the stations of the cross. We fasted, but we were allowed a hot cross bun each. Easter Sunday was almost as exciting as Christmas. We always had new summer dresses and sandals, which we wore even if it was cold, and we had an Easter egg each, which we were given in the morning but not allowed to eat until later. Church was always crowded, with a high mass with singing, and incense, and it took ages because everyone went to communion. Dinner was roast lamb or, if we were very flush, a chicken.

Bigred18 Fri 19-Apr-19 11:09:27

Only ever fish on Good Friday. Strange I know but I am really upset to see people hanging out washing in the complex where I live, the lines are full. Growing up Good Friday was the holiest day of the year to be spent quietly at home. Here in Australia football rules the roost today.

Willow10 Fri 19-Apr-19 11:16:57

When we were kids we only had a brand new dress once a year - for Easter Sunday. The rest of the year it was hand me downs. Mum said you had to have new at Easter, otherwise the birds would sh*t on you. Her words, not mine!

JanaNana Fri 19-Apr-19 11:23:00

In my really young childhood ( late 40s/early 50s) the only shops that actually opened on Good Friday were the bakers for bread and hot cross buns, and fishmongers and fish and chip shops . These would then close just after lunchtime for the rest of the day. Good Friday was a day off for most people with the odd exception and hospitals. Most people where we lived in Yorkshire tended to eat fish on Good Friday regardless of their religion but more of a tradition which carried on within families. The hot cross buns would be had later on at teatime. Some of the adults would give up certain foods ...fasting for Lent they would say, usually this was eggs or maybe meat, not everyone did but it was not unusual at all. Easter Sunday was the day of celebration when the children got their Easter eggs. Many people were still regular church goers then and Easter was much quieter time.We were expected to play quietly and then go to Sunday School and would be given a small religious token to acknowledge the occasion.

crazyH Fri 19-Apr-19 11:23:17

We had a brand new dress for Xmas but I don't think we had one for easter

Growing0ldDisgracefully Fri 19-Apr-19 11:26:24

I'm not religious but saw a sobering picture posted on Facebook today by a lovely friend, a picture of the pavement trodden by Jesus to his crucifixion.