Gransnet forums

Chat

Goodbye M&S

(49 Posts)
watermeadow Fri 17-May-19 19:36:25

I used to buy all my clothes and my children’s in Marks. Their clothes were well designed and well made, passed down through all the family.
I’ve bought less and less in recent years. The jumpers go bobbley, the styles are peculiar, the quality is the same as Primark’s.
Today I went there and sadly said goodbye. My toasted tea cake came with the meanest possible smear of butter and I walked past clothes I wouldn’t have wanted even if free. The tee shirts were transparent. Cheap rubbish from third world sweatshops.
I did buy a nice chocolate Swiss roll but Marks cannot live by cake alone.

labazsisslowlygoingmad Fri 17-May-19 19:41:24

its a shame but i know what you mean. going to marks years ago was quite a thing. my mum used to go there for occasions such as weddings as it was a 'posh' shop but you knew you were getting quality that lasted. i like there food but its too dear to justify

Ilovecheese Fri 17-May-19 19:45:13

Same here. I have worked in factories that made clothes for M and S when they made their clothes in Britain, there is no comparison with the quality standards of then and now.

Urmstongran Fri 17-May-19 19:47:44

Same here. The end of an era, sadly.

I think they’d be better just selling food, maybe nightwear and underwear. Ditch the rest.

Sara65 Fri 17-May-19 19:48:14

Strangely enough, I bought two skirts in there recently, probably the first clothes I’ve bought in there (apart from knickers) in twenty years, I’m quite pleased with them, if a bit on the big side!

MawBroonsback Fri 17-May-19 19:52:22

I have just bought a very nice white linen/cotton big shirt for £27.50
There are still gems!

Maggiemaybe Fri 17-May-19 19:55:08

I’ve hust bought a linen blend shift in a rather nice jade green, and with £5 off dresses that weekend I’m pleased with it. To find out whether it’ll last as well as the stone linen M & S shift I was wearing today, I’ll have to hang on for another 30 years! grin

Maggiemaybe Fri 17-May-19 19:55:48

For hust, read just.

Grannyboots1 Fri 17-May-19 19:59:56

My Marks closed down last weekend, and although I mainly bought food I am really going to miss it. Also the town has lost its meeting place for 'ladies' who meet for coffee etc. The Costas and Starbucks don't cut it.

Lazigirl Fri 17-May-19 20:04:17

I think M&S measures up well to other shops in terms of quality. All high street shops quality seems to have declined in recent years because they are concerned with cheapness, competition and fast turnover to appeal to the transient fashion market. I think M&S also are reasonably ethical, in their sourcing, but still need to improve. Clothing has a carbon footprint second only to oil, so I think we should buy ethically and buy less generally.

Jane10 Fri 17-May-19 20:14:46

I'm sitting here dressed head to foot in M&S clothes having just finished my M&S supper! Just have to finish my lovely little bottle of Rose bought from guess where? M&S!

Liz46 Fri 17-May-19 20:21:16

I went to M&S for t shirts. They were awful and I didn't buy anything.

BBbevan Fri 17-May-19 20:56:28

Yes same here. M&S haven't learned by their mistakes have they? Only thing we now buy is an occasional £12 meal deal and they are getting predictable and less for more money

luluaugust Fri 17-May-19 20:59:21

I've also bought one of the linen shirts but I was looking for a dress, the materials are all so thick and heavy for summer, back to Seasalt, Monsoon etc.

Jane10 Fri 17-May-19 21:12:57

I bought 2 lovely M&S dresses for summer. Lovely Indian cotton ethically sourced. I've always noticed a huge disparity in stock between M&Ss. The local managers must select what seems most popular in their area. In our local branch there are never any trousers in size long. I order them online for click and collect. Just collected 2 more this week.

Natgrannie Fri 17-May-19 21:35:53

Totally agree! Every high street store has gone way down on the quality! Maybe it’s cause of Primark, cheap clothing in a throw away world! Next is the same, Debenhams is ok, but now I shop online most of the time ???

SparklyGrandma Fri 17-May-19 21:39:49

They have some lovely linen dresses this summer, we could have maybe done with them last year. However another High St store has even better linen dresses. B** **E.

annodomini Fri 17-May-19 21:42:45

My two favourite summer skirts are from M&S - by way of Ebay. I will buy M&S own brand toiletries, cosmetics and skin care because they are all cruelty free. I have found a moisturiser which is just as good as far more expensive and animal-tested brands.

MiniMoon Fri 17-May-19 22:01:19

I went to M&S for smart black trousers. They had all sorts, different styles and lengths, but none of them I considered as smart. I eventually bought a pair in Debenhams, but I might have difficulty doing that in the near future.

showergelfresh Fri 17-May-19 22:10:34

Still can't work out what you mean Sparkly

Mamissimo Fri 17-May-19 22:12:22

We went to M & S last week for a squander and were amazed to find labels all over the place saying “more styles and sizes online” ! The shops aren’t doing well but more will close if they’re driving their customers towards online....we bought nothing.

The T shirts at £6.50 were so thin they’d never make dusters, there were posters instore promoting straight cut chinos for men - which a manager told us aren’t made! He said he’d brought it to the attention of head office twice but they still hadn’t sent a corrected poster.

They’ve stopped giving you a one bite shortbread with coffee....

Sadly, for us, they’re history!

SparklyGrandma Fri 17-May-19 23:56:32

showergirlfresh Bon Marche

Maggiemaybe Sat 18-May-19 00:04:41

Thanks, SparklyGrandma. I’m rather partial to a linen dress, I’ll be having a look in there. smile

callgirl1 Sat 18-May-19 00:49:45

We said goodbye to our M&S 3 weeks ago when it closed down, but I must admit to not going in there all that often, it`s too expensive.

GabriellaG54 Sat 18-May-19 01:07:17

Well watermeadow, I disagree.
I shop a lot at both Primark and M&S as recently as last Wednesday when I bought two more £9.50 long sleeve t-shirts (certainly and definitely not 'see though' by any stretch of the imagination) plus 2prs shorts and a bag.
Their children's clothes are beautiful and affordable and I have spent more than £500 on women's clothes in Marks in the past 2 months, none of the items topping £35.
Their lingerie is wonderful with a huge range of patterns, colours, styles and sizes. Homewear and food are excellent value.
Primark doesn't cater to the same demographic but I spend a lot in there on clothes and some homeware. It's a constantly changing range which has some good finds. I've stocked up on leggings at £2.80 and camis £1.80, a jumpsuit, summer peg trousers in several colours £8 and 3 summer dresses plus bathmats towels and mattress/ pillow protectors, all well within anyone's pocket.
H&M and Zara are also favourites.