Gransnet forums

Chat

Delight

(90 Posts)
DoraMarr Sat 18-May-19 18:04:37

A columnist in the Guardian, Hannah Jane Parkinson, writes each week about delight. She takes her inspiration from JB Priestly’s little illustrated book “Delight,” which is itself a delight. I’m wondering what others find delightful, (other than family moments.) Today I saw a little family of ducks, including seven ducklings. I last saw them a few weeks ago, and assumed the young had been eaten by other birds, or foxes or rats. But there they were, the ducklings now with brown feathers, more teenage ducks than ducklings. I also find the smell of rain on pavements after a dry spell- petrichor- delightful, and that moment before a concert when the leader stands up and the orchestra tunes up, and the whole concert hall, musicians and audience, feels that sense of anticipation. What delights you?

KatyK Sat 18-May-19 18:08:50

Today as I walked over the canal bridge at the back of our house, a heron flew over my head. That was delightful.

Oldandverygrey Sat 18-May-19 18:11:15

My delightful moment was watching my husband progress from a wheelchair to a walking aid, tears of joy.

kittylester Sat 18-May-19 18:23:46

I watched two swans flying this morning. I am always amazed that they look so wonderful in flight but look so heavy taking off.

KatyK Sat 18-May-19 18:42:14

Smelling newly mown (mowed?) grass, hearing children and babies laughing, walking near rivers, lakes and canals.

seacliff Sat 18-May-19 18:53:07

Yes I love to see swans taking off at The Mere at Thorpeness. Their wings are really beating and they are only just above the water. You think they will never do it, then suddenly off they go. Stunning.

I also love to hear the honking of geese, I look up and see them flying high and in formation.

kathsue Sat 18-May-19 18:56:17

I was gardening this afternoon and a robin kept coming to perch on the trellis next to me.

Mapleleaf Sat 18-May-19 18:56:25

I found it delightful yesterday watching both a young sparrow and a young starling, recently fledged, being fed by their parents in our garden. Wonderful!

kathsue Sat 18-May-19 18:59:34

I watched a puppy chasing two swans across a beach once. There was a collective sigh of relief when the birds took off just in time.

grannyactivist Sat 18-May-19 19:00:07

I'm always delighted when I unexpectedly come across a loved one as I'm out and about - especially if it's The Wonderful Man. ?

Moocow Sat 18-May-19 20:08:41

Cooler weather after a heatwave

MamaCaz Sat 18-May-19 20:16:27

A few days ago it was my ten month old DGD greeting me with her beautiful smile and actually struggling to get out of her daddy's arms to get to me. She finally likes me ?

Much longer ago, I remember the delight of watching a kingfisher only a yard or so away from me - I was in our narrowboat and it was on the roof of the one alongside us.
It was unaware that I was there, and stayed there for several minutes. Beautiful.

Washerwoman Sat 18-May-19 20:21:25

How green and reinvigorated the garden looked this week after the first shower of rain in several days.Apart from saving me the job of watering the plants looked lush ,nd everything smelt fresh.Delightful.

Ginny42 Sat 18-May-19 20:22:50

The wrens flitting to and fro and making a racket. I wondered if the chicks had hatched and the adults were coaxing them to fly the nest, but I didn't see any very tiny ones.
Any time I see a robin.
The sunlight through the canopy of leaves in the woods.
My DGS's face when he sees me.

MiniMoon Sat 18-May-19 20:30:00

Going outside at dusk and watching the pipistrelles flying out of my roof. It delights me every Spring to know that they have overwintered well, and have returned to give birth and bring up their baby.

lovebeigecardigans1955 Sat 18-May-19 20:35:02

Wild flowers in a hedgerow or woodland. Seeing a blackbird bobbing about on the lawn.

Feelingmyage55 Sat 18-May-19 20:51:21

My next door neighbour was tickling her baby yesterday and I could have just bottled that giggle to listen to over and over again.
The dawn chorus.
The phone ringing and it is my family calling.

Telly Sat 18-May-19 22:30:25

Blue skies and the fields at the moment filled with wild flowers.

Sophiesox Sat 18-May-19 23:08:46

A beautiful little Northumbrian deer standing in the middle of the lawn of the country hotel where we were staying for my son’s wedding last weekend. Early morning surprise when the housekeeper opened the front door. He looked at us for a couple of seconds then took off, leaping through the woodland.

Cherrytree59 Sun 19-May-19 00:03:55

Walking over the canal bridge on my way home from yoga, I looked down just in time to see 4 wee cygnets slide bravely down the bank and into the water for a quick swim, as the proud Mum and Dad swans looked on from side. sunshine

BBbevan Sun 19-May-19 02:15:56

This evening I was watching a programme on Bryan Ferry. A fox walked down the garden. Stopped looked for quite a few moments into the sitting room. It looked as if he was watching the television. Then he / she trotted away.

eazybee Sun 19-May-19 08:53:08

Walking on West Wittering beach last week my companion and I realised that for ten minutes at least we were the only people on the beach as far as the eye could see. A delight for someone who for most of her life has only been able to access beaches during the holidays.

Witzend Sun 19-May-19 09:01:34

I've been sorting out our poor neglected garden nearly all week, and there's a blackbird who's been singing his little head off nearby, for much of that time. Who needs Classic FM when there's that?
Also the robin, who keeps a beady eye on wherever I'm weeding or tidying up, and zooms in to hoover up the wigglies.

sodapop Sun 19-May-19 09:01:59

I agree feelingmyage babies giggles are so infectious and always cheer me up.

I take my dogs out early in the morning, I live in a rural area so no traffic or people around, the sound of birdsong as we walk is wonderful and never fails to lift my spirits.

Sulis Sun 19-May-19 09:11:20

Getting on the scales and loosing weight!!