Gransnet forums

Chat

That telling the time thing ?

(45 Posts)
MawBroonsback Mon 20-May-19 07:14:09

You know that thing where you set your alarm and wake up two minutes before it is due to go off?
Or you wake up and think “Hmm, must be about 4.30” - and it is!
This morning I woke up and thought it must be about half past six, lay there for a moment or two then rethought and decided maybe quarter past. Turned over to look at clock radio and it was - 6.16.

Why and how does that happen? ??

tanith Mon 20-May-19 07:18:37

I have no idea how but it’s been the same for me, it makes setting an alarm a bit pointless unless I have a plane to catch then I take no chances ?

Iam64 Mon 20-May-19 07:35:58

It's a gift Maw, I have it as well. Mr iam often asks me what time it is, then expresses amazement when I know without checking my watch.
Lee Child's hero, Jack Reacher is another with the gift. He can go to sleep anywhere, set his inner alarm and wake as instructed. Mind you, he has other gifts.....

gillybob Mon 20-May-19 07:44:27

My body clock works the other way around Maw and I wake up suddenly thinking “oh please god don’t let it be 7.00 am.....please let it only be 5.30 and I can have another little snooze”

MawBroonsback Mon 20-May-19 07:47:21

But you know inside Gillybob - don’t you? hmm

Beechnut Mon 20-May-19 08:20:26

I always guess by how much light is in the bedroom.
My brother and I were having a conversation about this a short while ago and then after a bit he said “I’ve got to go I think it’s about teatime” ?

Bathsheba Mon 20-May-19 08:50:39

I wake several times in the night and it's always a sort of game with me to see how close I am to knowing the time. Usually very close.

Only very occasionally, if I wake up after a deep sleep early on in the night, am I caught out, thinking it's about 4.00 when it's only 12.45. And that is a very weird feeling!

Lisagran Mon 20-May-19 08:50:47

Ah, interesting - I almost always know the time, especially in the night. I thought it was the same for everyone!

Urmstongran Mon 20-May-19 08:51:33

Absolutely Maw it’s weird. Just did the same this morning - set the alarm on my phone last night as my husband has an appointment for a blood test - I woke before it went off. Always do! I shall do the same for Wednesday as we are off to the airport and need a taxi at 7:30am but I know setting it will just be for back up.

I agree about looking at the time in the middle of the night, it’s quite witchy really!
?‍♀️

Anniebach Mon 20-May-19 09:20:26

Not me, I don’t seem to have any idea of the time

harrigran Mon 20-May-19 09:29:57

I always wake just before the alarm, I put it down to the fact that the clock gives a click two minutes before the alarm goes off.
We never even had an alarm clock when we were young, I got up when I heard my father moving about.

MamaCaz Mon 20-May-19 09:30:24

I used to be great at knowing the time in the night, but seem to have lost the ability in the last five or so years. As nothing environmental has changed, not even the bedroom curtains, it must be me!

Willow500 Mon 20-May-19 09:34:55

I'm always amazed my cat knows what time it is - food time! grin But I've also got the knack of guessing the time in the middle of the night and being right!

Grammaretto Mon 20-May-19 09:50:10

I'm the same. There's more going on than we know about and can explain.
I get premonitions and just need to think of someone and they phone or when the phone rings I can sense who it is.
Most coincidences can be explained away but I prefer to believe in something intangible out there.........

aggie Mon 20-May-19 09:54:41

Does anyone do the bump thing to make you get up instead of an alarm clock ? Before going to sleep , bump your head on the pillow seven times if you want to waken at 7am .

EllanVannin Mon 20-May-19 10:08:20

I'm another oddity who knows the time. Another thing that happens frequently is when I'm writing an email or letter and have the news on at the same time I can guarantee that whatever " unusual " word I've written it will be repeated/mentioned by a speaker. Many a time I've said to myself " I've just said that ".

georgia101 Mon 20-May-19 10:15:05

My grandfather never had an alarm clock all his working life, and was never once late for work. He just always woke up at the right time. They gave him a clock when he retired which we all thought was very amusing.

Whitewavemark2 Mon 20-May-19 10:15:44

My dogs can do that as well. He always knows the time for his walk. 9am and 3 pm on the button every day. Unless he’s already out if course?.

Weirdly he “makes” his bed every night at 7.45pm.

Whitewavemark2 Mon 20-May-19 10:16:04

Dog - one is enough!!

winterwhite Mon 20-May-19 10:20:15

I always know the time too, maybe more likely in women than in men. But curious because when you think, wanting or needing to know the precise time is very recent in evolutionary terms.

Miep1 Mon 20-May-19 10:25:08

I'm strange too, often knowing the time without referral to phone, clock, watch etc

inishowen Mon 20-May-19 10:27:36

When i was a teenager my friend didn't have an alarm clock. She said when she had to wake up early she would tap her head on the pillow 6 times for 6am or 7 times for 7am. She swore it worked every time!

fizzers Mon 20-May-19 10:30:49

If I wake up a few minutes before the alarm clock I feel robbed!

lizzypopbottle Mon 20-May-19 11:42:47

I think there's more that's instinctive or innate about us than we realise and I'm a great believer in mind over matter. If I tell myself I'll have a good, undisturbed night's sleep and wake up at 8.30am, I usually do, within a few minutes either way. I wish I could remember to tell myself every night!

Witzend Mon 20-May-19 12:00:37

I'd never rely on me to wake myself up! If it's really important, I set two alarms, one an old fashioned mechanical clock with a really loud ring.

I once mistakenly set the alarm for 4.30 pm instead of a.m., when a dd and a few of her student friends were staying over before an early flight to an ultra cheapie package holiday. This was pre mobile phone days, so none of them had set an alarm.

Eventually woke up about 45 minutes after the set time - what a panic to get out in record time and zoom to Gatwick - if they'd missed their flight they'd have lost the holiday altogether, unless they'd shelled out for another flight.

Never again! Hence 2 alarms, and checking very carefully that I've set the right time!