Gransnet forums

Chat

Agoraphobia

(34 Posts)
Rufus2 Wed 22-May-19 14:46:04

Evening Annie; Here it is! Hope you find it useful! Cheers!

Rufus2 Wed 22-May-19 14:48:44

Try again!!
www.betterhealth.vic.gov.au/health/ConditionsAndTreatments/agoraphobia#.XOKmd3WZu00.email

Anniebach Wed 22-May-19 15:14:50

Rufus How kind, thank you,

All is most interesting but two words summed up my problem ‘avoidance behaviour ‘, it was avoidance by choice which led on to ‘irrational fear’, just no one has said that, just ‘anxiety’ or ‘irrational fear ‘ .

Again thank you x

Fennel Wed 22-May-19 19:10:41

That's kind of you, Rufus.
I hope you're beginning to overcome your fears now Annie. I got the impression you were going out in the gardeden occasionally, for a short distance.
I have a friend who has a similar problem - she does go out, but only a short walk then panics and needs to dash home.

Anniebach Wed 22-May-19 20:40:49

It was so kind .

Fennel I am trying ( very trying) had great plans to have a small garden at front of my bungalow and park Fred in the back garden , sitting out the front I may meet some neighbours. Been living here over 2 years and still don’t know anyone. As avoiding people by choice got me into this wretched phobia I hope meeting people close to my safe place will help.

Doodle Wed 22-May-19 23:45:24

annie I suffered from severe claustrophobia for over 40 years. Panic attacks, the works. Even the thought of being in a confined space could being on a panic attack to the point of nausea, heart pounding, sweating and fainting. 40 years, no lifts, no trains, no planes, no backseat of cars, no rooms with locks. Unable to use a toilet away from home as I couldn’t shut the door.
I worked at it, one small step at a time. It took time.
I can now go in a lift and cope. I have been on the underground ...in a tube train ?. It can be done annie. Don’t give up hope. Just one small step at a time x

Anniebach Thu 23-May-19 09:02:17

Doodle thank you x. 40 years ? Yet you overcome it. Then I can

Luckygirl Thu 23-May-19 10:56:27

You can indeed annie - stay strong.x

Anniebach Thu 23-May-19 12:09:03

Thank you Luckygirl

Mycatisahacker Thu 23-May-19 12:21:00

flowers to you Annie it’s a cruel and hideous condition xxx

Anniebach Thu 23-May-19 12:27:31

Thank you Mycat, it’s so difficult to go from a person who loved roaming the mountains to a person fearful of an area in the middle of a Cul de sac. Yes it is cruel.

Squiffy Thu 23-May-19 12:37:45

Annie you're such a strong person and have come through so much. You will get the better of this, even if it takes a while. flowers

Anniebach Thu 23-May-19 13:43:35

Thank you Squiffy, 3rd year I am missing the Hay Festival , ?

Auntieflo Thu 23-May-19 13:48:13

Annie, baby steps, we are all rooting for you to overcome your phobias. How kind people are, to try and help.
Have you yet managed to get out on the faithful Fred?
Sending hands across the ether, as it were, to give you a lift.
flowers

Anniebach Thu 23-May-19 15:27:12

Thank you Auntieflo

Decided Monday evening to sell Fred. Tuesday I found out
a gentleman from Red Cross gives six weeks support for scooter users to gain confidence, Fred stays ?

Fennel Thu 23-May-19 16:59:39

Annie you have to decide in your own mind what you want to achieve. All we can do is support you in what you decide, but we can't change you. The only person you can change is yourself.
Sometimes I just don't want to go out again in this big bad world.

DanniRae Thu 23-May-19 17:07:50

That's good news Annie about the Red Cross gentleman. I have a good feeling about it! grin flowers

Anniebach Thu 23-May-19 18:36:04

Thank you Danni, wish I had known about the help from the Red Cross last Summer but no matter , I know now , am on a waiting list

Auntieflo Thu 23-May-19 20:09:20

Oh Annie, that is such good news, re the help from the Red Cross chap. Onwards and upwards ☺️

Doodle Thu 23-May-19 20:21:16

annie it was really 40 years. I thought I would never get to grips with it and to be honest for about 39 of those years I didn’t even consider trying. It was easier to avoid all situations that might make me panic than to even attempt to combat it. The most difficult part was actually the inability to go into a pubic toilet and shut the door and lock it. I was so terrified of being shut in, which would of course mean that I would suffocate (genuine fear of many claustrophobics). My panic levels were very high. I have written this so that you can know how ever long it takes you can not only overcome your phobia but you can get to a point where it isn’t a battle and fight all the time. Every year my tolerance improves and I would say in most cases now I cope really well. Lifts, tube trains, planes AND going to the loo and locking the door. I can do it all now. I hope and pray that you have the strength with God’s help to try and overcome your phobia and enjoy your garden and the outside world again x

Anniebach Thu 23-May-19 20:33:11

Auntieflo yes, onwards and upwards x I was going to advertise Fred for sale on Monday evening on our local
‘For Sale’ site. It was a bit late to apply for permission to post
so left it until Tuesday, the day I heard about The Red Cross,
coincidence? No.

Doodle thank you, I know only I can change me but encouragement certainly helps so much x

Squiffy Fri 24-May-19 00:31:53

coincidence? No.

It was meant to be, Annie.

DanniRae Fri 24-May-19 07:39:23

Doodle - so very pleased for you that you have overcome your fears flowers

Rufus2 Fri 24-May-19 09:10:54

Decided Monday evening to sell Fred
Annie; don't ever think of doing that to Fred! You'll regret it every time you see someone riding a red(?) scooter, thinking that it's Fred. He's your best bet for getting out and about in comfort and safety; how would you achieve that without him? Not in a wheelchair, that's for sure! sad
Freda has a cheap mobile phone always charged up o/night and a roadside breakdown assist policy, so we feel fully safe and confident where ever we are.! smile
Intrigued by the Red X help. What's involved?

Anniebach Fri 24-May-19 09:14:07

Rufas Fred is blue , what’s a ‘Red X’ ?