Gransnet forums

Chat

Delicious!

(92 Posts)
DoraMarr Tue 28-May-19 18:36:49

The thread about salads got me thinking about the food I eat today compared with in my childhood. We have so many different varieties of food now, and so many restaurants to choose from, serving cuisine from all over the world. When I was a child we only ever went to cafeterias in department stores, and they seemed to serve the sort of dreary food we had at home ( my mother was not a good cook.) I remember watching a man serving himself to liver, boiled potatoes and cabbage, and thinking “but he’s a grownup, he doesn’t have to eat that!” I decided that when I became an adult I would only ever eat puddings.
I expect lots of gns have fond memories of delicious home cooked meals, but sadly I come from a long line of uninterested cooks!

Bbarb Tue 28-May-19 18:48:52

I was born before WW2 so have memories of rationing, and I expect your parents were from around that era too, rationing wasn't lifted until the 1950s and we were all used to a restricted diet.
I often wonder how my mother managed on 2oz of butter (marg) per week per person! (not sure how much 2oz is in metric ...... 50g???)
Same with sugar, I didn't even see a banana till I was 9 years old, strawberries were in season for about a week and we grew our vegs which were covered in caterpillars and slugs because we couldn't buy pest killer. I forget the amount of the meat ration but it was so little we only had meat once a week on Sunday. No wonder they were uninspired cooks! And they didn't have much time to teach us (their children) in case we wasted the precious food.

Sara65 Tue 28-May-19 19:07:06

I was born after the war, so things were more plentiful, but I have awful memories of childhood food

Awful roast dinners with grey meat and soggy veg, dreadful dry, grey cottage pie, stews with fatty meat! Yuck! I still hate meat to this day

My granny used to make a quite revolting pea and ham soup, also apple dumplings, suet pudding! Pure stodge!

I used to be sat at the table for hours, and if I made too much fuss, it would be brought out again at tea time!

DoraMarr Tue 28-May-19 19:36:01

Ah yes, I remember a very fatty lamb stew being set before me at breakfast. I think I made so much fuss they just gave up.
I have never eaten lamb stew since.

Gonegirl Tue 28-May-19 20:08:01

I remember treacle tart, sticky delicious 'cakes' made with cornflakes and golden syrup, mushrooms picked from country walks, cooked with bacon, stews which were tasty apart from meat which I hated. We were poor but they were good cooks in those days.

You were unlucky Sarah.

Sara65 Tue 28-May-19 20:08:18

My mother must have had more stamina than yours Dora, she never gave up!

Gonegirl Tue 28-May-19 20:08:41

Bread and lard with sugar on it was my best breakfast.

Septimia Tue 28-May-19 20:09:09

I grew up in the fifties with my mum gaining help with meals from my paternal grandmother who had brought up 4 children.
I loved 'curried rice' (my paternal grandfather had been in Sri Lanka so the idea came from there) made with mince and pudding rice (all that was available) and served with mashed potato - very tasty. Also liver and bacon casserole, stew, bacon pudding with parsley sauce, roast or boiled breast of lamb. All mostly economical dishes.
And puddings... steam chocolate sponge with chocolate custard, rice pudding, bread-and-butter pudding, bread pudding.
However, my mum's greasy roast potatoes put me off them for years - until I found I could do better when I made them!

Septimia Tue 28-May-19 20:10:10

Oh yes, you've reminded me Gonegirl - bread and dripping. Yum!

midgey Tue 28-May-19 20:11:25

DoraMarr my father told me he visited his 90 year old grandmother and she was eating rice pudding, he decided there was no point in living to that age!

EllanVannin Tue 28-May-19 20:12:10

My mum was a fantastic cook and I never remember having anything inedible except any fat on meat which made me bawk and still does to this day. Veg was home grown along with apple trees ,raspberry canes and gooseberry bushes which were in the garden.

During the war we had a lot of tinned stuff which an uncle brought off a ship ( Cunard ) he was working on sailing to and from the USA. I remember the ketchup from there. We didn't seem to go without and neither parent ever spoke of hardship or food shortage. I know mum could rustle up anything to make a meal so I guess that's how we all got by.

Sara65 Tue 28-May-19 20:12:30

I think I might have been Gonegirl, one of my grandfathers was a butcher, and I think we had all the scraggy bits, I loathe meat!

NotSpaghetti Tue 28-May-19 20:15:25

I remember watching a young Italian man spin pizza in the 1960s in a new little pizzeria in my local town. It was mesmerising and totally strange.

Born just after rationing I think we ate well - but I never really liked meat unless it was drowned in gravy and cut very very thin.

Sara65 Tue 28-May-19 20:17:54

Another disgusting thing
Stuffed Hearts!

GabriellaG54 Tue 28-May-19 20:46:36

When I was little we lived first on a farm and then on an USAF base in the South of England and of course/n there was no rationing. That, (perhaps and luckily) is why I've been disgustingly healthy all my life.
I'm a veggie but not nut roast n lentils.
The food today seems to be either messy plates with chia seeds and lentils and charred lettuce etc or sous-vide meat tasting of the forest floor with pea-shoots and curly kale crisps.
Cheap food dolled up on a huge wrist-breaking plate under a smoke-filled dome.
I like food to look recognisable and a decent plateful.
Who would pay good money for a main consisting of cubes of belly pork with peas and mint???

GabriellaG54 Tue 28-May-19 20:47:06

on an on a

MiniMoon Tue 28-May-19 22:48:27

My mother would but a joint of meat on a Saturday for a traditional Sunday roast dinner. My father always carved the meat into thin slices. The leftovers were then eaten cold, or made into a stew on Monday, sometimes my mother got the mincer out, screwed it to a chair and minced up the meat. The mincer always fascinated me!I
We had soup and a pudding when my Dad was on a short week (no overtime).
I remember the silence and concentration at the table the first time my mother made spaghetti bolognese. The recipe was brought back from London by my cousin who went there to work as a miliner.

MawBroonsback Tue 28-May-19 23:08:12

GG, I thought you said you were brought up in a leafy suburb of Liverpool where your father was a headmaster?
Or was it the council estate near Formby?
Some of us are having trouble keeping up.

crazyH Tue 28-May-19 23:18:16

Maw ?

CanadianGran Wed 29-May-19 00:09:11

My mother was a very good, but plain cook. British food, but French flavours (from Jersey with French background).
I remember having pasta for the first time as a child in the early 70's...so exotic! Also we had one Chinese restaurant in town so had chow mein for the first time then as well.
We have such a wonderful variety of food to choose from now. And strawberries any time of year!

Sara65 Wed 29-May-19 06:55:04

You could tell the day of the week by what was for supper, never any variation.

Sunday teatime was possibly the worst, a bowl of rice pudding and a slice of bread and butter had to be eaten before a slice of cake. I hardly ever got to the cake, and if I did I felt too sick to eat it!

freesia Wed 29-May-19 06:58:33

I also remember the stuffed hearts with horror, with tubes poking out! and we had to eat the whole thing!

kittylester Wed 29-May-19 07:03:19

My mum was a very plain cook though she did become more adventurous when Jimmy Young started broadcasting his Recipe of the Day.

My dad was an instinctive and adventurous cook (his mother was a French trained pastry chef) who threw stuff in a pan and produced lovely meals. Apart from his jugged hare, which I could never face.

Sara65 Wed 29-May-19 07:13:19

I remember my first spaghetti bolognese Minimoon, we had it at a friends house, I’d never seen or tasted anything like it!

These friends parents were the very height of sophistication, they danced to music from their record player, and smoked at the same time, so cool!

J52 Wed 29-May-19 07:23:45

My mother was a dreadful cook, but enjoyed eating good food, so although plain meat and vegetables they were good quality.
Puddings were either fruit and cream or bought.
I made it a mission in life to learn to cook well and interestingly!