Gransnet forums

Chat

How old is too old?

(138 Posts)
Jeanlizzie Fri 31-May-19 10:16:04

I live in a very rural area , my husband drives, but i don't, which was never a problem due to a good bus service
Since the beginning of the year we have no buses at all ( thanks council) and I'm dependant on my husband if i want to leave the house
I'm seriously considering to learn to drive but my daughter keeps telling me im too old (I'm mid 50s)
What do you lovely grans think ?

henetha Fri 31-May-19 10:18:14

Too old in your mid-fifties? Never! You are absolutely not too old... give it a go, it will transform your life. smile

ditzyme Fri 31-May-19 10:20:22

How rude, too old to learn to drive at 54? Wait till she's 54 and see if she considers it old. You go and learn to drive, if it's what you want to do. There are lots of instructors out there, and as long as you have one where there is rapport, where you can have a laugh as well, you will enjoy it. Go on... dare you!

gillybob Fri 31-May-19 10:21:41

I say go for it jeanlizzie ! My dad was offered driving lessons as part of a redundancy package aged 60. He refused saying he was too old but bitterly regretted his decision shortly afterwards as it could have made his and my mums life so much easier. As it stands I am the only driver in the family apart from my son and husband and I am expected to drive everyone everywhere. Just do it ! You won’t regret it .

vena11 Fri 31-May-19 10:21:52

You are never too old to learn anything . go for it girl . {smile}

leyla Fri 31-May-19 10:21:55

Good grief of course you’re not too old. Warning: it is very hard to learn but STICK AT IT! You will do it!

sodapop Fri 31-May-19 10:22:04

Never, don't listen to your daughter.
I know several ladies who have passed their tests at a more mature age. Good luck.

Sunlover Fri 31-May-19 10:23:16

I'd definitely give learning to drive a go. I learnt many years ago in a manual car but now drive an automatic. If I was learning now I'd certainly learn in an automatic as I find it so much easier. It seems a shame to be dependent on your husband for lifts.. Good luck.

Bopeep14 Fri 31-May-19 10:23:44

You are never too old my friend learnt to drive in her mid sixties as her husband died. She passed first time.
I believe the theory test is quite difficult now so you may need to study a bit.
I have a driving licence but don't drive i hate it.
We live on a good bus route so i have no issues with getting places.
Was looking forward to getting my bus pass but the age has now gone up so wont get it for a few more years yet.

Grandma70s Fri 31-May-19 10:24:55

My sister-in-law’s mother learnt to drive when she was over 60. Her husband had died, and she realised that if she didn’t learn to drive she would hardly ever see her daughter. She didn’t find it too difficult, and I think she passed her test first time.

varian Fri 31-May-19 10:27:51

My MIL learned to drive and passed her test at the age of sixty but never drove much because her husband insisted on always doing the driving.

Then when she was 76 he was instructed to stop driving because of his health so she took over the driving, and continued to do all the driving for the next ten years.

KatyK Fri 31-May-19 10:30:40

Go for it. I don't drive and have regretted it.

Missfoodlove Fri 31-May-19 10:30:40

Do it! To learn a new skill is so fulfilling and a driving licence will be so liberating.
I am sorry your family are not supportive.
Prove them all wrong.

Eglantine21 Fri 31-May-19 10:30:46

Mid fifties? You’re just a spring chicken!

Of course you can learn to drive.

Book those lessons today!

Nonnie Fri 31-May-19 10:50:32

As they all said!

If you are physically able I can't see what is stopping you. If I didn't drive I would do it now and I'm older (quite a bit) than you! Go for it.

kittylester Fri 31-May-19 11:07:35

My mum was mid 60s when she passed her test. Fo for it.

Googes41 Fri 31-May-19 11:10:47

Really important that you learn,I know ladies driving in their late 80’s. you risk isolation if you are ever on your own.Go for it you have 30 years of independence to go!!!

MamaCaz Fri 31-May-19 11:17:38

Jeanlizzie
You won't know unless you try.
Even if you decide after a lot of lessons that it's not for you, it's still worth giving it a go, isn't it?
If you don't even try, you might regret it forever. On the other hand, you might find that you are a natural and love it. smile

Grannybags Fri 31-May-19 11:21:00

As everyone else has said - go for it!!

crazyH Fri 31-May-19 11:29:51

Not at all - mid 50s - you are a spring chicken. I depended on my husband to drive us everywhere. Decided to learn to drive.
I passed my driving test when I was 45. So liberating !! My husband left me a couple of years after that- we got divorced. I can't imagine what my life would have been like if I couldn't drive.Being able to drive is the best and most useful qualification I have ever had......go for it ..

annodomini Fri 31-May-19 11:57:59

Mid-50s! A youngster. Don't listen to your DD. What does she know? A driving licence would be a lifeline for you and enable you to join group, go out with friends and discover new interests. One piece of advice: do your learning on a non-automatic. If you learn on an automatic car, you won't be allowed (or able) to drive the stick-shift type which you might have to do in case of some emergency or other. If you do learn on a conventional vehicle, you will be licensed to drive all kinds - including electric which is the way the future is going. Good luck.

janeainsworth Fri 31-May-19 12:01:51

I’m lost for words.
You should tell your DD she’s too young to drink alcohol/go on holiday by herself/wear high heels/stay out after 10pm.

Seriously I would actually be very upset if my DDs told me I was too old to do anything and I’m 70 this year.

Allegretto Fri 31-May-19 12:10:39

I think that young people can be a bit ageist, feeling that they know more and are better at things than people over 50. I made this comment to my husband a while ago and he pointed out that we may have been the same at that age. You are absolutely not too old to learn to drive. Go for it!

Auntieflo Fri 31-May-19 12:13:19

My mum learned to drive when she was mid 60’s, and loved it, and she was a good driver. So, go on and do it, you won’t regret it.

maddyone Fri 31-May-19 12:15:00

No, you’re not too old, go ahead and learn.