Gransnet forums

Chat

Oh No - Ant and Dec on M&S checkout!

(48 Posts)
Hampshirehog Wed 05-Jun-19 12:24:17

I recently bought some food in our local M&S and decided to go to the self-service checkout only to be greeted by the voices of Ant and Dec when I pressed 'Start'! I still can't believe it and I, for one, am really not a fan and feel that, again, M&S have got it wrong. What do you think?

Gonegirl Wed 05-Jun-19 12:30:37

Oh my gosh! Can you choose which celeb you get? Are the tills labelled clearly as to which one you are getting? I would run a mile from Ant and Dec. In fact, from most celebs. grin

shysal Wed 05-Jun-19 12:53:50

Ant and Dec did the voice-overs on the M&S adverts around Britain's Got Talent, so expect that is the connection.
For me they would be better than the Pound Shop check out where the voice sounds like an American gangster!

Hampshirehog Wed 05-Jun-19 12:54:52

No you couldn't select who you wanted. I would also run a mile from most celebs. grin

EllanVannin Wed 05-Jun-19 13:08:17

Imagine having the late Stanley Unwin.

Granarchist Wed 05-Jun-19 15:33:30

our GP practice changed the answerphone from a friendly female voice to a very bossy man - I complained and said it really was very off putting. It got changed back almost immediately!!! Brilliant service.

Gonegirl Wed 05-Jun-19 17:14:59

Wow! That's amazing Granarchist . Well done. smile

callgirl1 Wed 05-Jun-19 17:52:06

I adored Stanley Unwin

Jane10 Wed 05-Jun-19 17:56:09

I love Ant and Dec but I also like the ladies on the checkout at M&S. Some of them are so friendly and helpful. One recently ran after me to give me a discount voucher that another customer hadn't wanted. That's customer service!

Nannyxthree Wed 05-Jun-19 18:10:08

We've got Billy Connelly on the Sat Nav and have heard Dame Edna on someone's answerphone, but don't think I want Ant & Dec at the checkout!

Hampshirehog Wed 05-Jun-19 19:03:33

I think Dame Edna on an answerphone might be quite funny, Nannyxthree, but my husband would definitely be changing the Sat Nav voice if it was Billy Connelly (and I think I would be too). grin

Nannyxthree Wed 05-Jun-19 19:52:58

Yes, mine changed Billy Connelly to a female voice, Hampshirehog.
Dame Edna came as a shock when she answered by shreeking 'Hello Possum', but I agree it was funny afterwards.

Hampshirehog Thu 06-Jun-19 09:45:28

Actually, thinking about it, I quite fancy having Dame Edna on my answerphone!

cossybabe Thu 06-Jun-19 09:55:55

My husband has Joanna Lumly on his sat nav - he keeps going the wrong way on purpose, just to hear her say "turnaround when possible deerie" Ant & Dec at check out - noo thanks

LizHand Thu 06-Jun-19 10:18:34

I got Alesha yesterday.. not a fan!!!

jaylucy Thu 06-Jun-19 10:20:43

Local M&S? You're lucky you've got one - ours closed in May !

moggie57 Thu 06-Jun-19 10:24:07

i hate all these disembodied voices.. we dont have self service .in our local one. but the main one in croydon does. cant stand them either..ant & dec.

Gingergirl Thu 06-Jun-19 10:29:56

Its hideous isn’t it! Sometimes I can cope with it and other days I have to go to an assistant to pay. Not the best thing M & S have done....again...

Boolya Thu 06-Jun-19 10:41:30

I got Amanda Holden. I felt like just leaving my stuff and walking out

BladeAnnie Thu 06-Jun-19 10:49:57

I'm pleased that I'm not the only who dislikes Ant and Dec!! Totally get on my nerves I'm afraid. Now the voice of the lovely Sean Bean I could listen to all day!!

Matelda Thu 06-Jun-19 10:58:24

I was astonished to see Ant and Dec on the Santander TV commercial. The only possible reason can be that "Ant and Dec" sounds a bit like Santander. It's only fourteen months since Ant McPartlin was fined £86,000 and disqualified from driving for drink driving, and he has been in rehab twice for drug and alcohol addiction. And this guy is supposed to reassure us of the probity of a bank! Of course, it doesn't matter with M & S - in my opinion they've no reputation left that's worth preserving.

nipsmum Thu 06-Jun-19 11:08:52

I am not tolerant of anything which has "celebrities," in the title. I don't care whose voice is on mechanical devices, but I would prefer, if I had the choice, to have Proff Brian Cox if I have have to have anyone or Sir Billy Connelly. They are proper celebrities.

Saggi Thu 06-Jun-19 11:10:42

I was a closet Ant and Dec hater..... thank goodness I’m not alone...I’m well out of closet now!

Craftycat Thu 06-Jun-19 11:26:19

I love Ant & Dec.
I actually feel sorry for Ant- I cannot say hand on heart that I have never driven the morning after a night out when I suppose I could still be slightly over the limit. TBH it never occurred to me until his case was all over the front pages.

gillyknits Thu 06-Jun-19 11:33:06

WE got Amanda Holden last time we used the check out at M&S. What on Earth are M&S doing.? Trying to be trendy, yet again, I think. When will they learn that it won’t work.