Gransnet forums

Chat

Why do we get it so wrong?

(50 Posts)
Nonnie Thu 06-Jun-19 16:10:54

DH and I usually research quite carefully before buying anything so why don't we get it right? We bought a Betamax video recorder. A few years ago we decided to buy a new car which we don't usually, we just run them into the ground. Obviously cars had changed a lot since the last one so we did our research and bought a diesel because it was better for the environment. You all know how that worked out. I bet you can all guess what make our mobile phones are grin

Our dishwasher seems to have died, oh dear!

Whitewavemark2 Thu 06-Jun-19 16:12:17

Go German— all good

BBbevan Thu 06-Jun-19 16:29:58

Snap, except our dishwasher is fine ( x fingers)

Nonnie Thu 06-Jun-19 16:39:43

I think our Beta video was German! DH probably still has it somewhere!

Whitewavemark2 Thu 06-Jun-19 16:40:43

Oh? that theory wrong then.

Nonnie Thu 06-Jun-19 17:36:15

Now looking at dishwashers online and rather surprised how cheap they can be but how expensive fitting and disposal are. £90 for fitting and £20 to take the old one away. Might be worth getting it repaired. If we get one with A++++++ stars will they change their minds about the way they rate them? grin

FlexibleFriend Thu 06-Jun-19 17:51:03

I'd stay away from cheap dishwashers as they tend not to last. £90 is usually for installing an integrated one freestanding is about £20. You could always do it yourself it's not difficult assuming you are still able bodied. I have an integrated Siemens which is fab. I also took out an extended warranty with AO as the way they behaved with my Sons washer/ dryer was phenomenal. It was about 7 years old and uneconomical to repair they replaced it with a new one within a couple of days removing the old one for no charge.

Callistemon Thu 06-Jun-19 17:52:11

I'm not sure about German technology - so far we have had problems with three appliances of German make.
And our newish AEG freezer is developing a fault - again.

Fingers crossed our Siemen's washing machine has been fine - so far.

phoenix Thu 06-Jun-19 17:56:50

We are very fortunate to have a chap called "Appliance John" (yes, honestly, Google it if you don't believe me!)

He charges a flat rate of £45 plus parts, no call out fee, it's the same rate if he's here for 30 minutes or 4 hours!

He has fixed my 14 year old washer/dryer at least 4 times, fitted a new hob, installed a new element in the electric oven, he is an absolute treasure!

kittylester Thu 06-Jun-19 18:02:58

We didnt go for sky tv - we went for the other one, which I cant remember the name of, because we liked the squariel!

And, do not ask about dh's car!

Coolgran65 Thu 06-Jun-19 18:06:53

My integrated dishwasher died last summer the day before our son and family arrived for a two week stay. DH ordered a new free standing one to collect from Curry’s 10 miles away. They were doing an offer of disposing of your old one for free. He got the old one into the back of the Qashqai and was back with the new one in an hour. He took the kitchen door off and the new one was installed very easily as existing plumbing was in situ. Got a cheap Beko as we’ve found that there’s not a great deal of difference in durability unless you go well up the price range. Our washing machine is also cheapie Indesit and has been running for 12 years since in went in with the kitchen.

Grammaretto Thu 06-Jun-19 18:19:30

a German friend said he always buys Japanese cars as they are just as good and half the price of German ones.

We bought a hoover food mixer and loved it. It wasn't a success for Hoover and production stopped about 1970. It still works but the plastic and rubber parts have perished. I don't know why I keep it.

Daisymae Thu 06-Jun-19 20:59:34

Can't believe that people are still smarting over betamax!

MiniMoon Thu 06-Jun-19 21:07:32

Best washing machine I owned was an Indesit. I had it for 23 years before it died on me. I went straight out and bought another.
We bought a posh plasma tv just before LCD tv's arrived on the scene.

BlueBelle Thu 06-Jun-19 21:40:39

Use your hands to wash up a lot cheaper and a lot simpler

Grammaretto Thu 06-Jun-19 21:56:48

Aha Bluebelle it's somewhere to hide the dirty plates..I was once told, that a dishwasher can be more hot water saving than using the hot tank because it uses water efficiently. I want to believe that. I only run it once a day and it saves me having my hands in water too.

NfkDumpling Thu 06-Jun-19 22:04:49

We have a small kitchen so, as Grammaretto says its a very good place - in fact the only place when friends come to dine - to hide dirty plates.

GillT57 Thu 06-Jun-19 22:27:03

kittylester the other one was BSB. When Sky swallowed them up it became BSkyB.

GillT57 Thu 06-Jun-19 22:28:26

Nonnie just don't expect an 8 track in your car!

crazyH Thu 06-Jun-19 22:35:06

Nonnie, I bet your mobile phone is a Nokia

Callistemon Thu 06-Jun-19 22:38:43

Or Huwaei?

Callistemon Thu 06-Jun-19 22:39:24

Huawei!!

kittylester Fri 07-Jun-19 07:43:26

gillt, I thought it was that and then had a crisis of confidence. grin

It has been proved that a dishwasher is more economical and eco friendly than washing up by hand. Google it.

agnurse Fri 07-Jun-19 07:47:49

Interesting fact about Betamax - you were actually likely correct.

Beta was before my time, but from what I understand, it was actually a superior product compared to VHS. It simply wasn't marketed as well, so VHS ended up becoming the standard for video.

Witzend Fri 07-Jun-19 09:15:06

We also had Betamax for many years - it was standard where we were living in Abu Dhabi/Oman. Also the videos were smaller. IIRC Betamax was generally believed to be better but was out-marketed by VHS.

On our return to the UK I had to transfer a lot of stuff taken on a Betamax video camera to VHS tapes.

Diesel cars - oh, dear, yes! It's not at all long ago that they were telling us they were better for the environment! Certainly when dh bought his current car, which is not all that old.
You do have to wonder when to believe 'experts' any more. Anyone else remember being sternly told to put babies to sleep on their tummies, not on their backs? Roll on about 10 years....

And then it was eggs, and butter...