Gransnet forums

Chat

Is it right?

(27 Posts)
Doodle Sat 08-Jun-19 14:53:03

In the online version of the newspaper today I watched a “viral video” of a physical disagreement (I would say fight but it was more shoving and pushing) in a Burger King kitchen. It was filmed though a glass pane in the door by presumably a customer who put it on the internet.
The people’s faces were quite clear, those in the fight and those trying to prevent it. What the circumstances were we do not know. This action took place in a kitchen area away from the restaurant where presumably the staff had some expectation of privacy.
Regardless of whether it is legal or not, do you think it is right that people can film strangers in a private location and then post it on the internet for all to see?

B9exchange Sat 08-Jun-19 15:00:38

This goes back to the picture of the dying grandmother posted on the internet.

EllanVannin Sat 08-Jun-19 15:08:05

No, it's not right.
Phones have been a curse in this respect and have caused a lot of trouble for a lot of people.What happened to " mind your own business ?" if disputes were going on between strangers.
The whole problem today is the awareness of what goes and to me it's wrong in some quarters. As an example, two women were bashed while on a train/bus because they were lesbians. Why can't people ignore or turn a blind eye from shows of emotion either between two men or in this case two women ?

Why report/film every little thing that goes on if it's not done purposely to cause aggression in our society ? It's this sort of intrusion which has created hatred and diversity.

felice Sat 08-Jun-19 15:44:29

As a retired Chef if every disagreement in a kitchen was recorded and reported their would be outcry.
In my own case it was a male French chef who had it in for me. I was doing agency work and kept being asked back to the Banquet kitchen of a 4* Hotel.
Unknown to me there was a full time job going.
The man in question did not believe in Women Chefs, after catering foe a large buffet he was seen putting Sugar into a rice salad I had prepared. The young Chef who saw him grabbed him and called the executive chef.
They scuffled and a couple of punches were thrown. I had no idea this was happening as I was in another area.
Needless to say he was not offered the job.
He did not know that I had been offered it and turned it down.
Kitchens are very very competitive.

EllanVannin Sat 08-Jun-19 16:05:12

Kitchens are very volatile places too as going back when I did a few stints as a favour in silver-service and top-table waitressing I know how staff can be drawn into some terrible rows when certain members aren't conversant in their stations of waiting-on.
I did this when my work holidays coincided with golfing or Masonic dinners which were booked.
No filming or cameras used in those days, but no fisticuffs involved either.

Namsnanny Sat 08-Jun-19 16:43:39

I think it’s awful that so many people don’t seem to care about other peoples feelings and or privacy.
It’s everywhere but it’s just more obvious when the phone is involved.
Makes me feel quite dismal if I let it.

BradfordLass72 Sun 09-Jun-19 01:19:40

do you think it is right that people can film strangers in a private location and then post it on the internet for all to see?

Haven't the Press been doing this for decades? Of course it was newspapers originally but it's now also the Internet.

absent Sun 09-Jun-19 04:53:09

^All the world's a stage:
And all the men and women merely players.^

Wouldn't Jacques have loved the 21st century?

Starlady Sun 09-Jun-19 06:15:31

No, I don't' think it's right. Unless they are recording a violent attack to show the police as a witness, then no, just no.

It's not only an invasion of privacy, it's very cold and callous, IMO. They're not worried about the safety of those in the fight or shoving match, etc. They're just concerned w/ making themselves look cool. Taking advantage of other people's weak moments and misfortune, if you ask me. Disgraceful!

EllanVannin Sun 09-Jun-19 09:07:39

I agree Starlady. I must be the only person on the planet who thinks mobile phones are a curse of society. Look at all the trouble they've caused because many of those who have them aren't right in the head. I've never " overheard " a decent conversation yet. It's all about verbal violence shouting and swearing----what's that about ??
I haven't got one, don't need one and never wanted one !

M0nica Sun 09-Jun-19 09:40:08

I think I would have preferred it if they had never had screens. Just mobile phones that make phone calls or to send texts and nothing else.

The number of times before they were invented I wished I could just pluck a phone form the air. - when my car broke down and I needed the AA, to be able to contact DH when he travelled alone to some distinctly insecure areas of Africa (Zaire, Sudan and the like),

There are other times when I have been so grateful for them. when strikes strand DH in foreign parts and he can now let me know where he is and whether he can travel a different route or has found a hotel, when my car breaks down, when I am delayed etc etc.

Do without a mobile phone? Never. Do without screen, camera or internet connection. I could manage.

HurdyGurdy Sun 09-Jun-19 10:05:04

It's a fine line really. Often, these days, the police request mobile phone or dashcam footage to help in their investigations.

And who's to say that what starts off as a mild scuffle doesn't descend into a brawl where someone gets stabbed, or is beaten unconscious.

Personally I can't imagine coming across the scene of an accident or a fight where my first reaction would be to whip out my phone and start recording it.

In any case, I'm such a clutz when it comes to getting to the video app on my phone, chances are, it would be all over by the time I'd got it sorted

AllTheLs Sun 09-Jun-19 10:06:54

I haven't got one, don't need one and never wanted one !

Same here, EllanVannin.

Coconut Sun 09-Jun-19 10:10:38

A very debatable issue with many pluses and minuses. Personally I feel I if you’re not doing anything wrong you shouldn’t mind being filmed. Live footage has proved many people’s innocence and confirmed many others guilt.

ReadyMeals Sun 09-Jun-19 10:29:21

Of course even back in stone age someone could describe and draw the story of some private interaction, and tell others. And then with the advent of newspapers and radio, these stories and photographs could be spread afar. The difference of late is that social media is self-published. You don't send your material to an editor who decides whether it's suitable for publication. So it's not the phones that are the problem, it's the editorless state of social media.

Apricity Sun 09-Jun-19 10:42:55

Like so many things it is both a blessing and a curse. On one hand mobile phone footage can provide compelling evidence of a crime and on the other it can be a gross invasion of privacy.

As the old saying goes, a good servant but a bad master. How we deal with these complexities and contradictions is an unfolding story.

Loopey Sun 09-Jun-19 10:44:51

Best option don’t argue in public

pinkjj27 Sun 09-Jun-19 11:08:58

I saw the police fighting some guy to the ground it was horrible he was fighting back but what shocked me was how many people stood there watching and filming, it. It made me feel sick that people were dining out on some one’s arrest and treating it like entertainment. I have no idea what he had done ( if anything ) but there was a huge group of people just stood round so close that the police had to keep pushing them back. I was waiting for someone outside the Bank and it took ages for back up to arrive but people just stood there filming and running after the police everytime they tried to move the situation.
When told my grandson how cross it made me, he said it was called public witness and public justice and necessary particulary in times of austerity to regulate and oversee police/ public behaviour as so many cuts mean thing are always done right. He also added if it you make it pulic its not private and we all own it. Not sure I agree but that is clearly a view I hadn’t considered.
He is 17 and to him it was the norm but I have to add that many of the people firming were not young and in fact all ages where represented.

sarahellenwhitney Sun 09-Jun-19 11:16:50

I would not waste my time neither am I interested unless it affects me personally in recording other persons lives .However I would not hesitate in coming forward had I been witness to another's misfortune where eye witness accounts essential.

EllanVannin Sun 09-Jun-19 11:31:15

Pinkjj27, the police usually have their own cameras for what your grandson describes as witness and justice is also a two-way thing. Believe it or not but the police giving evidence in court can get let down too.

Nanny27 Sun 09-Jun-19 11:42:51

The most sickening occasion I can remember was when a young woman, clearly extremely distressed was on the top of a multi storey car park planning to commit suicide. A crowd had gathered below complete with mobile phones shouting "jump" so that they could film the tragedy. I couldn't believe that anyone could sink so low.

pinkjj27 Sun 09-Jun-19 12:17:40

EllanVannin I am completely neutral I wasn’t on the side of either . However I find it hard to believe the police would want to have film this situation they were very rough. My point is I think this is just becoming normal, the public view this as another form of media and interact with it as part of their society.

Nannyxthree Sun 09-Jun-19 12:33:20

When my daughter was about 3 or 4 we were on holiday in Paris and she was feeding some pigeons. She was photographed by several people around us without asking my permission and I was unhappy about it but didn't want to frighten her by a hasty removal. That was about 30 years ago but if it happened now she could have been all over the internet before we got home and there is no protection from it. Very wrong.

Pat1949 Sun 09-Jun-19 13:14:23

Totally wrong. Most of it isn't filmed for witness purposes, it's filmed for friends of the phone owner to view and (by some) laughed at by those they show it to. Some uploaded to YouTube for the whole world to view. Sign of the times we live in.

Doodle Sun 09-Jun-19 13:38:44

There seemed to be a man and woman having a serious argument and lots of pushing. There were several others filmed too who were just trying to keep them apart. I don’t think the intention of the person who filmed it was to give it to the police or to use it to help anyone. Her background commentary was laughing at what was going on and filming it to put onto YouTube or some such. I wouldn’t have watched it in the first place if I realised what it was going to be about.