Gransnet forums

Chat

Names

(26 Posts)
GabriellaG54 Sun 09-Jun-19 01:30:57

This isn't a thread which needs comments...thank you.
I'm letting certain GNers know that I've no intention of answering posts which disregard my moniker (which is my real name)
GG could be any one of a number of posters with those initials and Gabby/Gaby is not my name.

absent Sun 09-Jun-19 04:33:06

This isn't a thread which needs comments...thank you.

It's a red rag to a bull – or, at least, to an old cow! How can I possibly resist the temptation to comment and refuse to obey your implied instruction?

Are there lots of GGs on Gransnet? (Oh dear, that sounds like Epsom.) I don't drop in that often these days so I am not sure. I have never seen Gaby as a shortened form of Gabriella (such a pretty name). However, I once worked with a Gabriella who was generally known as Gaye until gay became the most common non-pejorative synonym for homosexual so I think she dropped it. "Hello, I'm Gaye" is probably not the best icebreaker at parties.

Or have I got the wrong end of the stick and your name is actually Monica?

Starlady Sun 09-Jun-19 06:17:43

Your parents named you GabriellaG54?

BlueBelle Sun 09-Jun-19 07:14:33

A thread with no comments ? ?
Ah well the sun is out today it was a miserable day yesterday but looks much better today Have a good one G54

Auntieflo Sun 09-Jun-19 08:02:07

I knew she reminded me of Pauline in MUM!

Bathsheba Sun 09-Jun-19 08:09:37

Wonderful news Gransnetters. We can now all say what we like to her and she won’t respond! As long as we call her GG, Gaby or any other abbreviation of her real name (imagine being called GabriellaG54! I wonder what the registrar thought of that ?)

harrigran Sun 09-Jun-19 08:12:24

I love Mum and Pauline is a one off ?

mcem Sun 09-Jun-19 08:26:01

A cross between Pauline and Hyacinth?
A rather sad post really.
Pathetically attention-seeking and self-important.
Stand by for reports to GNHQ.

AyjayF Sun 09-Jun-19 08:26:45

Yes! Auntieflo it surely is Pauline from Mum ?

Urmstongran Sun 09-Jun-19 08:29:08

Some early morning trolls already I see.

I can understand that Gabriella gets tired of the digs - some (I think purposely) try to wind her up by calling her Gabby. It’s mean and childish in my opinion.

I have no problem with her wish to be addressed correctly.
?

Greenfinch Sun 09-Jun-19 08:37:22

What a storm in a teacup!Perhaps you need to change your username if you don't like how it is abbreviated. Nobody ever shortens mine and I certainly would not care if they did.Were you suffering from insomnia when you started this thread ?

mcem Sun 09-Jun-19 08:51:47

Nothing to do with "winding her up".
Victim mentality to add to the mix?

Most posters who choose long usernames seem to accept abbreviations quite readily.
Anyone who posts such pompous comments should expect to have her bubble burst!

The alternative?
Yes GabriellaG54.
No GabriellaG54
3 bags full............ etc.

TwiceAsNice Sun 09-Jun-19 08:59:41

Why does it irritate you so much? People sometimes abbreviate mine just to Twice, it’s fine by me

kittylester Sun 09-Jun-19 09:14:05

Come on you lot!

This is just hectoring.

We are an inclusive site. Surely we can cope with people who are different.

BlueBelle Sun 09-Jun-19 09:25:15

Call me what you like I m just happy when people talk to me or include me
, G54 does not strike me as a person who sweats the small stuff so probably just wanting to stir up the troops and cause a divide
Nice try

ninathenana Sun 09-Jun-19 09:29:16

How were we to know that Gabriella is your RL name ? It is a pretty name but who uses their real name in a forum confused
I understand you preferring people to use it in RL but as a forum name I don't think you can object to a shortened version. It is after all simply a means of associating a comment to an imagined person.

EllanVannin Sun 09-Jun-19 09:34:00

I had a friend called Gabriella and she was fondly known as Ella all her life. She was a trained nurse then became a district nurse.

My own middle name is Ellen but I'm not known by that.

Missfoodlove Sun 09-Jun-19 09:57:41

Just in case anyone was wondering, Foodlove was my maiden name.

Charleygirl5 Sun 09-Jun-19 11:57:33

I have a friend whose name is Gabriella but she has been known as Gaye her entire life. I think it is a lovely name.

My name was the name of my last cat. It is frequently shortened to Charley but that is fine. I added the girl so that people were fully aware of my sex.

NanaandGrampy Sun 09-Jun-19 12:33:34

In the same vein as you posted GabriellaG54 I shall continue to abbreviate names as and when I wish - feel free to ignore me :-)

Quite frankly your post is a making a mountain out of a mole hill.

EllanVannin Sun 09-Jun-19 12:36:44

Maybe it's over-indulgence of " Bolly " last night Gabriella ?

Witzend Sun 09-Jun-19 12:40:50

Auntieflo ???

NanaandGrampy Sun 09-Jun-19 12:47:41

on thinking on it - why not just message those 'certain GNers' ( I see you can abbreviate) and tell them one-to-one?

Its a bit passive aggressive to blanket the entire site .

Charleygirl5 Sun 09-Jun-19 12:50:03

N&G never a truer word has been spoken.

GrannyGravy13 Sun 09-Jun-19 12:54:08

To be fair to GabriellaG54, when we are both posting on the same thread and other posters abbreviate both of us to GG it has in the past been confusing.