Gransnet forums

Chat

Apparently, I've reached a good age!!

(44 Posts)
kittylester Sun 09-Jun-19 13:48:03

Shopping this morning we bumped into an a colleague of DH whom we have not see for about 5 years. They are about 15 years younger than us but he retired before dh.

We had a good chat and catch up during which I mentioned my recent 70th birthday. They both exclaimed 'oh, that is a good age'.

I felt about 10 years older all of a sudden.

EllanVannin Sun 09-Jun-19 13:55:23

Hahahaha kittylester. I had a similar experience in Asda with D the other day when I saw someone who I hadn't seen for years and as we chatted she looked at my D and said " what do you feed her on she looks so well ?" Yes----I was still there !
Jeeze, my D isn't my carer I look after myself ! I couldn't stop thinking about it.

EllanVannin Sun 09-Jun-19 13:58:09

I'll make you feel better kitty----my stepdaughter will also be 70 in October. I don't know whether to laugh or cry but will feel like Methuselah.

EllanVannin Sun 09-Jun-19 14:00:06

Anyway, I know that the woman I spoke to is younger than me and she had that many wrinkles she could screw her hat on !!

cornergran Sun 09-Jun-19 14:02:45

The exact phrase a supposedly medical professional used to me last week kitty. Is it any wonder I am reluctant to return? Was playing on a slide yesterday, an excellent antidote. smile.

kittylester Sun 09-Jun-19 14:27:29

At your good age, corner!

Would it help you acclimatise if I call you 'mum' ellan? wink

NanaandGrampy Sun 09-Jun-19 14:28:11

I’m hanging on to reach a ‘bad age’ then - that sounds like fun ??

Teetime Sun 09-Jun-19 14:53:03

kittylester I always think of you as being a very naughty age considering the conversations we have on a Gransnet meet up. You look great!

EllanVannin Sun 09-Jun-19 14:55:07

Kitty, I get Mother's day/Birthday and Christmas cards with " mum " on them ! We have been taken for sisters which is heartening.

kittylester Sun 09-Jun-19 14:55:13

I'm only naughty with you egging me on, teetime! Anyway, its mild naughtiness!

farview Sun 09-Jun-19 15:25:18

As I neared the end of a zip wire the other day..a couple clapped and said "well done!"...they didn't do the same to the teenagers on it...is it such a great feat at 67!!!...felt quite irritated by it...

shysal Sun 09-Jun-19 15:35:28

When I had my bone density scan done recently at age 72, the male nurse asked what I was doing for the rest of the day. I replied that I was going to mow my steep lawn. His reply was 'ah bless you, can't you get someone to do it for you?' I am too chunky to appear frail, or so I thought!

EllanVannin Sun 09-Jun-19 15:43:10

It is hilarious the way some people act this way towards us. I wonder if they'll think back when they reach our age ?
We must all appear as if we have one foot in the grave, which I think is quite funny.

Luckygirl Sun 09-Jun-19 16:04:05

When I had a collapse, I said to the doc that I really didn't want to finish up not being able to drive and he said:"Well, you will have to stop sometime", making me feel that he thought I was about the right age to stop. Cheeky young whippersnapper!

joannapiano Sun 09-Jun-19 16:11:09

I went to my neighbour’s 90th birthday party yesterday. Now that is a good age, plus she looks wonderful! I am growing my hair long to celebrate turning 70, to recreate my hippy days back in the 1960s.

Day6 Sun 09-Jun-19 16:11:55

I think I am going to dye my hair. I scampered up the steps to a hospital department not long ago, no hand rail needed. On leaving the area I had two nurses tell me there was a lift available to the ground floor, and when I got to the top of the stairs a passing hospital worker offered me an arm to help me down. I smiled as he was only being considerate, but I don't see myself as 'old'. Others obviously do. The silver hair has to go I think!

BBbevan Sun 09-Jun-19 16:17:53

When we move to our new house DH and I were both 70
Our SiL said "You have 10 good years ahead of you" We were planning on more ?

Buffybee Sun 09-Jun-19 16:28:42

that many wrinkles, she could screw her hat on.
Oh! Ellanvannin, I laughed outloud at that!
Tee hee!!!!

dragonfly46 Sun 09-Jun-19 16:31:36

I must be in my dotage then!

One of my 'friends' said to me the other day that people she told could not believe how old I was. Why is she spreading my age around I wonder!

Another friend, 15 years younger than me, was telling an anecdote about this old lady in her 70's! She got a good kick under the table!!

It upsets me that if I was mugged on the street the press would report me as being an elderly lady!!

M0nica Sun 09-Jun-19 16:35:50

I have noticed recently that whenever I am on a train or public transport, I always (or nearly always) get offered a seat. OK I am 75, but my hair isn't grey, and you would still need hatpins to secure a hat on me. But I have clearly reached a stage ot ageing were no matter what I do I am still seen as a feeble old woman.

Charleygirl5 Sun 09-Jun-19 16:44:13

I was on a tube on Friday and alighting at Bond Street. A young lady with a pushchair said she admired me for being out and about. Did she think I should have stayed in bed? I thought she was going to fall over when I said I was 75 and had bil. knee replacements. The reason for that surgery was to keep me on my feet!

Bellanonna Sun 09-Jun-19 17:05:06

Oh what a cheek Charleygirl. ?

Charleygirl5 Sun 09-Jun-19 17:17:31

Bellanonna I do not think she meant it because she was showing me the way to get out of Bond Street station using three lifts,

Until then I have been using the stairs with many people stopping asking if they can help. I am rather too heavy for a fireman's lift which is the only other way down the stairs!!!

KatyK Sun 09-Jun-19 17:26:37

My sister is a very slim, trendy looking 61 year old. She was most annoyed recently when in a restaurant she ordered a dessert and the young waitress said 'aah bless'. Then when she served it to her she added 'I bet you can't wait to get home and put your jim-jams on'.

Charleygirl5 Sun 09-Jun-19 17:42:10

Even at my advanced age I would have had words with the manager. Totally out of place and to a 61 year old who probably works longer hours than that whippersnapper- she should be taught common manners.