Gransnet forums

Chat

Newbie - Hello!

(32 Posts)
MamieJoy Wed 12-Jun-19 09:42:20

Just a quicky to say Hi. I was googling ways to making friends not dating. There is nothing out there for the over 30 (I'm passed twice that!), and if there is, there're only dating sites in disguise. You wouldn't think under 30s need sites to help them make friends but apparently yes, they do - more than us. Anyway, I lost my hubby 18 months ago and now my mum 2 week ago. I feel a bit lost and isolated. I'm not bored - plenty to do - but I do get lonely sometimes. So here I am eaves-dropping on your chat and looking forward to join in. Btw, I've jsut started stone painting. I'm not very good but it is fun and relaxing - anyone here does that? If not, what do you do? Oh and I've recently acquired 4 lovely recued hens - anything to bring life and fun in the home.

dragonfly46 Wed 12-Jun-19 09:44:53

Welcome MamieJoy you will find the majority of people on here very friendly and if you live near some of them we do have meet-ups if you are interested.

Charleygirl5 Wed 12-Jun-19 09:56:42

Welcome- your little dog is very interested in the activity of the hens. What area do you live in?

I have met some very pleasant, interesting people at local coffee meetups.

Greyduster Wed 12-Jun-19 10:06:13

Welcome, Mamiejoy. I used to do stone painting - haven’t done it for a long time though. It seems to be frowned upon to take the odd pebble when you’re on holiday so I got out of the habit. You’ll find a lot of very nice people on Gransnet.

MamieJoy Wed 12-Jun-19 10:53:05

Yes Tib is quite old - almost 15 - and the arrival of the girls seem to have given him a new lease of life, but it didn't last very long! I live near Lichfield. Local coffee-meetups sound fun.

MamieJoy Wed 12-Jun-19 10:58:24

I just find my stones on my walks on the Chase, very near me so the way I see it, I am not really talking them away from their local ground. Anyway, only got half a dozen right now. Plenty more in my garden, if I could be bothered to dig for them! smile

FarNorth Wed 12-Jun-19 11:08:57

Hullo MamieJoy.
I don't do stone painting or have hens but just wanted to say hello anyway. smile
I've just been visiting a friend who is about to get 4 hens. Here is a picture of the nesting boxes all ready with straw and curtains.

Bathsheba Wed 12-Jun-19 11:10:59

Welcome Mamiejoy. I've never tried stone painting, but I've seen lots of wonderful examples. Years ago, when our children were small, we used to collect stones and seashells from local beaches, we thought nothing of it! But as Greyduster said, it's frowned upon these days. In fact, it's been illegal to remove them from beaches since 1949.

I can't see any harm from collecting them on your country walks, though - the main concern is with coastal erosion if too many people removed them from those areas. I'd love to see some of your stones smile

DanniRae Wed 12-Jun-19 11:22:00

Hello Mamiejoy - pleased to meet you! I don't do stone painting but envy you your rescue hens. I would love to do that but my garden is too small.
Your dog looks very cute - I have a Jack Russell/Border Terrier cross called Lottie who is 8 years old.
I hope you enjoy Gransnet as much as I do.
Best Wishes, Danni smile

gillybob Wed 12-Jun-19 11:33:21

Hi Mamiejoy welcome to Gransnet smile

My granddaughters (13 and 11) are really into stone paintings and have created some lovely pieces such as ladybirds, bees etc. and have made some wonderful cactus stones for my garden. Its a great way of keeping them entertained on a wet day. Incidentally our LA has to remove the excess stones from the beach close to where I live at least twice a year as they build up rapidly, I hardly think they would miss half a dozen small ones.

Nonnie Wed 12-Jun-19 11:57:24

Welcome. They do have meet ups in Birmingham sometimes so keep an eye out for the next one.

gmelon Wed 12-Jun-19 11:58:24

Welcome to the site.
I received a gift of a stone to be used as a doorstop it was painted really beautifully. It even had my name on it.
I hope you enjoy Gransnet.

MamieJoy Wed 12-Jun-19 14:48:18

Wow! I'm overwhelmed by all the lovely responses I've already got. Thank you everyone for getting in touch. I never thought my budding stone painting hobby would spark so much intereest. I really am not very good at all having only just started. There are some really nice fancy ones on pinterest from which I am drawing inspiration. This and my chooks! {smile}

BlueBelle Wed 12-Jun-19 14:56:48

Hi mamieJoy welcome from me too first I m sorry to hear about your two losses it knocks you for six doesn’t and your mum will s very recent so you ll feel lost for a bit
My mum and dad dues with six months of each other 7 years ago but I still get moments when I have a good cry man seeing them so
I also do pebble or rock painting I live by the beach and it’s a lovely sandy beach so basically if I take half a dozen pebbles I m helping keep it sandy? here’s a few I did at Christmas for friends hope the pic comes out ok

GillS Wed 12-Jun-19 15:11:55

Bluebelle your stones are lovely. What lucky friends to have these as gifts. In my area there is an ongoing trend where people paint stones and leave them in discreet places. When found by passing strangers they hopefully get moved to new locations and photographed, then uploaded to a website to check whose stone has gone the furthest! The children seem to have fun with this, I know my own granddaughter has hidden a few. By the way, a warm welcome mamieJoy, you've had a tough time and will surely find warmth and kindness here.

crazyH Wed 12-Jun-19 15:22:38

Welcome Mamiejoy to this great site. I joined last year when I went through a bad patch and these dear virtual friends helped me no end.
So sorry about your losses..... I lost my beloved parents many years ago but I still miss them. Also a dear older brother, who took on the role of my Dad.
Anyway, welcome again, with big hugs x

crazyH Wed 12-Jun-19 15:24:21

Oh and your stones are stunning....so is Bluebelle's. What talented ladies !!!

Avor2 Wed 12-Jun-19 21:42:31

Hi Mamiejoy nice to meet you. Love your stone painting, I Have lots of stones and think I might get the paints out while the weather is nice and wet.
Hope you enjoy chatting to all of us, we all have had some good / bad / funny things happen to us (we are old enough to have experienced most) so even if you just read everyone's chatter it brings you closer to us all.
See you soon xx

Bathsheba Wed 12-Jun-19 22:43:14

Oh your stones are lovely Mamiejoy - if these are what you can do as a beginner, then I am impressed!

And BlueBelle, wow I love yours, so very beautiful - I love the little girl top right (is she an elf girl, or a little girl in a Santa hat? wink)

BlueBelle Wed 12-Jun-19 22:49:41

Haha she’s a little elf girl bathsheba
I took a picture before I gave them away I can’t remember who had the little girl though
I ll have to do some more haven’t done any for a while

B9exchange Wed 12-Jun-19 22:53:28

Lovely to hear from you MamieJoy, I'm not near Lichfield, but can wave from a distance!

Your stones are great, I was introduced to stone painting by a DiL a couple of weeks ago, will take me a long time to get up to your standard! grin

Menopaws Thu 13-Jun-19 00:27:37

Welcome, you'll make a lot of friends here

BradfordLass72 Thu 13-Jun-19 05:36:05

Welcome MamieJoy and I too like your stone painting. It's something I hope to do, inspired by ny grandson (10).

When I was in hospital recently, he painted a stone for me and brought it into the ward, saying, 'I wish I could be with you to hold your hand but here's a stone. When you pick it up, pretend I'm holding your hand.'

It went into the operating theatre with me (inside a sterile glove) and the surgeon was very moved (as was I) by my darling gs gesture.

NannyJan53 Thu 13-Jun-19 07:15:30

Welcome Mamiejoy you will find most are very friendly and welcoming here.

So sorry about your losses flowers

I lived in Lichfield for 20 years, in fact I was there yesterday visiting my son. So always up for a coffee meet over there. I have just put a message about a meet up in Birmingham, so pop over to the Meet Ups section and have a look,

BlueSapphire Thu 13-Jun-19 07:24:36

Hello and welcome!
Rock painting is very popular around Northampton too. The idea is to paint rocks and then hide them for other people, especially children, to find. The rocks are photographed, put on a Facebook page, and then rehidden in a different place. It's interesting to see how far some rocks travel. And the rocks are beautifully painted.