Gransnet forums

Chat

Aldi - recommendation please

(151 Posts)
suziewoozie Sat 15-Jun-19 12:56:06

I’m visiting an Aldi store for the first time ever on Monday - any recommendations as to what to buy - good, wine etc. Thanks

suziewoozie Sat 15-Jun-19 12:56:39

I didn’t mean good I meant food - sorry

shysal Sat 15-Jun-19 12:59:33

I shop in Lidl, which is very similar. Their fruit and veg are good quality and cheap.
Also, dare I recommend the ice creams? Yum!

merlotgran Sat 15-Jun-19 13:03:28

Gin!!

Their tonic water is just as good as Schweppes IMO and about a third of the price.

ninathenana Sat 15-Jun-19 13:15:07

I do my main shop elsewhere but make a point of going to Aldi for all their dishwasher products, they are really good value.
DH loves their "middle aisle" products i.e. home 'n' wear.

SueDonim Sat 15-Jun-19 13:30:38

Their bloomer loaves of bread, white and malted, are lovely. Chia seeds, if you use them, are cheaper than anywhere else. They've gone down from £1.99 to £1.25! Feta cheese is good, also some of the more unusual frozen veg such as sweet potato or butternut squash are handy.

I love to browse the Aisle of Weirdness. A few weeks ago they were selling pneumatic drills! Sadly, I couldn't come up with a reason why I would need one. grin They also sell nice craft goods, if you're into that.

suziewoozie Sat 15-Jun-19 13:33:16

Getting excited! Thank you - keep the suggestions coming please

phoenix Sat 15-Jun-19 13:33:25

Not a fan of Aldi, but love Lidl!

Great steak (we love the dry aged ribeye) really good chocolate, Lidl W5 cleaning products also excellent, expect Aldi have similar.

annodomini Sat 15-Jun-19 13:41:50

Brilliant chocolate; good fish products; toilet rolls; toiletries, mostly cruelty-free.

Granny23 Sat 15-Jun-19 13:44:10

Smoked haddock fillets, all their cold meats, lamb gigot chops, free range eggs. Their tinned soup, beans, peas are no better or worse than anyone else's as are their washing products, toilet rolls, hand wash, baby wipes and nappies.

Current favourites are the Wonky Raspberries and small bananas.

Maggiemaybe Sat 15-Jun-19 13:44:22

I'm not sure whether to advise you to keep away from the aisle of wonder (other people have ruder names for it!) or to dive right in. You can call in for a loaf of bread and some apples and come out with a trolley full of photo frames, slippers, a new jacket, some potting compost and a toaster. Not that I've had personal experience of this, of course. blush

I'd recommend the caviar face creams, particularly the serum, and the "Jo Malone" perfumes that I feel guilty about buying. And yes, the chocolate.

annsixty Sat 15-Jun-19 13:49:39

Chocolate, cheese, fresh meat, yoghurts, chickens ( whole) toiletries, salmon fillets, cleaning products, the list is endless.
Just try and you will soon find out what you do and don't like.
Oh, wine , how could I forget that and their own gin.

KatyK Sat 15-Jun-19 13:57:33

We buy so many things from Aldi. Washing up liquid, washing tabs, filter coffee (lovely and very cheap), fruit, veg, salad, some of their biscuits and chocolate are gorgeous, frozen fish, veg, DH has their gin. I have bought lovely double fitted bed sheets for £4.99, two pillowcases for £1.99. I love Lidl too.

KatyK Sat 15-Jun-19 13:58:12

Oh and last week we bought a microwave from Aldi smile

Charleygirl5 Sat 15-Jun-19 14:02:41

My Aldi, unfortunately, is very small so can't sell sheets etc but the food, whatever you buy is very good value and the wine is superb.

The last time I spent under £20 and came out with about 3 carrier bags full of goods which would cost twice that amount elsewhere.

Pittcity Sat 15-Jun-19 14:15:10

It's so much easier to shop at Aldi or Lidl as there aren't 25 different brands of the same product to choose from.
I love the household products and the face cream.
We like to try the one off specials!

Lyndiloo Sat 15-Jun-19 14:17:54

Their tinned stuff is good - and almost half the price of other supermarkets. Also, cereals, biscuits, sauces and all of their cleaning products and loo rolls.

I wouldn't buy their fruit and veg. though. It doesn't 'keep'.

If you like salmon, do treat yourself to their frozen Salmon Wellington - in either a cheesy sauce, or a prawn sauce. (£3.99) The only drawback with this is its size. Too big for two, but too small for three, which means that you just have to finish it off for supper! smile

GrandmaKT Sat 15-Jun-19 14:25:48

I was just going to recommend the Salmon Wellington. Feeds 4 in our house!!

Greyduster Sat 15-Jun-19 14:26:46

I go to Aldi weekly. Their fish - particularly the sea bass fillets - is good value. In the winter, they do packs of Mixed fish for fish pies which is far better value than the supermarkets. But it is seasonal (no-one but me eats fish pie in the summer if seems!). The plain smoked mackerel fillets are good too. I can recommend the Roquefort, feta, and Parmesan cheeses. Dry aged steaks, and dry cure bacon. I use their baking products and they give good results. Watch your step with the veg though. I have never had a good pack of green beans from them yet (don’t know why I keep trying) and their potatoes in the past have been dreadful to the extent that I have written and complained (no-one responded?), and then stopped buying them. They may be better now - can only hope so! Very good chocolate!

KatyK Sat 15-Jun-19 14:29:52

We were in a trendy pub in The Lakes a few years ago and ordered two large glasses of Chardonnay. We watched the barman pour it. It was the very same wine we buy in Aldi for 3.99 a bottle (very distinctive label). We were charged £9 for two glasses!

annsixty Sat 15-Jun-19 14:43:33

Potatoes are no better Greyduster look fine until you start to peel them and then black patches under the skin.
As my S says, you start with a potato and end up with a chip.I buy them from Sainsburys or Simply food.

crystaltipps Sat 15-Jun-19 15:27:10

The organic porridge oats, almond milk, crisps, frozen berries, mini chic iced, yoghurt, cleaning products, Almat washing powder, dishwasher tablets and aloe Vera toilet paper, plus I usually treat myself to a couple of bottles of the Vinho Verde wine and some almond chocolate, ooh and some flowers.

crystaltipps Sat 15-Jun-19 15:28:04

Mini choc ices!

EllanVannin Sat 15-Jun-19 15:34:55

I don't shop in either but I did read about the Aldi chickens having the least bacteria than any other store. I think Tesco was the worst.

KatyK Sat 15-Jun-19 15:37:29

Aldi's ready stuffed chickens that you cook in their bag are great too. Also their smoked salmon is the best I have tasted.