Gransnet forums

Chat

Dog Owners (irresponsible)

(52 Posts)
Johno Sat 15-Jun-19 16:53:09

I find a fair proportion of dog owners to be so far up their own nose its almost akin to psychiatric impairment. Example; Dog off lead runs at you - the owner says: "it's OK he won't bite ya"!! How can these people be so contemptuous? They assume you do not fear dogs. What do you think? Is it fair game?

Maggiemaybe Sat 15-Jun-19 17:09:13

Oh, Johno, you're brave! grin I'm keeping well out of this - I've seen how these dog threads always go!

KatyK Sat 15-Jun-19 17:11:46

I agree with Maggie I'm keep out of this one! Have a look at the Dogs in Restaurants thread.

KatyK Sat 15-Jun-19 17:12:46

Sorry It's Dogs in Cafes on the AIBU thread.

Sara65 Sat 15-Jun-19 17:21:16

Katie and Maggie are right

For what it’s worth I agree with you, but I think you’ll find a lot of very vocal people who don’t!

glammanana Sat 15-Jun-19 17:22:30

Oh I'd keep out of it also but will mention that not many dogs run around the Country brandishing knives and attacking innocent people and generally acting in a feral manner.
I class myself as a responsible dog owner and would never allow my dog to run up to any person they did not know well.

NanaandGrampy Sat 15-Jun-19 17:27:57

Same could be said of some parents - oh don't do that darling- as their child runs round the restaurant bumping into tables, and servers alike :-)

I'm curious as to what proportion of dog owners are so far up their own nose its almost akin to psychiatric impairment then Johno ? 10%? 25% 50% ….more?

Jane10 Sat 15-Jun-19 17:30:55

I'm not a dog owner but I like dogs and enjoy meeting and patting ones as I'm out and about. There are lots of other people like me.
Most dogs love people and just want to be friendly.

BlueBelle Sat 15-Jun-19 17:36:55

I work in a charity shop and we have just had word from Headquarters that we must now let dogs in the shop I am totally against it Why do people need to take their dogs shopping?
I don’t like them sniffing around the clothes what if they lift a leg? We had one in on my last shift having a good shake in the middle of the shop floor Yuk
I like dogs and used to be a dog owner but I never took my dog shopping, why would I ?

Jane10 Sat 15-Jun-19 17:59:15

Very odd BlueBelle. I do agree with you. Guide dogs OK but they're well trained.
Our local corner shop doesn't allow dogs in and there are often some lovely dogs waiting patiently outside.

GabriellaG54 Sat 15-Jun-19 18:06:15

I have had that said to me many times and my reply has been refined to 'Ah! but I might bite YOU.

sodapop Sat 15-Jun-19 18:12:34

Your comment is a bit extreme Johno do I take it you have had a bad experience/s.
I agree some dog owners are thoughtless and expect everyone else to be a dog lover when this is patently not the case.
Yes I agree BlueBelle why would anyone want to take a dog shopping unless its an assistance dog. I can't understand why some dog owners feel unable to leave their dogs at home at all. I have recently had complaints about dogs not being allowed in our small library -really ? Before I get moaned at, for those who don't know, I have three dogs.

NanaandGrampy Sat 15-Jun-19 18:16:03

I wouldn’t dream of taking my dog shopping. I’ve had dogs all my life and never felt the need with any of them!

They are trained from 8 weeks of age to understand that we leave home without them sometimes but we always come back. Not one of them has ever suffered from separation anxiety .

But then maybe I’m the minority as I’m also a responsible dog owner with the dog well enough trained that it would never approach another person or dog once given the stay command .

I get that there are irresponsible dog owners out there but I am a little tired of us all being tarred with the same brush .

watermeadow Sat 15-Jun-19 18:20:21

It must be hard, living with an extreme fear of dogs, as dogs are everywhere and live as members of our families. A bit like being terrified of small children.
Almost all dogs are friendly but I understand that your fear is irrational. Perhaps hypnosis would help you.

SueSocks Sat 15-Jun-19 18:52:12

I am a dog owner but I do agree with you Johno! Also agree with NannaandGrampy we don't take our dog shopping or into cafes. There are times when we go out and she doesn't! If I say to her "Just popping out", she goes to her bed.
Dogs running up to people are a problem, I also have problems with other dogs running up to my dog as she is a rescue (Battersea dog, found as a stray on the streets of London) she is anxious and is reactive on the lead to other dogs. So many dog owners just call out to me "Oh he's friendly" and are unable to call their dog back. I have a bright yellow lead banner stating that she is anxious - ignored by many other dog owners.
My other issue with dog owners that is getting increasingly more common is bagging up their dog waste and leaving it at the side of the footpath or hanging it in the hedgerow. Why??? This happens so often in the country park near our home, there is a dog bin 200 yards from the car park!

PamelaJ1 Sat 15-Jun-19 18:53:07

Watermeadow, why is Johno’s fear irrational?
Has a dog never bitten a human?

Daisymae Sat 15-Jun-19 19:06:18

I have a dog but would never allow her to jump up. I think it's totally out of order, friendly or not. However because my dog is on the small side and a bit cute, some people do encourage her with treats etc. Being a dog, it sometimes get confused with those who want to make a fuss of her and those who don't, but that's my problem not hers.

Nannylovesshopping Sat 15-Jun-19 20:04:32

The spaniel and I are often approached by other dogs with smiling owners saying he/she is friendly and just wants to play, my answer, I am not friendly and the spaniel will bite your dogs a..s if hers is sniffed by yours! Their friendly, wants to play dog is one that has not been trained to mind its own business!

M0nica Sat 15-Jun-19 21:15:03

I enjoy walking the footpaths around our village. I think I am the only person doing this who doesn't own a dog. Some dog owners look quite worried and look around for my dog. They obviously feel that people shouldn't be let out in the countryside with out a dog to keep them in control.

My usual procedure if a dog is off the lead and festive is just to calmly stand still with my hands by my side until it goes past. I never stroke them or speak to them, although I will pushe them away if they try to jump at me.

My worst moment has been a lady with two very strong and muzzled dogs that she struggles to control because they are too strong for her. One leapt at me and his muzzle and paws banged my arm quite hard and bruised it badly.

I have since seen her round the village, but only from the car, and it is clear that she really should not be walking these dogs, she is pushed to her limit to control them.

BlueBelle Sat 15-Jun-19 21:41:27

We never have allowed dogs into the shop until about a month ago then we got a missive from headquarters
now word must have got out as they are all bringing them in There’s one lady comes in EVERY day at 9 o’clock with her pooch sniffing around I just really don’t get it
I m waiting fir our first puddle

nanny2507 Sat 15-Jun-19 21:44:40

I have 3 dogs and one will tell the butt sniffers off. Some owners get quite uppity when this happens. I am a leave poo bags by a bush person..however I always walk back the same way and collect them and put them in the bin on my return. i cant hold my walking stick and a poo bag if i am walking for an hour

Esther1 Sun 16-Jun-19 21:42:02

Please don’t leave your poo bag hanging on a bush for us all to see!! If you need to hold onto a walking stick why can’t you just sling a crossover bag on and put the poo bag in there until you get to the bin. Sorry - but we just don’t want to have to look at your dog’s poo bag!

fiorentina51 Sun 16-Jun-19 22:52:44

I work part time on a farm in the middle of a forest near my home. Sometimes I drive to the farm but if the weather is nice, I like to walk.
One morning I was walking down the path towards th farm and saw 2 women plus dogs, chatting. One dog kept barking at me as I approached and eventually charged up to me, plonked 2 muddy paws on me and leapt towards my face.
I pushed the dog away and politely asked the owner to control her dog.
I got a mouthful of abuse and got told that he was only saying hello!
I said I didn't want to be greeted by an out of control dog.
I was then told that I shouldn't walk in the forest if I didn't like dogs. ?
I do like dogs. It's some of their idiot owners I can't stand!

BlueBelle Sun 16-Jun-19 22:56:02

Oh my word you're a poo bag hanger nanny stop it I don’t mind if you have 6 walking sticks keep your bag with you it’s a horrid sight even if you only leave it there an hour it encourages others to do it and you might forget and leave it there for ever Find a way of holding it and your stick and use biodegradable bags too not just any old plastic bag ...yuk

Luckygirl Sun 16-Jun-19 23:28:18

I think the problem is that some dog owners cannot grasp that there are people who do not share that view. The phrase "Oh he is just saying hello" (as dog leaps all over you and covers you in mud), "Oh he really likes you" ( as dog licks your face) etc. resonate in my mind from experiences as a visiting SW. The idea that you might not like this simply does not enter their heads.

I am fine with people enjoying their dogs and know many responsible dog owners. I am not fine with those who are irresponsible.