Gransnet forums

Chat

Procrastination

(101 Posts)
MawBroonsback Tue 18-Jun-19 10:28:25

I wish this was not one of my worst weaknesses.
It’s not laziness (I think) but usually something I don’t really want to do which I put off and off perhaps in the hope it won’t be necessary. Taking Hattie to kennels (even booking) for example. I have known for weeks that I am going on a weekend granny duty on Thursday afternoon but have just steeled myself to ring the kennels.

I have 4 bags ready in the garage for the charity shop, but perhaps I don’t really want to part with the contents? (Including some of Paw’s things)

Putting it off does not make it go away and when I do get round to ticking things off my to-do list I feel as if a load has been lifted off my shoulders.
So why?
Anyone else suffer? I would so like to be like the Nike ad - and “just do it! “

Anniebach Tue 18-Jun-19 10:32:48

I have always been the same. My elder daughter use to say
‘Your doing a Scarlet O’Hara again ‘. ‘I will think about it tomorrow ‘ 😀

Whitewavemark2 Tue 18-Jun-19 10:34:08

Me.

henetha Tue 18-Jun-19 10:35:02

I would like to claim the title of World Champion of Procrastination!
I drive myself mad with this. And yes, like you, MawBroonsback, I feel so much better after finally making myself do something positive, and yet I continue to be as
procrastinating as ever.
If you find a cure, can you let me know? smile

Whitewavemark2 Tue 18-Jun-19 10:35:31

Actually I’m procrastinating now, and most of the time I spend on here. There is always something else I should be doing. This is a terrible time waster.

kittylester Tue 18-Jun-19 10:39:29

Ooww, me! I have lists of things that need doing all over the place and I'm sure I've lost one. Now I'm in a panic.

silverlining48 Tue 18-Jun-19 10:50:47

With you all the way maw. Sounds like me to a tee.

Silverlady79 Tue 18-Jun-19 10:57:30

Ironing. It’s always the ironing. I have every excuse under the sun..it’s not the right time of day..or night...it’s too hot to iron, it’s too cold to iron. The board isn’t to hand, I can’t find the iron. Ironing is too dry. I’ve run out of spray starch ...it goes on and when the procrastination is REALLY REALLY bad I bung it all back in the wash. The shame of it!

Witzend Tue 18-Jun-19 10:58:09

I'm terrible, too. So many things I put off because I frankly CBA.

Though funnily enough, yesterday I dug out a cardigan - a beautiful alpaca intarsia thing with a floral pattern, which I literally hadn't worn for years because the little bastard moths had been at it. It's been in a plastic bag all that time, waiting to see if I'd ever get around to trying to save it. It was an expensive present from dh so I'd felt bad about it for ages.

And I did actually mend it! There must have been 8 separate small moth holes, but thanks to the multi-coloured pattern and my stash of threads and yarns, they honestly hardly show.

I then very carefully hand washed it as recommended, with bar soap, so fingers Xed.
Now for some of those other things I've been putting off for ever...

FarNorth Tue 18-Jun-19 10:59:38

blush moi aussi

I've even used a self-hypnosis cd to persuade myself to get on with things and to achieve!

No change. sigh....

FarNorth Tue 18-Jun-19 11:01:18

Well done, Witzend! sunshine

MawBroonsback Tue 18-Jun-19 11:02:49

when the procrastination is REALLY REALLY bad I bung it all back in the wash. The shame of it

Been there, done that!
Summer blouses in the ironing basket since last Summer! blush

b1zzle Tue 18-Jun-19 11:07:29

So reassuring to know I'm not alone. I should be ironing, but … (my excuse is that if I do the ironing, then there won't be anything left that needs doing, so I'll be redundant).

Yangste1007 Tue 18-Jun-19 11:07:31

I'm not a procrastinator but my husband is. Even to the point where I've cooked dinner, it is sitting on the table and he starts putting stuff in the dishwasher or clearing the kitchen. Anything to put off actually sitting down to eat and No, my food isn't that bad!!! Hence, dinner is lukewarm bordering on cold by the time he gets around to eating it. We've been married for 35 years and he's never been any different but it is the one main thing that annoys me. When he say's "I'm going to do....." , I take it with a pinch of salt, say nothing and wait for nothing to happen.

jessycake Tue 18-Jun-19 11:07:41

This is me, I must admit I am also a little bit lazy too . I wish I were different , I want to be one of those people always on the go ,with a spotless house and lots of friends and hobbies .

Squiffy Tue 18-Jun-19 11:08:29

I'm the same. What I just don't understand is that I know how good I feel after I have actually done something that's I've been procrastinating over for days months. So, knowing that, why don't I just get on and do stuff?

frankie74 Tue 18-Jun-19 11:10:28

Ha....I recognise myself Maw. When I'm procrastinating it's like I'm made of lead. Even for really important things like tax declaration. I'm better if there's a deadline looming, imposed by whoever. Then I work to the deadline, but at least it gets done. I also have a mental list of displacement activities which are less awful than the thing I'm (not) contemplating. Then at least SOMETHING gets done. Now, where's that wet paint that needs watching.....?

Nannytopsy Tue 18-Jun-19 11:21:54

Me too and I recognise the "I'm made of lead"! Should have done so much this morning but spent most of it on my phone.

grannysyb Tue 18-Jun-19 11:30:23

Should be cleaning the house! But it's fine here so am taking the opportunity to tidy the garden. I HATE cleaning!

KatyK Tue 18-Jun-19 11:31:48

I used to be indecisive but now I'm not so sure .....smile

Overthehills Tue 18-Jun-19 11:38:29

Yes, it’s me!
Always tomorrow, this afternoon, next week ...
They are my clothes in the ironing pile too. And the mending pile. And the refugee pile.
Those are my bulges too because, yes obviously, I’ll start the diet tomorrow.
Maw you are not alone.
Just off to get the ironing board out. Or maybe just wait till the tennis is on ...

FarNorth Tue 18-Jun-19 11:38:34

I've got the ironing problem sorted! I almost never do any, unless it's something for a special occasion.
Tidy folding means most things are fine without ironing, imo.

dragonfly46 Tue 18-Jun-19 11:40:41

Yep I am just the same and it is true you feel so much better when the deed is done but getting round to doing it is another matter!
I too have a list of a list of a list ......

tanith Tue 18-Jun-19 11:45:07

Me too, I have things in a box in the garage and clothes in a wardrobe of DHs all ready to go to the charity shop they’ve been there since Christmas maybe as Mawbroon says I’m not yet ready to let them go.
I also put off making GP app, hairdresser app, making calls I know I need to I’ve always been this way I guess there’s no cure 🤣

Grammaretto Tue 18-Jun-19 11:46:14

It is a condition. I even bought a book once called "Do it Now". I haven't got round to reading it yet.....

DH is possibly worse than me. We had our floor sanded last week and DH was still at his desk in the room when the men arrived. He'd been saying I will move my desk- just leave it to me, for weeks.
Of course it all happened in a few seconds once it began so why?

Womans Hour featured an editor explaining how she dealt with procrastinating writers, of whom there are many, by toying with their deadlines. She'd tell them the article was due in a week but it was really longer so that the tension built up as she knew that creative people need the motivation of a deadline to begin

Carillion Tue 18-Jun-19 11:47:22

What a relief to know I'm not alone in putting things on 'tomorrow's' list. Since we moved to Brittany five years ago there are still twenty!! boxes in the barn not unpacked. I knew it was my job to unpack them because my DH has had two hip replacements and three knee replacement ops (he really is my bionic man) but his ops are not the problem.

When we moved in things needed doing so the boxes could wait. The real problem is in my head I think. I don't want to venture in to retrieve boxes because they're now festooned with cobwebs and also probably housing other little four legged things.

In the first month after arriving we had mice in the house - not since though, fingers crossed - and I've never really got over it. They were in the chimney, oven, toaster and furniture. The previous owners mustn't have been bothered but I was beside myself and hence, find the murky barn a scary place to go in.

I have promised myself that after my husband's imminent back op I will take out two boxes per day and bag up as much as possible for the Emmaus charity which is big in France. I'm scared though but know I can't delay any longer. I also know I'll feel great afterwards.

Witzend Tue 18-Jun-19 11:48:37

Oh, yes, the dreaded ironing!

My excuse now (not that I ever just did it as soon as it was there) is that since retirement dh has taken over my former ironing room as his study, and is up there at least half the day.

There is also a small TV there, so when I was in the mood (not often!) I would go and do some while watching Homes Under the Hammer, or Heir Hunters.

But he is out now, so I have no excuse for not going and getting on with a huge pile of it, including a load of tea towels that were washed at least ten days ago. Not that I would bother, but they fit better into limited drawer space if ironed.
Maybe I will actually get off my a*se and get on with it now.

Craftycat Tue 18-Jun-19 11:50:30

Oh Yes- this is me too!
Then I get a sudden urge to blitz a room or mow lawn or something & I have to do it then & there.
I am never going to be the woman with the immaculate home although I was when I was first married- before children!!

sodapop Tue 18-Jun-19 11:51:06

I'm not a procrastinator, I like to tick things off my list. My husband though is a different kettle of fish and drives me mad. He started thinking about a visit to his daughter in March and finally made it last week.

EllanVannin Tue 18-Jun-19 11:51:45

-------been the same all my life ( except when working )

Glad to hear I'm not the only one, so I'll carry on as I was hahhaha. Well I'm not going to change now am I ??

Jaxie Tue 18-Jun-19 11:53:54

To Grannysyb, Oh dear; I hate cleaning too. A friend called yesterday. I asked her if the house smelt, as I have a horror of having a house that smells "old people". She said it did, but said she couldn't identify the smell! I made a vow to scour the whole place out today, but instead I'm reading a novel by Kate Atkinson that I can't put down interspersed with looking at clothes I don't need on the John Lewis website offers page. Is it because I live on my own? Now the washing machine is beeping to tell me it's finished it's cycle but I'm not being bossed by it so I'm ignoring it.

Saggi Tue 18-Jun-19 11:57:54

I actually think procrastination IS laziness!! There is no excuse otherwise is there!? I’m a Nike person...Just Do It!

hellsbells148 Tue 18-Jun-19 12:01:28

I flagellate myself at every opportunity about my procrastination - and like many others, I feel so much better when I have completed something. But that feeling like lead thing! I thought it was only me and a testament to my laziness! I'm trying to tell myself that I'm an intellectual and my mind is on higher things but that doesn't work as I was too lazy to study!!

FarNorth Tue 18-Jun-19 12:02:23

Witzend, do you really need so many tea towels?
Stop torturing yourself.

Witzend Tue 18-Jun-19 12:05:19

Here's my lovely cardi - almost as good as new!
I really am going to do that ironing now...

Fernbergien Tue 18-Jun-19 12:05:52

I don’t iron. I have a wardrobe rail in airing cupboard in front of boiler. Put clothes from wash on hangers and hang up. Clothes come out perfect. On the other hand I do not get jobs done mainly because I tire very quickly.

Elvive Tue 18-Jun-19 12:07:17

Maw, if it was an open cheque book and a trip to a new East shop would you be procrastinating?

Is it just fatigue or something more serious?
It can be linked to low mood.

hellbells, your post reminds me of looking round a monastery and one of the group was slightly obsessed with self flagellation. It was very funny in an accent which I mustn't mention for fear of being called racist.

Lupin Tue 18-Jun-19 12:09:08

I was born procrastinating. I was 2 weeks overdue so family legend had it.. The habit has never been lost and I can't seem to do anything unless it's urgent. It's that perpetual guilt that goes with it I could do without and I often think that if only I could put the energy into the original task that I put into thinking up reasons to avoid it I could break the habit. It's true that deadlines and appointments help.

GrandmasueUK Tue 18-Jun-19 12:14:48

A few years ago I joined an art class one afternoon a week and I loved it. I and OH used to treat me to a few art supplies when we went shopping and I built a garden shed 'studio' so I could paint in there. I have boxes and cupboards filled with paints, papers, pencils etc. I spend so much time arranging them that I don't get to paint any more. I am now retired but don't have enough time to create!

I now find myself making lists of things to do (rather than actually doing them) grin

vena11 Tue 18-Jun-19 12:19:20

My favourite saying is don't do today what you can put off until tomorrow .

LightAmber Tue 18-Jun-19 12:19:30

My partner procrastinates all the time and it drives me up the wall! Kitchen Project planned, I've got spare time to assist and he calls a halt because he's not sure if he needs xyz (whichwas included in the delivery from b&q) after a day or so of asking me rhetorical questions (which if I actually answer thinking he's asking me for an answer he gets agitated) he may start then grinds to a halt because the "light has gone, he feels tired, etc"

I'm this |-| close to paying someone to come in and assemble my kitchen and leave it shiny and new for me.

At least he won't have any reason to be do bloody tetchy then!! (kitchen was his idea btw)

vena11 Tue 18-Jun-19 12:22:41

My favourite saying is Don't do today what you cant put off until tomorrow .

Opalsusanna1 Tue 18-Jun-19 12:23:13

I'm the procrastinating editor Grammaretto. I get the stuff in and take ages to get through it; I have a printer who is tearing his hair out. I drive myself mad!

gransal Tue 18-Jun-19 12:28:42

I am really bad at putting things off. However, I do have the ironing sorted. I send it out to the ironing service. Worth every penny. !!

pamdixon Tue 18-Jun-19 12:33:20

my mott is 'why do something now when you can do it later/tomorrow/next week/next month/next year!!

pamdixon Tue 18-Jun-19 12:33:44

whoops meant motto

GreenGran78 Tue 18-Jun-19 12:36:24

Do I procrastinate? I’ll tell you tomorrow! wink

anniesgrannie Tue 18-Jun-19 12:39:33

I had a quote for removing a tree recently. The man said it was a nice tree and it could be cut back rather than removing it. I have artificial grass and the tree sheds leaves all over it. Now I keep changing my mind what to do. I know if I book him to remove it, I will have changed my mind when he comes. Since my husband died I have realized that he always made the decisions.

widgeon3 Tue 18-Jun-19 12:43:29

Yes, I do procrastinate.... always have but previously, the pressure of some sort of dead line worked wonders and, surprisingly enough, somehow I knew internally how long it would take to complete the dreaded task. That is the time I allowed myself.

My problem is that I no longer care about any deadline.
I feel tired. I asked the doctor if it were her medication. She denied it and yet, on line, the medication chat line is full of exhausted people on the same drug..
The second doctor I tried said I was intelligent but bored and should find myself something to do.
i asked my consultant at the hospital if it were old age ( 79) She said yes.

Please, can anyone help me find out what might be causing it. Cannot find any useful books on the subject.

Forestflame Tue 18-Jun-19 12:52:51

Welcome to my world!!

Jaxie Tue 18-Jun-19 13:15:13

To widgeon3, I'm on lots of medication for high blood pressure, underactive thyroid, cholesterol: could side effects be the incredible lassitude I feel that causes my procrastination?

Squiffy Tue 18-Jun-19 13:34:30

This sums it up for some of us, doesn't it?!

BBbevan Tue 18-Jun-19 13:35:31

I just can't sit if I know there are things to do. I used to be an awful procrastinator when younger. But now it's 'up and at'em" first thing. Is it age do you think?

Glammy57 Tue 18-Jun-19 13:49:28

I’m the same - two baskets of clothes waiting to be ironed. Weeks overdue in emailing a good friend. I could go on....

Elderlyfirsttimegran Tue 18-Jun-19 14:06:43

OMG! Do I. I know exactly what you mean especially putting off booking the dog in, although I no longer have a dog! I’ve been shopping this morning, following GN advice at Aldi, and should be ironing. What am I doing? Feeling drowsy, trying to do a crossword! There’s always tomorrow or the day after.

Tillybelle Tue 18-Jun-19 14:16:10

MawBroonsback. Oh Maw! This is my most terrible sin! That awful saying "The road to hell is paved with good intentions" absolutely terrifies me!

I have so much to get on with here after the evil builders' devastation. I find it very hard to know where to start and of course it's all very painful. Just moving a couple of books hurts my hands. I have stacks of stuff for the Charity shop but can't take it because I can't carry it. I'm hoping my tip Recycling Centre are as good as their word and do take clothes to be recycled.

The dishwasher broke a couple of months ago and I decided as I live alone I don't need one. But I really do think it might be better if I had one.... As soon as I finish washing up I find another mug or something that needs washing..

I never finish the ironing any more! Pain being the reason again.

I need to wrap a parcel but the contents are breakable and I'm daunted....

Actually I will let the dogs out now! It's time they had a run and would you believe it? the sun has gone in! I was going to sit outside with a cup of tea while they ran around.

Good luck Maw and everyone! I daren't send a photo of my devastation!

Rufus2 Tue 18-Jun-19 14:25:11

My favourite saying is Don't do today what you cant put off until tomorrow
Vennal; Surely you mean "don't do today what can be put off until tomorrow"? Otherwise you're not a true procrastinator. grin
And what's with all these posters and ironing? Who irons things in these modern times? Man invented "drip-dry" to remove that drudgery; I live on my own now and I wouldn't know one end of an iron from the other. That's what I call permanent procrastination.! grin

Amagran Tue 18-Jun-19 14:37:42

Like GreenGran, I'm going to reply to this post later...…..

Callistemon Tue 18-Jun-19 15:12:24

This is me, too, MawBroon
One of my DC is just as bad - as one of her teachers said "she produces some excellent work when her back's against the wall"! It must have worked.

I do think about things though, idly make lists in my head before I get up in the mornings.
That's productive, isn't it?

pinkjj27 Tue 18-Jun-19 15:13:57

Yep in fact I put off answering your post till now wink

EthelJ Tue 18-Jun-19 15:27:05

Me too, mainky with ironing, and other housework. There is always something more interesting to do!

DanniRae Tue 18-Jun-19 15:37:37

Oh Witzend that is a beautiful cardigan.......no wonder you wanted to rescue it! smile

MawBroonsback Tue 18-Jun-19 15:40:58

A lovely cardi Witzend and so worth saving.
You may take a rest now!

MawBroonsback Tue 18-Jun-19 15:49:11

To tillybelle and others, I think the problem may centre on the fact that when there is so much to do, “flight” takes over from “fight”.
So here’s an idea, write down 6 things of roughly equal time/effort/necessity which you need to do (you know, Irish backstop, peace in the Middle East, resolving Brexit curing the common cold etc) grin ) ordinary things, and number them.
Roll a dice (or die if we are being accurate) and whichever side comes up, do that job.
Then play on GN, have a coffee, polish your halo or whatever until, flushed with success you roll again!
Let me know if it works - I am still thinking about it.
PS Tillybelle order that dishwasher - no procrastinating there!

MawBroonsback Tue 18-Jun-19 15:52:20

Jaxie - enjoy! Is it the new Jackson Brodie?

Happiyogi Tue 18-Jun-19 16:08:47

Witzend what a glorious cardigan. No wonder the moths wanted to feast on it! Well done for the restoration work.

I have read that we can be divided into "sprinters" and "marathoners". Those who, with a deadline six months hence, begin to tackle the task and clear it out of the way with bags of time to spare are marathoners. The others, who don't blaze into action until the finishing line is in sight are...most of us on this thread!

Esther1 Tue 18-Jun-19 16:10:48

Please don’t mock me but I sort of wish I actually could procrastinate. I can’t settle down and relax unless every box is ticked. It’s quite wearing!

BlueBelle Tue 18-Jun-19 16:11:52

Hey MawBroon how did you know my middle name?
Yes I suffer too and I realised how bad when I wrote on a list of things ‘to do’ this year and amongst it was to get my bathroom light cord mended, the other day a memory popped up on Facebook of me saying I must get my bathroom cord fixed so I can use the light again It was dated 3 years ago
Oh I m ashamed

lovebeigecardigans1955 Tue 18-Jun-19 16:21:17

Life can be more enjoyable if you put off the horrid stuff and read a book instead, but the guilt gets to you in the end and you have to rouse yourself.
There must be a happy medium somewhere - I'm still looking for it!

sharon103 Tue 18-Jun-19 16:22:18

Add my name to the list HaHa! I have lots of CBA days.

sharon103 Tue 18-Jun-19 16:23:53

P.S.Is there a cure for it?

Glammy57 Tue 18-Jun-19 16:58:35

MawBroonsback. Re. Your post of 15.45 - brilliant and thanks for the laugh! I have still not touched the ironing but did post a parcel which had been sitting next to the front door, for a few days! Shall treat myself to a glass of wine, now! 🍷😀

NannyHill Tue 18-Jun-19 17:13:35

I started a cross stitch sampler for my sons first wedding anniversary it sits in a bag on various door handles round the house. Won’t throw it away as I keep telling myself must finish to give them on their next Anniversary. They have now been married 12 years!!

sodapop Tue 18-Jun-19 17:50:25

Me too Esther1 I set myself targets for the day which I have to accomplish. I have realised though that I have slowed down a bit so I try to be more realistic with my targets.

boat Tue 18-Jun-19 18:23:49

My motto seems to be, "Don't put off until tomorrow anything that can be put off until the day after".

I despair. I didn't used to be like this.

I've tried making lists but have had to start to begin each one with, "Make a list", so that there is at least one thing I can cross off.

Witzend Tue 18-Jun-19 18:30:12

Just wondering, how many procrastinators here are also great readers? (Apart from the likes of reading GN and so on - I mean books/kindle.).

If I've got a good book on the go, which is most of the time, I can happily largely ignore ironing, dusting, hoovering, cleaning out kitchen cupboards, etc. etc.
Preferably with feet up on the sofa!
Exception being when guests are coming to stay. TBH if we never had guests, I'm not sure when the house would ever get a reasonably good blitz!

Oh, and when I did actually clean out a kitchen cupboard not long ago, I found 3 separate lots of oven cleaner. I will leave you to imagine what sort of state the oven was in anyway!

Callistemon Tue 18-Jun-19 18:30:32

I hope you didn't knit that cardie, Whitzend
Pass the smelling salts please!

Right, I've sorted out who will be the next PM.
Me.
Tomorrow is a public holiday (and the next day, and the next etc).

However, what's happening with Brexit will have to wait for a while whilst I savour this nice French Chablis.

Callistemon Tue 18-Jun-19 18:31:38

I'm quite good at getting on with reading books, Witzend,
sorry for sp in last post.

Witzend Tue 18-Jun-19 18:36:17

Lord no, my knitting is nowhere near up to anything like that!
It came from Peru, via a U.K. shop.

Callistemon Tue 18-Jun-19 19:45:37

Enjoy wearing it!

callgirl1 Tue 18-Jun-19 20:51:39

Another procrastinator here. My eldest son put a fiver inside my birthday card the other week, but his wife thought he was mean, so she`s bought me a present. It`s an infuser thing that uses candles and scented oils, but I keep putting off working out what to do with it, so it`s still in it`s box. I think I`m going to have to hear that she`s coming for a visit before I get off my rear and sort it!
As for ironing, WHY? when there are so many good books on my shelf waiting to be read?

Bellanonna Tue 18-Jun-19 20:58:05

You’re all making me feel better about myself so thank you.

sazz1 Tue 18-Jun-19 21:22:03

I'm having to do a lot more atm as we're selling so house has to look clean and tidy. Normally I have the Manyana approach to housework then when I feel overwhelmed I make a list. Some of it gets done sometimes.

Sara65 Tue 18-Jun-19 21:54:58

I’m quite decisive about most things, but I’m a dreadful procrastinator about paperwork, it piles up, and I put off as long as I possibly can. The other thing is making appointments, doctors, dentists, I always tell myself it will all go away if it’s own accord.

Grandmama Tue 18-Jun-19 22:32:33

Yes, procrastination is my middle name. I fly by the seat of my pants and sometimes it catches me out.

Legs55 Tue 18-Jun-19 22:53:36

A good book/ crossword/sudoku takes precedence, followed by gardening more pottering than heavy work these days . Housework comes low on my list & as for ironing & cleaning oven I can find something more interesting to do even if I've promised myself I'll do it.

Each day starts with good intentions but I've got procrastination down to a fine art hmm

Snowbell Tue 18-Jun-19 23:01:56

I'm going to procrastinate tomorrow!😉

Lilyflower Wed 19-Jun-19 05:53:19

No, I don’t procrastinate. I have the opposite problem. I go at things at ninety miles an hour to have them over and done with. I have a to do list every day and tick things off as I do them.

I am a busy body and drive everyone else mad. I can’t help it as I am very prone to anxiety and cannot stand things hanging over me. Many of the above tales of putting-off would have sent me into nervous breakdown territory. I also find physical activity calming and often squabble with the DH about who gets to do the ironing as we both find it reduces stress.

However, ‘Hamlet’ with the hero’s irresolution and procrastination is my favourite Shakespeare tragedy.

Rufus2 Wed 19-Jun-19 07:58:25

My motto seems to be, "Don't put off until tomorrow anything that can be put off until the day after"
Boat; Sorry! that's not true procrastination; too far ahead by which time most procrastinators (elderly?) will have forgotten what they are procrastinating about and will then have to start over again on a completely different topic! grin

Margs Wed 19-Jun-19 11:48:22

If there was such a thing as a Nobel Prize for Procrastination then I'd win it every year!

I'd have so many awards for it that you wouldn't be able to get through the front door.....it drives me mad and the only person who can stop it is me. But I just don't.

GabriellaG54 Wed 19-Jun-19 13:20:48

Me too.
I really must get down to sorting out clothes that no longer fit or I no longer want. I've made small trips to charity shops but some items were expensive, so I think I'm gonna (sic) have to have an eBay day. 🙄😂

Daisyboots Wed 19-Jun-19 13:24:41

Have always been a good procrastinator although my ironing was always up to date. Now I cant stand for long so I dont do the ironing so my lovely lady who comes to clean does the ironing (and the washing if it's not already done. I hated working from home as I could always find other things to do rather than concentrate in the work on hand. Not knowing how my health problems will pan out is making my procrastination worse and not helped by my husband being a top procrastinor too. I am not feeling nauseous at the moment so really should get dressed and then put some washing in the machine . But.... it's far more interesting reading GN.

MawBroonsback Wed 19-Jun-19 13:44:30

This sums it up for me!

Squiffy Wed 19-Jun-19 18:18:46

This one works for me!

Shizam Thu 20-Jun-19 01:19:50

I’m so bad at the moment.
Course I signed up for needs lots of work, laptop is just sitting there staring at me.
All sorts of scary official post need attending. Sitting in a pile.
Wasn’t like this when younger. Actually find it quite distressing. But still don’t get on with it....

FarNorth Sat 22-Jun-19 11:25:55

Flipping heck!
Not only procrastination, but reluctance while actually doing something!
That happened to me this morning while handwashing a couple of things.
Maybe it was because they were only worn a couple of days ago and I hadn't done enough procrastination before deciding to get on and wash them?
confusedshock

Rainagaine Tue 25-Jun-19 12:05:34

I quite often think that I would like to reply to messages on here, but somehow I don’t get round to it.
I did read that procrastinators are not particularly lazy, but are often perfectionists, as in, ‘I’ll do it when I have thought about it and can do it properly’. My biggest problem is with jobs that involve skills or communication, but even things like taking the clothes to the charity shop can be done ‘perfectly’, when the weather is fine and I'm not in a rush.
I can only make myself do things if I have a deadline, so the risk of not doing them perfectly is eventually outweighed by the problems caused by not doing them at all.

whywhywhy Tue 25-Jun-19 12:09:06

Yes, you are not alone. I am full of good intentions and get buggar all done! But I am not as bad as my husband who's favourite words are "Not yet" . In his case "Not yet" might takes years! x

Bellanonna Tue 25-Jun-19 19:40:04

Rainagaine that resonates with me. I definitely need deadlines to spring me into action.

FarNorth Wed 26-Jun-19 06:15:11

Rainagaine that makes sense about the 'perfection' and why deadlines work.
How to convince myself to give that up, tho?