Gransnet forums

Chat

BBC Our Next Prime Minister

(73 Posts)
Marilla Tue 18-Jun-19 20:48:55

I am shocked by the standard of debate and the lack of the ability to questions with integrity. The only candidate who spoke with clarity and honesty is Rory Stewart.
God help us if either of the other four get appointed!

Yorksherlass Tue 18-Jun-19 20:55:19

Spot on

Calendargirl Tue 18-Jun-19 21:01:32

All seemed a bit rowdy, didn’t think Emily had control of proceedings . Usual flannel from all of them really, no one answered the questions properly.

GrandmaKT Tue 18-Jun-19 21:02:18

Totally agree. Rory Stewart was the only one who came across as anything like honest. The others all promised tax cuts on one hand (following on from Brexit?!) - and then pledged to boost public services to the next questioner. Do they all think we are stupid?

LullyDully Tue 18-Jun-19 21:03:04

We gave up before the end. It was very badly chaired and managed . I thought Rory Stewart came over as rude and petulant. I am glad I don't get to vote between them.

rubysong Tue 18-Jun-19 21:03:47

What a box of waffles. The only thing we learnt is that Emily Maitless was the wrong choice as presenter.

Willynilly Tue 18-Jun-19 21:11:18

Emily was awful I agree, but the 'fab 4' are plainly terrified of Rory as evidenced by them all constantly talking over him trying to shut him down.
Not very edifying for any of them.

merlotgran Tue 18-Jun-19 21:13:44

Bring back Jeremy Paxman.

Marilla Tue 18-Jun-19 21:42:43

I was also disappointed with Emily Maitless. She allowed them to talk over each other and did not insist they actually answer the questions.

GrannyGravy13 Tue 18-Jun-19 21:50:42

Emily was not the best choice.

Rory Stewart’s “Afghanistan” story is “debatable”

NotTooOld Tue 18-Jun-19 22:11:04

Did you notice Rory Stewart removed his tie early on in the programme? He looked very uncomfortable on his seat, too, wriggling around and rearranging his legs every five minutes. I wanted to shout 'That boy - stop fidgeting!'

Calendargirl Tue 18-Jun-19 22:24:22

Yes, I thought Rory Stewart’s legs looked at a very peculiar angle, most ungainly.

GrandmaKT Tue 18-Jun-19 22:29:58

I wondered if he has a bad back. Those chairs didn't look the most comfortable!

petra Tue 18-Jun-19 22:36:59

I bet Rory's heart sank when he saw those chairs.
As a short person I know that your feet can't reach the bar where you put your feet. That's why he had to sit on the edge of the chair with his feet on the floor.

Labaik Tue 18-Jun-19 23:29:22

At least Emily questioned Johnsons record as foreign secretary...

trueblue22 Tue 18-Jun-19 23:59:36

I agree lullydully. Rory Stewart comes across as a petulant schoolboy. He's no leader and lacks gravitas.

Two weeks doing right on media appearances with celebrities doesn't cut it with me. He also has to appeal to his parliamentary party and members, who are going to vote, not the electorate. He's campaigning for a GE, not a leadership contest.

I like Sajid, who is the most authentic. Jeremy lacks personality and Gove is too earnest, although came out with some blinders.

Joyfulnanna Wed 19-Jun-19 01:51:42

Was not impressed with the format, Emily maitless was awful and kept interjecting at inappropriate times before they had a chance to answer the questions. I wasn't particularly impressed at how the MPs answered the questions. Sajid seemed most genuine, although Jeremy is a strong contender. I don't like Gove or Boris at all. Rory answered with some integrity and passion. It's a helluva job to do in anyone's book.

crystaltipps Wed 19-Jun-19 03:30:15

It's a pity nobody asked the most obvious question of Johnson and Gove...
"You spent most of the referendum campaign riding around in a big red bus that promised to divert £350 million a week from the EU to the NHS when we have left. When you are Prime Minister, you will be in a position to honour that promise. If you intend to casually discard such a high profile and publicly made pledge, why should we believe you on any of the other promises you are making now?"
After all, the whole desperate urgency behind brexit is, not that it will do us any good, but is the vital need to fulfil a pledge, solemnly made in 2016, in order to maintain trust in politicians. Apparently, though, the various other promises made at the same time can be casually tossed away and forgotten about.
Did any of them answer the question about cuts to children’s services?

GabriellaG54 Wed 19-Jun-19 06:16:37

Having listened to half the debate, I zoned out due to the incompetence of Emily Mattias to curtail the arguments and waffle and her constant chatter over the cacophony emanating from those posturing waffling turkey cocks in suits.
I also hate the thumb over fist hand gesture adopted by all politicians when making a point.
I was really disappointed that Boris expelled so much hot air in his replies. Like a tin of Scottish mist, once opened, the buyer realises that they have been duped.
It's not a good feeling.
Visually, I feel Rory Stewart to be unpalatable but he was the more realistic of the dummies on display.
Now...if we could pick out the best qualities and more realistic aspirations and plans of each of the group and meld them into one MP, we might get somewhere. Until that day we just have to 'pray' for a miracle.
The backstop fiasco and intransigence of Barnier and co plus the cotton candy ideas about taxation which might smell sweet to some but disappear to nothing when tasted tested, make me convinced that we'd do better to pick any member of the public and give them the job of running the country.
It reminds me of a verse from The Pied Piper Of Hamelin.

At last the people in a body
To the Town Hall came flocking:
``Tis clear,'' cried they, ``our Mayor's a noddy;
And as for our Corporation -- shocking
To think we buy gowns lined with ermine
For dolts that can't or won't determine
What's best to rid us of our vermin!
You hope, because you're old and obese,
To find in the furry civic robe ease?
Rouse up, sirs! Give your brains a racking
To find the remedy we're lacking,
Or, sure as fate, we'll send you packing!''
At this the Mayor and Corporation
Quaked with a mighty consternation.

12Michael Wed 19-Jun-19 06:26:56

I partly watched it , but found an even better programme on BBC2 Dara O'Brien's, family IQ game.
but as to the subject , to much Brexit and not enough home issues.
And who has got guts to take Corbyn's flack across the table at PMQs , Boris seems the strongest in that area, others seem to weak .
Do you want a soft Prime Minster or someone who speaks out?
Mick

GabriellaG54 Wed 19-Jun-19 06:29:05

...and I hated the constant efforts if the dummies who were trying to appear to be all things to all men.
I was adopted. I was poor. I have a great great grandfather who was Muslim. My dad was a bus driver. I'm married to an immigrant.
It sounded like an infant school playground, with each candidate trying to morph like a chameleon into the person most likely to identify with the onscreen questioner.
Unedifying.

GabriellaG54 Wed 19-Jun-19 06:30:04

if of

GabriellaG54 Wed 19-Jun-19 06:33:54

Correction: Mattias Maitlis

crystaltipps Wed 19-Jun-19 06:47:52

The people asking the questions would all be better prime ministers than this bunch. I bet Theresa May is laughing, they make her look quite good.

kittylester Wed 19-Jun-19 08:26:30

How tall is Rory Stewart? There is a photo of him where he looks about average. Shallow I know, but I think it can matter.

Whitewavemark2 Wed 19-Jun-19 08:31:19

Now we are faced with the appalling knowledge that the next PM will be someone with no plan for our future, either with regards to Brexit or how to mend our broken society.

What a state we are in.

MamaCaz Wed 19-Jun-19 08:38:35

GabriellaG54
...and I hated the constant efforts if the dummies who were trying to appear to be all things to all men.
I was adopted. I was poor. I have a great great grandfather who was Muslim. My dad was a bus driver. I'm married to an immigrant.
It sounded like an infant school playground, with each candidate trying to morph like a chameleon into the person most likely to identify with the onscreen questioner.

Yes, the way they all piled in with their attempts to out-do each other with their dubious links to past poverty or ethnicity was absolutely pathetic.
It reminded me of the Monty Python sketch, and was wondering how long it would be before one claimed to have lived in a shoebox ...

As you said, just like an infant school playground!

Anniebach Wed 19-Jun-19 08:40:38

The next PM as previous PM’s will not be a dictator, Mrs May, Major, Thatcher , Heath ?

Whitewavemark2 Wed 19-Jun-19 08:43:32

I thought Gove seemed slightly unstable. He lied again about his father and his business. He seems to have forgotten that he was called out previously for the lie.

He seemed obsessed by Corbyn and frankly the winner of his remarks could only have been Corbyn, as the remarks were very odd.

MamaCaz Wed 19-Jun-19 08:47:51

I couldn't help wondering if Emily Maitless might have had more control if she had put an end to the 'manspreading' before the debate began. It might have put her in the driving seat 😁

Anniebach Wed 19-Jun-19 08:57:40

Emily Maitlas just said she thinks Boris came off the best

Charleygirl5 Wed 19-Jun-19 09:13:13

He did not give a straight answer to anything and would also have denied or questioned yesterday was Tuesday.

Urmstongran Wed 19-Jun-19 09:16:20

Regarding the ‘mansplaining’ that’s a bit daft not to expect it. Men just wouldn’t sit for an hour with their knees together, especially on high stools. None of them looked comfortable.

And podiums as in the Channel 4 debate weren’t much better.

Sit round a half moon desk, like on ‘Politics Live’ and have Andrew Neil to keep order. Much better.

Whitewavemark2 Wed 19-Jun-19 09:17:29

Johnson rolled back on absolutely everything he’d previously said, without being specific on anything. Won’t be long before he’s arguing to revoke.

MamaCaz Wed 19-Jun-19 09:36:18

Today 09:16 Urmstongran
Regarding the ‘mansplaining’ that’s a bit daft not to expect it. Men just wouldn’t sit for an hour with their knees together, especially on high stools. None of them looked comfortable.

I didn't say that I didn't expect manspreading - just that the dynamics might have been different if it had not been allowed, given that the position is though to be partly about an outward display of male dominance, but my comment was half tongue-in- cheek anyway.

Callistemon Wed 19-Jun-19 09:57:26

I thought it was all a waste of time.
Maitliss was hopeless, I wouldn't have been able to think straight myself balanced on one of those awful chairs (who thought they were a good idea?).

It didn't advance the leadership contest one iota - and we don't have a say anyway!

kittylester Wed 19-Jun-19 09:57:52

I think there is a difference between 'manspreading' as mamacaz said and 'mansplaining'.

Anniebach Wed 19-Jun-19 10:08:52

Wonder what the viewing figures were

Urmstongran Wed 19-Jun-19 10:35:33

Posted on another thread by mistake. I liked this:

“Catnip to Twitter millennials, Rory is paraquat to Tory members.”

Urmstongran Wed 19-Jun-19 10:37:07

Yes kittylester my error.
🙁

JessK Wed 19-Jun-19 11:37:39

None of them impressed me at all. It's all a bit depressing. I do wonder what would happen if they had been up against an interviewer like the late Robin Day. None would have survived.

Jools22 Wed 19-Jun-19 11:45:17

Needed Andrew Neil to nail down the candidates to answer the question and not to give the fluff they gave

humptydumpty Wed 19-Jun-19 11:49:58

I particularly disliked not only not answering the question but at the same time changing the subject to their pet rant (presumably because they couldn't give an answer.

Agree Emily Maitless had no control - and what a waste when this was a one-off debate, why not bring in Paxman or maybe Fiona Bruce who now has some experience of this from Question Time?

I would have liked her to insist on ansers to the question posed by Rory Stewart as to how the others would get a no-deal through parliament, that was such an important point and Emily Maitless completely let it slide.

Labaik Wed 19-Jun-19 13:23:31

Whenever Gove speaks we wait for him to mention the his father and the fact that he was adopted. Last night he also got in that he was in care for 4 weeks. Blimey; must have been traumatic Michael...you must think about it every day....

POGS Wed 19-Jun-19 15:48:58

www.theguardian.com/politics/2019/jun/19/disappointing-and-deluded-imam-lambasts-tory-hopefuls-on-islamophobia

'An imam who asked a question on the BBC’s Conservative leadership debate has been suspended by his mosque and the school he works for after it emerged he had previously made “extremely disturbing” comments on social media.'

'There was further embarrassment for the BBC after it emerged another questioner had worked for Labour. Aman Thakar stood as a council candidate for the party last year and was also involved in the running of Labour’s investigation into antisemitism.'
---

www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-48687744

' Earlier, BBC Radio 5 Live Breakfast presenter Nicky Campbell apologised for having Mr Patel as a guest on his show, saying the imam had made "extremely disturbing" comments on social media, which should have been checked.'

The BBC is not doing very well lately is it.

Day6 Wed 19-Jun-19 15:56:04

The only candidate who spoke with clarity and honesty is Rory Stewart.

Who is Thersa May, Mark2.

Heaven forbid he makes headway. He believes we should accept TM's abysmal WA. He is a Red Tory, a Leave means Remain Brexiteer, as was TM

No thanks.

looby Wed 19-Jun-19 15:59:05

I didn't think any of them came off very well but Emily was really terrible, she didn't give them enough time to speak (except Rory Stewart) or answer the questions, constantly nipping & butting in while they were speaking, that's not being tough & edgy, it's unprofessional & just plain rude! She handled it very badly indeed, but I was even more stunned by Gove's little outburst right at the end,what he said about Corbyn was outrageous! I'm not a labour supporter either by the way.

Day6 Wed 19-Jun-19 15:59:17

up against an interviewer like the late Robin Day.

This has nothing to do with the thread but am I alone in thinking the animated Robert Peston is modelling himself on Robin Day?

Anniebach Wed 19-Jun-19 16:01:37

Labaik many adults seek their birth mother , some say they have always wanted to know about their blood family
from the time they are told they are adopted even though they have loving adopted parents. I have no idea what the
effect of being given up for adoption has on Gove, neither
have you.

Day6 Wed 19-Jun-19 16:07:48

the next PM will be someone with no plan for our future, either with regards to Brexit or how to mend our broken society.

Well one has to hope hard left Labour and Corbyn never get the chance in that case.

Labour has exiled the working class with its stance on Brexit. Working class Leave voters have been sidelined and ignored.

The Labour Party has a lot to answer for in terms of a politically and socially fragmented society. They sneer at white van man, let's not forget. Can you blame such people for thinking Labour is not for them?

Broken Britain is another myth perpetrated by the left. If you believed their propaganda you'd imagine you lived anywhere but the green and pleasant lands of the UK. They seem to forget Europe and most member state countries are in turmoil too, much of it caused by a dislike of elite politicians implying they know what is best for the electorate, whether they want it or not. It is an abuse of power.

Whitewavemark2 Wed 19-Jun-19 16:17:53

Whataboutery still alive and in play I see.

It makes much more sense to address the argument rather than something entirely different.

I wouldn’t bank on Johnson either if his statement at the weekend is anything to go by. The brextremists must be feeling very twitchy.

JenniferEccles Wed 19-Jun-19 17:36:44

Emily was truly dreadful, wasn't she? Continually interrupting the candidates was very rude I thought.

Yes challenge them on what they said, but give them a chance to have their say uninterrupted.

As for the candidates, neither Rory nor Sajid were in my opinion, Prime Minister material so I hope they both get voted out.

Although I can't say I completely trust Boris, I still feel he is the best of the bunch.

I absolutely agree with him when he said that to take 'no deal' off the table in future negotiations would be crazy.

To me it's a bit like going into a car showroom to possibly buy a new car. It's vital to make it clear from the outset that we will walk away with nothing (or in political terms 'no deal') if the deal they offer us isn't good enough.

grumppa Wed 19-Jun-19 17:52:50

Emily Mantles had to keep oninterrupting because they weren't answering tbe questions and there were time constraints

We were subjected to a series of mini power cuts, presumably instigated by Boris's minders who didn't want us to notice his evasions.

Whitewavemark2 Wed 19-Jun-19 17:56:28

grumppa you didn’t miss much

Fennel Wed 19-Jun-19 18:02:03

Rory Stewart reminds me of Ed Milliband in some ways.

Nico97 Wed 19-Jun-19 18:07:50

Rory Stewart out of the race

Anniebach Wed 19-Jun-19 18:09:43

As expected

maddy47 Wed 19-Jun-19 18:09:47

Sad about that. I rather took to Rory.

Nandalot Wed 19-Jun-19 18:14:30

Yes, you’re right Fennel. Disappointed to see him go. He seemed to be offering the only alternative in a cast of lookalikes.

Calendargirl Wed 19-Jun-19 18:29:28

Rory seemed like a child masquerading as a grown up, not PM material, not that any of them are much cop.

hiljo Wed 19-Jun-19 18:51:33

They all did exactly what politicians do all the time. Said what they thought people wanted to hear. They shouted over each other like they were in a playground and non of them gave me any hope for the future

winterwhite Wed 19-Jun-19 19:06:26

Chairs were a huge mistake. I too wondered whether R S had a bad back or hip, he looked so uncomfortable it must have thrown him off his stride. IMO he was the only one to give an honest answer re tax cuts and funding public services. But he does lack gravitas. As fitness for the task ahead I would rank Hunt first, then Javid, then Johnson, then Gove. Never thought I’d rank anyone below BJ, but Gove I def do.

Callistemon Wed 19-Jun-19 19:46:31

'An imam who asked a question on the BBC’s Conservative leadership debate has been suspended by his mosque and the school he works for after it emerged he had previously made “extremely disturbing” comments on social media.'

I'm not sure if it was on the main news as I missed that, but there was certainly a report on our local news, POGS.
I think his appearance proved to be an embarrassment not just for the BBC but for people in his community too.

Callistemon Wed 19-Jun-19 19:50:26

We were subjected to a series of mini power cuts, presumably instigated by Boris's minders who didn't want us to notice his evasions.
grin
Surely you aren't suggesting that Boris is really Thor, grumppa?

Callistemon Wed 19-Jun-19 19:51:09

Rory Stewart reminds me of Ed Milliband in some ways.
Earnest and means well?

watermeadow Wed 19-Jun-19 19:51:21

I have been utterly fed up with Brexit for 3 years. Now the BBC is obsessed with which crooked, lying, power-hungry Tory will lead us further into ruin.
I switch off the radio at every current mention of politics (no TV) and cannot imagine why anyone would have watched a televised “debate”
The moment this is over the BBC will begin blanket coverage of the next US election.
I’m paying for a licence just to watch an occasional programme on I Player.

lemongrove Wed 19-Jun-19 22:43:13

Fennel I said the same, just today ( Stewart reminds me of Ed Miliband) his looks and his speech.

POGS Wed 19-Jun-19 23:02:19

Callistemon

"I'm not sure if it was on the main news as I missed that, but there was certainly a report on our local news, POGS."
--

It was being covered today , not sure about the BBC news coverage.

The BBC is certainly getting it's supposed impartiality questioned of late .

I think it has indirectly done neither Patel or Thakar any good by being chosen if the latest Guardian update is correct.

varian Thu 20-Jun-19 11:04:27

JenniferEccles has posted-

"To me it's a bit like going into a car showroom to possibly buy a new car. It's vital to make it clear from the outset that we will walk away with nothing (or in political terms 'no deal') if the deal they offer us isn't good enough."

This is a totally fallacious argument. If you walk away from the car showroom you still have exactly the same amount of money as when you went in. You lose nothing.

If we walk away from the EU with no deal we will be immeasureably worse off for generations to come - trashed economy, damaged national security and greatly diminished standing in the world.

If you want an analogy it is like threatening our partner by saying "if you don't give me what I want I'll shoot myself."

I'm just staggered that leavers keep repeating this stupid argument.

humptydumpty Thu 20-Jun-19 11:16:03

Completely agree, varian - what a ridiculous statement.

winterwhite Thu 20-Jun-19 11:50:12

I think I've missed something re Mr Patel. His question was, 'Do you agree that words have consequences?' Isn't it retrospective 'no platform'-ing to say that he should have been debarred from asking it because of what we now know? Of course if the BBC had known his background they would have chosen someone else, and his motives seem rather odd, but at the time I thought it a good and fair question.
The last questioner seemed at the time an obvious Labour plant, but it was a clear and neutral question so did that matter?

Callistemon Thu 20-Jun-19 13:55:41

As far as I understand it, winterwhite (and I could be wrong), the problem was with the questioner who apparently had a controversial Twitter account which was deleted/hidden before he appeared on BBC radio and tv, then has been resurrected since then.
His views on there, apparently, do not accord with those in his own community who sound like sensible people.

varian Thu 20-Jun-19 16:31:07

Femi Oluwale gives the Tory leadership contenders a fair hearing

www.facebook.com/watch/?v=2256071154656394